The Minny Skinny Stonefly

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I've gotten quite a lot of interest in this fly here. from posts to messages, so Ive finally decided to try and put a few up for sale. Currently I am tying these on a size 14 2XL hook, in olive and golden:

I am asking $40 for a dozen, shipped in the conti US. Amazon payments, check or money orders would work best for me.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Beautiful fly nevadanstig.Great job!

How did you get the leg biots to stay bent like that?They do not appear tied,just look bent.
Heat up a bodkin or needle over a candle flame, and touch it to the biots and they'll bend. It's a VERY touchy process, too much heat and you'll burn right through it, not enough and nothing happens. I prefer a bodkin over a needle, the needles burn through a lot easier.
If you try it, put a touch of head cement or super glue in the bends when you are done, and they'll last a bit longer. After fishing for a while, they'll want to fold back out to straight. I mostly just tie these now with rubber legs, as those are both easier and more durable. But nothing has that look like the bent biots.
Just as an FYI this is an old post originally and I no longer have a surplus, so none for sale currently.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Heat up a bodkin or needle over a candle flame, and touch it to the biots and they'll bend. It's a VERY touchy process, too much heat and you'll burn right through it, not enough and nothing happens. I prefer a bodkin over a needle, the needles burn through a lot easier.
If you try it, put a touch of head cement or super glue in the bends when you are done, and they'll last a bit longer. After fishing for a while, they'll want to fold back out to straight. I mostly just tie these now with rubber legs, as those are both easier and more durable. But nothing has that look like the bent biots.
Just as an FYI this is an old post originally and I no longer have a surplus, so none for sale currently.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
Thanks for Sharing that.They look amazing.I will definitely try it.