Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: March Brown

Default March Brown

March Brown

A variation of an old well known Scottish Atlantic Salmon pattern.

march brown.jpg

Hook - Blue Heron #2
    Tag - Large gold flat tinsel
    Tail - Natural mallard flank
    Body - Brown Euro seal dub
    Rib - Large gold flat tinsel and medium gold French tinsel
    Hackle - Brown chickabou
    Collar - Brown schlappen followed by natural mallard flank
    Wing - Natural turkey tail
    Eye - JC
    Head - Black thread and Loon UV cure

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: March Brown

That is not only a really pretty fly Mike but they are effective too! I can only guess that any steelhead fishing I have for the remainder of 2019 may be low water fishing conditions even though it's raining today. Raining

The conditions have made me rearrange my selection of flies I take with and small dark patterns on traditional hooks are making up about 50 to 60% of the bunch. My long anticipated trip south to Oregon may be finished until winter due to warm and low there as well. At least it is raining today and the temps have cooled to highs in the mid 60's for the past 14 days, that is helping things a little here. Still not enough water in my home river for me to operate my boat but a few days rain would change that maybe.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes mcnerney, flytie09 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Beautiful work, congrats!
    Larry

6. Thanks flytie09 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    That is not only a really pretty fly Mike but they are effective too! I can only guess that any steelhead fishing I have for the remainder of 2019 may be low water fishing conditions even though it's raining today. Raining

The conditions have made me rearrange my selection of flies I take with and small dark patterns on traditional hooks are making up about 50 to 60% of the bunch. My long anticipated trip south to Oregon may be finished until winter due to warm and low there as well. At least it is raining today and the temps have cooled to highs in the mid 60's for the past 14 days, that is helping things a little here. Still not enough water in my home river for me to operate my boat but a few days rain would change that maybe.
    Sorry to hear about your sparse local fishing and change of plans for Oregon Ard. Where in Oregon were you planning to go? I have a few days in late September I was planning to possibly run down to the Lower Deschutes River and chase some Steelhead. I don't know how the fishing has been but water level at 3300 cfs near Madras and 62 deg F at mid-day sound decent to me.

I was there last year and encountered the devastating fire than forced a change of plans. It was a life altering event seeing the singed canyon smoldering miles in the distance and the amount of damage it did. It is a cathartic and calming experience to be down in that canyon and fish that river.

Hopefully you make it down there soon.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso