Bunny Fur and Sculpins

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Now that I can fish such a big fly and purchased some black bunny strips what are your favorite patterns? I was thinking egg sucking bunny leech for my first attempt.

Far as I know very few are fished here figuring 90% of flies used here are glo yarn.

Curious about sculpins and how you fish them.

Thank you, UF

A list of fish for fly pattern suggestions.

Understanding - Fish

Last edited:

klunker

Reaction score
I'd use sculpin or leech patterns in about 4-6 in length. Colors of olive or black.
Some smaller 2-4 inch "minnow" patterns. Colors in white or pearl.
I don't know if its legal in MN but in WI we can use 2 flies at a time.
a very effective method when swinging flies is to have 1st fly a bigger minnow/sculpin/leech pattern and about 2 ft trailer tie on yarn egg or a nymph.
There are times when the fish are really keying in on eggs. They will readily hit a swung egg contrary to what everyone says about fishing eggs. In fact I have caught fish on stripped eggs!!
I know I have had days when everything I've caught have been on the trailer eggs/nymphs.
Spring time especially you'll notice the "egg" bite before or during spawning time. After they spawn and start dropping back then the minnow patterns in white/pearl are killer.
In the fall if you have heavy salmon runs eggs will be good for awhile then till ice up LARGE flys work well.
But ALWAYS if you get no action on thing try something else.. Like I said else where, swing, twitch, strip, big fly, small fly, dark fly, light fly. Never know what will tickle a fishes fancy. I don't think patterns matter a whole lot. Mostly size and the way you fish it.

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Single hook only in MN, I`m at my bench right now surfing patterns.

With some of the larger patterns to be legal it looks like I have to tie tube flies and get that hook back there. Am I barking up the right tree?

Thinking about design right now.

The most common sculpin is the mottled sculpin according to my link above.

Very interesting that the north shore Black Nose Dace is bright orange. hmmmmmm makes sense Orange, orange is a good color up here.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I can come up with some better photos of what I tie but the one here matches with many Sculpins all over the country.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Found one a little shorter and even a fish that took it on the first cast.

They are tied on shanks with a single trailing hook at the rear, usually a size 6 or 8 hook.

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Damn nice fish and sculpins Hardy, how do you fish those big things?

That looks like the common size for the north shore as well. 3 to 3.6 inches

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I'd use sculpin or leech patterns in about 4-6 in length. Colors of olive or black.
Some smaller 2-4 inch "minnow" patterns. Colors in white or pearl.
I don't know if its legal in MN but in WI we can use 2 flies at a time.
a very effective method when swinging flies is to have 1st fly a bigger minnow/sculpin/leech pattern and about 2 ft trailer tie on yarn egg or a nymph.
There are times when the fish are really keying in on eggs. They will readily hit a swung egg contrary to what everyone says about fishing eggs. In fact I have caught fish on stripped eggs!!
I know I have had days when everything I've caught have been on the trailer eggs/nymphs.
Spring time especially you'll notice the "egg" bite before or during spawning time. After they spawn and start dropping back then the minnow patterns in white/pearl are killer.
In the fall if you have heavy salmon runs eggs will be good for awhile then till ice up LARGE flys work well.
But ALWAYS if you get no action on thing try something else.. Like I said else where, swing, twitch, strip, big fly, small fly, dark fly, light fly. Never know what will tickle a fishes fancy. I don't think patterns matter a whole lot. Mostly size and the way you fish it.
Oh man, in depth. In my experience patterns, size, color all of it matters where I fish. I`ve caught a lot of fish on snelled glo yarn flies and then they want none of it. Put on a big marabou fly or black bugger and they hammer it.

Orange they love it and then you can`t hook anything, switch colors and find one they like and they hammer it. They only want that one color and that`s it.

It happens a lot they hit one fly the best. I`m just expanding my fly library.

I have been on both ends of I`m hooking fish one after another and everyone is trying to see what I`m fishing because not a bite or fish for them and I`ve watched guys hook fish after fish and I went home with nothing. Not a bite.

Water temps, time of the run, time of day theres a lot to it.

When it`s really cold, I wait till oh say 11:30- noon, everybody is fighting for turf at this one good area at sunrise. They fish and catch a few but eventually they are all hungry, cold or frustrated and leave for food and warmth.

I show up at noon rested, warm and full with fish starting to jump the falls, the river warming and no one around, and they bite very well usually when they are active and on the move.

