Egg Sucking leach patterns?

jborn

Reaction score
I am interested in making some egg sucking leaches to fish for Rainbows and Steelhead in Alaska and I have a number of questions.

1. Hook Size?
2. Egg Size?
3. Egg Color?
4. Body Color?
5. Weighted?

I would also like your opinion about placing a bead on the hook in place of the fiber egg. Would this be effective?

Thanks

jlb

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

One pattern that is getting some play recently is the Moal Leech, if you Google that you'll get some you tube tying videos.

I used to make them on standard salmon hooks with a trailing bunny strip but have been swayed to making them on a cut shank and then trailing a #6 Mustad egg hook by stringing it through the bunny strip on 15 pound Spyder Wire. This style acts a whole lot more like a real leech and has good hooking qualities as if you don't make them too long. 3" works well, with or with out the orange head.

Ard

mikel

Reaction score
My experience with them suggests assorted sizes from about 4 to 10 or 12 to cover trout and steelhead both. I don't tie, but fish them with assorted head colors from dark red to paler colors, to match the changing colors of the naturals. I also fish them with bunny tails and more sparsely tied, depending on what's working.

If you swing them under spawning salmon, hang on :)

Hope I helped...-m