The Flies Are Coming

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

It is a little harder to get a new forum up and running than one would think. However I am going about the work of putting together a listing of patterns that have been proven producers from many areas of Alaska. We will also have a series of threads that will present the flies and their tying recipes in case you are coming this way in the future.

One key ingredient for success of the Ak. forums will be getting as many Alaskan fishermen signed on to NAFFF as possible over the next few months. If this comes about there will be a much greater depth of experience for our membership to draw upon than is currently available.

If you have suggestions regarding things you would like to see contained in the AK. forums please forward them via PM to me and I will see what we can come up with.

Ard

AKGuide

Reaction score
Ard,

I have a gallery of patterns over at Fly Patterns for Alaska - Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Trips

I just put this list up Feb 14 2010 and will be adding to it as I have the time, If you click on any of the photo's it opens a slide show of the patterns. I'll be checking in here from now on as well as you never know where your next favorite pattern will come from.

Paul Hansen

Oh Favorite patterns at this point. Sz 2 Zuddler - Black (Per one of my clients) Moorsih's Mouse and the Dali Lama Black/White - Olive/White - Black/Ginger and the flesh version for fall.

Paul

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi tsbrike,

Welcome to the forums: Yes I will have a collection of silver flies along with patterns for the other four species e get here.

I will be getting flies posted over the next couple days. There will also be some dries for fishing Trout, Grayling, and Char found in interior rivers and lakes.

By the way, where are you located?

Ard

AKGuide

Reaction score
Would these flies work equally good on Silver Salmon???
I've had luck for silvers on any of these..

And yes there are so many more. Even had a 17 pound buck take a
while fishing for grayling ...

more photo's on my site & more to come. Link below.

Paul

tsbirke

Reaction score
Ard- I'm in New England, but planning to come to Prince William Sound in the Fall for Silvers. Trying to get my knowledge curve built up on flies before I get there

Thanks for the effort,
Ted

Ted

boser

Reaction score
Ard, I want to personally thank you. This should be an awesome site.....I may not be able to make it to Alaska for a few years but this thread should certainly teach me about what I will need.

Regards, Boser

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Paul, Those are really some nice flies. Do you tie them?

Boser

AKGuide

Reaction score
Ted: Where are you headed to in the sound?...

Boser: I used to tie but about five years ago I became a single dad and since then I have my hands full. So these days I just buy them when I need them for my trips. I also have quite a few regular customers that tie and somehow at times I end up with more flies then I started with ... I will be adding more patterns to the site as I can but the current version of the site took a few months to get together and I have more river descriptions to get written first. Got to have the info for folks to consider taking the trips.

Paul

tsbirke

Reaction score
Going to a Kiklukh Lodge, about 45 SE of Cordova

Understand there is a lot of top water fishing for silvers

Ted

AKGuide

Reaction score
Ted,

That should be a good trip...as I recall fishing the incoming tides as the silvers run into the river and lots of top water action ... I have several friends that have been in that area albeit a different operation/river along what I believe is sometimes called to forgotten coast...I chuckle as it is not all that forgotten anymore. :)

Paul

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The threads are started and I will be adding more salmon flies soon. I will tie some more of the keep it simple patterns and get them up. Remember, if you have some to post (your ties) feel free a little help wouldn't hurt.

I am thinking on a dry fly and nymph thread also. I don't go Grayling fishing often but some flies would be a good thing I think.

Ard