Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Default Leather fly wallet

You rarely see anyone using leather fly wallets any more. Well..... here’s two that a wonderful member (Bigfoot) over at Speypages made for me. The design..... I’ve never seen before. It keeps the flies upright instead of laying flat against the fleece or locked in a clip. This protects the wings by preventing them from getting all smashed up.... And the fleece helps to protect the delicate hackles. It’s nice to have ones hard work remain that way until a Steelhead slimes them all up.

0D19054E-193B-4F7A-B3AF-4A5A3232049C.jpg

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Default Re: Leather fly wallet

Appears to be a well thought out design.
    The only leather fly wallet I ever owned was bought from Hardy's, I loved it but unfortunately lost it while trekking around one of our larger stillwater's, I like to cover a lot of ground when fishing.
    I had a synthetic one I bought from Orvis but that wore out, I would love to find another but my searches have proven fruitless.
    The leather wallet was better at protecting the flies because the sides of the wallet didn't collapse under pressure as the synthetic one did, that tended to crush the flies, nymphs and spiders,but the trout didn't seem to mind.
    When time allows I will take up the challenge of making a few, something new to learn and I am always searching charity shops for old leather school satchels which will provide the raw materials I hope.
    When I get around to making one it will be attached to me with a zinger, a strong one, don't want to lose another wallet containing hundreds of flies, it is rather upsetting to say the least.
    I used and still use a Wheatley box for wet flies, both hackled and winged.

3. Likes Lewis Chessman, flytie09 liked this post

Very interesting design, I like it. Is there a wooden block in the middle where the two pieces overlap and snap closed?

There is. I don’t know if it’s cork or some other type of wood. There’s only 4x of these style made to my knowledge. Other design elements to help add stiffness and durability are included as well. Bigfoot did a tremendous job and I can’t say enough.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Blog Entries

Nice Mike,

I've admired Bob's work ever since he let the cat outta the bag but as you know I sold off my wallets a couple years back and so never ask him for one of his.

They'll last a life time I'm sure.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes flytie09 liked this post