The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future
Default What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

Thought we could get some Spey, classic, streamer, intruder, sculpin, patterns going. I'm working on some intruders tonight, and I found spey hackle!

Way too quiet in this section for steelhead and salmon fishermen.

Pics to follow!

Last edited by unknownflyman; 08-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future
Default Re: What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

Still looking and designing.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 PM

I tied up a couple smaller sculpins in black nose dace traditional streamer colors. Trying to create steelhead flies for the home rivers. I think these will cast well and swing deep on sink tip or poly leader. More of a design than finished.

I wanted extra action so I went with longer grizzly hackle to make the longer marabou stand out in more of a spey hackle style.

Click the image to open in full size.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kayo, flytie09, Ard, dean_mt, bigjim5589 liked this post
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM

honyuk96 is a splendid one to beholdhonyuk96 is a splendid one to beholdhonyuk96 is a splendid one to beholdhonyuk96 is a splendid one to beholdhonyuk96 is a splendid one to beholdhonyuk96 is a splendid one to behold

Leave the sink tips at home w those. You won't need/want them.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes unknownflyman liked this post
Old 09-04-2015, 03:07 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I did a blog post recently on my favorite flies. I've been tying a batch of all these for trips to the Miramichi in September and October:

Gary
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-15-2015, 06:06 PM

So, I posted this on the Speypages and forgot to post this over here on my home site for this I apologize But I can give a bit more insight over here because of the time the intruders have spent in the water hunting fish.

Intruder's first series

Lake Superior Dace

Ride The Lighting

The Hen Catcher

Black Magic

The blue ride the lighting intruder has out produced everything else at this point but there is some season left.

Last edited by unknownflyman; 10-15-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes king joe, Ard, dean_mt, bigjim5589 liked this post
Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 PM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future

A trifecta of Signature Intruders. I hope they get to sniff a Steelie next week up in NY.

ft09
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, unknownflyman, mcnerney, bigjim5589 liked this post
Old 10-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Nice tying fellas,

I have been quite at the bench because I made enough flies between trips to last until the ice comes. I did make a few articulated flesh flies but didn't photograph them. I'm fishing Wednesday and will no doubt swing a little of everything, some attractors some sculpins and some with the flesh color. One of my favorite haunts had so many pinks this August that flesh is still coming down plus the early silvers are dying off right now.

If I come up with any remarkable fish I'll get a shot of the fly then

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes unknownflyman, mcnerney liked this post
Old 10-19-2015, 05:21 PM

Thanks Hardyreels,

My next series will be without dumbbell eyes I'm casting a t-11 mow tip, Dumbbells go too deep. The season closes in a month on my home river and two weeks of that I'll be hunting deer not steelhead. Seeing pics now of big steelhead and lake run Browns. I got one last shot this year. Hopefully I can get a last report in too with some nice pics.

And then the fly tying over the winter starts again, I want to get into classics, spey's and dee's

Cheers!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 PM

s fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

I feel like these are the first flies i've tied all year. there may be others, but if there were, i can't remember them

a couple of hare's ears swingers. Experimented with fiber density on the hackles and different heads. The collar hackle is a nice GP flank dyed claret!

If anyone on the east coast is going to shows this fall, i'll be at The Art of the Angler Show in Danbury CT, on Oct 31 and Nov 1

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 02-27-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rockriver, Ard, castoff liked this post