They do like eggs first and that`s what most people do a small yarn egg. I tie some streamers with glow yarn and regular materials that work well early. I like flashy flies early, good sized with slow presentations when its cold.

These two work well early but not fun to cast even on a 8 weight. Those days are over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I use them in conjunction with my weighted leaders and cast them with all my rods. You can throw them with a 7'9" Far & Fine but for the big rivers I use an old 13'9" Hardy Spey rod that casts an 800 grain line with 65' belly. The line has the mass to carry those out to 90 foot. For medium size waters where a 50 - 60 foot cast is the maximum I use a 11' 6" Hardy Swift with a 475 grain Beulah Elixir with a 37' head. If you combine the Helmet Head with a 4' section of T-11 they will get way down in swift water, very effective fly. In slower water I use a lighter head on the fly like the slider below.

For really light casting you can make Sculpin like tubes with a small cone;

honyuk96

Reaction score
This is my favorite, a Kevin Feenstra pattern called Aquatic Nuisance. It's a flat out fish catcher.

coastrider

Reaction score
Awesome thread guys, this deserves to a sticky thread!

sent from the North Pole

honyuk96

Reaction score
Here's a few sculpin types that I tie and work well. This first one is just a generic big ugly that has caught.

Next is Kelly Galloups Zoo Cougar. I like tying these w a big fat airy head. This is an articulated fly, lots of movement, pushes water and catches fish.

Lastly, another spin on a Kevin Feenstra Aquatic Nuisance. Jumbo lead eyes and this one tied w a laser dub head, another deadly variant.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
According to one book that I have, my buddy Gary is credited with originating the " bunny fly"
I've never even asked him about this and I'm sure that he'd deny it if asked :rolleyes:, if he even knows....

bunny strip tail
palmered bunny strip body.... cross cut unnecessary

honyuk96

Reaction score
Chubby Sex Chicken. This ones new to me. It sure has all the right elements, I may revisit this one and come up w a version on a shank.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

I picked up the envelope yesterday and will get busy with the contents right away, thanks :) This fly looks really good but why not trade the yellow for some charcoal grey.......... I use some which have no weight that are very similar but keep them drab and they are really effective. Every now and then we catch on flies with red or hot pink in them and I can never say why precisely but when they scoop up the brown and gray patterns I'm pretty sure the fly was taken as a sculpin or leech,

I like it a lot but would tone it down a little for here. If they work on the fish there for you then no problems with the yellow.

Nice tying

honyuk96

Reaction score
Hi Ard, I'm glad that pkg made it all the way to AK. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with. As for this latest effort of mine, I couldn't agree more on the yellow, it's the only color I had in magnum strips.:confused: I whipped this up real quick this afternoon while my son was napping. I really just wanted to get the tying steps down. I will revisit this one when I get proper colored material, maybe throw some big pectoral fins in like yours w the pheasant. I dunno, just messing around. Guys around here do rave about yellow for resident browns, but I've yet to have very good luck w it myself. I even tried to tone down the vibrant yellow w a prismacolor, but it's still quite " in your face " stay tuned here I'll continue to add when I can.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The big hen pheasant feathers come from up around the shoulders. I don't think you can go too big because they tend to be swept back when everything is wet and moving. If anything they just add to the overall molted coloration of the whole thing. I guess they might provide some balance as well because the flies always seem to be upright when I look at them. Thanks again :)

flycaster1977

Reaction score
Ard. I tie a sculpin very similar to yours. I used a stiff saddle hackle tied as a mid collar to prop up the "fins" on the sides.

As for other uses of bunny, i tie the double bunny alot, then add a stinger hook to it and trim the front hook off to fish for steelies. Also an all black leech has done well for me.

Ben

honyuk96

Reaction score
Ard. I tie a sculpin very similar to yours. I used a stiff saddle hackle tied as a mid collar to prop up the "fins" on the sides.

As for other uses of bunny, i tie the double bunny alot, then add a stinger hook to it and trim the front hook off to fish for steelies. Also an all black leech has done well for me.

Ben
Hi Ben, I'd enjoy seeing your sculpin pattern if your able nod willing to post up a photo. Thanks
Matt

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
They been working me sun up to sun down since vacation, have not tied a bunny fur UF variant yet.

Question please- What grain of spey line can handle these flies for casting Scandinavian and skagit?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Almost any line so long as the fly is not too heavily weighted. You just change your casting to accommodate the larger fly. Sometimes you find that you won't make the same distances with the larger flies but it's a trade off that way. I fish big flies on a single hand 5 weight and on heavy Spey rods.