The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 07-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Sunray Shadow Variant - Video;

It's been about 5 years since I found this pattern and I believe the first one was a Ryan Houston tie. I've been tying and fishing the Northern European style tube patterns since discovering them. The video posted is just one of many this fellow has put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Ws22gRBlk

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, kentuckysteve liked this post
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sunray Shadow Variant - Video;

I love these

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 07-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Hi Dallas,

They are simple and they work, if I were still in the lower 48 I couldn't imagine a better black nose dace pattern than the original Sunray Shadow tube. The original is just white bucktail, black goat and some herl. I use the basic design on about 75% of my trout & steelhead flies now.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-15-2017, 07:58 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

As do I. In the yellow river in Iowa, I cleaned up with a simple yellow or orange underwing, and black over wing.

Also, a variant of this with white underwing, Olive overwing, pink hackles on the side make a great baby rainbow trout pattern

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard liked this post