New Generation Flies For Alaskan Salmon & Trout;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have turned over a new leaf so to say and will begin listing the new style flies I am tying and some of which have already proven to be great fish catchers.

I will first post the pictures and as time allows I'll edit in the tying materials lists for each pattern.

Here we go ...........

Skykomish Sunrise, 2 variations tied on Pro Tube Micro flex tubes.

Tying Materials:
The Tube:pro Tube Micro black with 1/4" of clear shrink tubing welded on the rear for hook junction.
Rear hackle: Sunburst yellow & orange / red dyed schlappen folded and wound full
Body: Red chenille with a very old silver garland circa 1980; use what ever you have for some sparkle
Front hackles: Place a small dubbing or chenille ball on the tube then wind the 2 colors schlappen again
Wing: White hair; this is arctic fox but any white hair will work fine
Cone: I painted that but any cone will do, the cone is removeable
Species: All salmon & rainbow trout

Tying:
Very much the same but showing ribbing like most will have available and no cone.

AK. Assassin tied on Pro Tube flex tube, with & without cone.

Hot Orange;

Black & Purple tube with Hot Pink Fox Wing;

Copper & brown / Black Intruder with hidden weight; Intruders are tied on cut shanks from old salmon hooks.

Purple & black Intruder;

Black & Blue Intruders;

Sculpin Helmet Sculpin Minnow Shank Flies.

Just to show that I haven't left my traditional flies behind a pair of Western Doctors.

Dark Wing;

Light wing;

Silver Salmon & Trout :shades:

Last edited:
L

Liphookedau

Hi Ard.
As Us Aussies would say "You have done really Good" your Tubes look Really Good also The Salmon Flies all look Real Fish Catchers.
Brian

jaybo41

Reaction score
Ard,

It's a real treat to follow your progress as you have begun to tie on tubes and shanks. The proportions and color choices are spot on. Your flies look like fish catchers for sure. The purple & black with pink wing is singing to me, really really well done!

The copper brown and black shank is a real gem too. I love that you wrapped that fly with copper wire and added another wrap over it. That's such a great looking fly.

Then there's those sculpins of yours, we already know they're fish catchers:) I hope with your new found talents you won't push the classics aside too long, I enjoy seeing those patterns of yours too.

Your clients should be very pleased this year, that's a great looking fly selection and a wonderful variety you're putting together!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Ard, your flies are always superb IMO! A skilled tier, which you certainly are can tie anything! Truly inspiring! :worthy:

I'll probably never get to fish in Alaska, but when I see flies like this, in my mind they become bass flies as well, particularly for stream or river bass! In the copper & brown, and the black & blue Intruders I see crayfish patterns! Awesome! :clap:

IMO, anyone who ties & doesn't expand their horizons is not taking full advantage of all the wonderful talent & learning opportunities that are available today!

Thanks for posting them! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the derailment of Ard's thread about his wonderful Next Gen flies for Alaskan Salmon and Trout but you bring up a very good point Jim.

When I started tying tubes and shanks for steelies, I honed in on my craft by tying them for smallmouth in a stream. Your point is well taken, just because anglers and tiers see these flies all over the various publications primarily for steelhead or salmon doesn't mean they only work on anadromous fish. If you tie streamers for whatever species, you should consider trying to tie on tubes. Some guys do nymphs and dries on tubes, but my personal opinion is that they really shine on streamers.

You're right on though, there is much that can be learned if the individual is so inclined. I can personally say that the web has expanded my horizons significantly.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks, I believe that there will be improvements all around on the flies for 2014 because I'll fine tune a bit as I go. I'm just now starting to realize that I make all the tubes in the same style as the shank flies. I intend to change that up and make a more traditional type fly but tie it on a tube. I think the Micro tubes will be best suited for that and expect I'll finish the batches I'm working on and then change things up a bit.

I make almost everything with really full hackle because of the places I fish. There are few windows in water conditions where sparse tied or low water patterns seem to make sense. because of that I go for things that will attract a fish in high - swift water which often times has color to it also.

I'll continue to build the list so that people who are headed here regardless of it being a do it yourself trip or other will be able to see what I am using. There are so many flies to choose from in the stores here and many will work. However, if you are one of the 'I want to tie my own' crowd these are a place to start maybe.

Ard

gzarboni

Reaction score
Wow. Beautiful flies. Thank you for sharing and providing some inspiration to a new and upcoming tier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Glen,

I forgot all about this thread.... I've made about 3 dozen more since this was posted. Sculpins and Rainbow Parr on tubes. I'm pretty much ready but am rebuilding the deck on the rear of our home here before I can go fishing again. I went 8 days ago and found no steelhead, it's still a little cold here so it's early. Another week and there should be a few moving around.

We don't see the kind of fish numbers that are in places like the Salmon RIver. The fish are wild and they are not plentiful so it is not unusual to get skunked when fishing for them here.

gzarboni

Reaction score
Hey Ard. I to am doing some home repairs. I have been out a few times. The browns are starting to bite. Still quite cool here also. The water temps are only 37 degrees. So another week or so and we should be good to go. This is a pic of what a friend of mine picked up 2 weeks ago.

You take care Ard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk