Thunder and Lightning Hairwing

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nicely done!

I make that but mine looks quite different, I suspect it's a regional thing, which pattern you are following etc. Then there's the fact that two different tiers are at it and translate things to their liking. I'm going to post one, not in a competitive way but to show you how different the two are, hope you don't mind.

Looking at the two yours is more elegant I think, a sparser wing and shows that you came up deep in the steelhead culture while my flies seem chunky, probably the result of trying too hard.............

Thanks for keeping the threads filled with your beautiful flies :)

sagephreak

Reaction score
Nicely done!

I make that but mine looks quite different, I suspect it's a regional thing, which pattern you are following etc. Then there's the fact that two different tiers are at it and translate things to their liking. I'm going to post one, not in a competitive way but to show you how different the two are, hope you don't mind.

Looking at the two yours is more elegant I think, a sparser wing and shows that you came up deep in the steelhead culture while my flies seem chunky, probably the result of trying too hard.............

Thanks for keeping the threads filled with your beautiful flies :)
Not really following any specific recipe, but used colors that go well together for steelhead in this area, black, orange and blue. will tie the Munro Killer in same colors. This one i used black bear for the wing. Bit unruly stuff.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always used Fitch tail when things call for black bear but have a problem when it comes to proportioning the flies. The one in the picture wanted to swim on its side because of the dense throat. I'll make a couple this winter and cut down on the amount of materials and I'll bet they swing upright.

sagephreak

Reaction score
Black bear tends to get a bit unruly, I tend to stick to squirrel mostly grey, black,red and fox squirrel. Much easier to work with. For tubes there is a wide range of furs to use all different thickness and densities, right now I'm playing with snow runner there is a trick to prepping it but it sure takes dyes nice.

gt05254

Reaction score
I've switched to black kid goat for all my hairwings that call for a black wing. It ties in nicely, looks great in the water, and the fish seem to go for it, too.

Nice flies, guys!
Gary