Flexament thinner substitute?

JoJer

Reaction score
I recently started using one of those plastic squeeze bottles with a metal tube to apply head cement. I just now had to clean the tube and thin the Flexament again. Does anyone know of a cheaper substitute for the thinner?

kelkay

Reaction score
I recently started using one of those plastic squeeze bottles with a metal tube to apply head cement. I just now had to clean the tube and thin the Flexament again. Does anyone know of a cheaper substitute for the thinner?
I have asked that question myself. I thin stuff with rubbing alcohol, or denatured alcohol depending on what it is. Denatured alcohol also helps clean up the fly tying desk, but do not use it where you would have food around.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi JoJer,

Not too long ago we had someone post a list of the proper solvent for different types of head cement. Maybe they will post it again for us.

Frank

kelkay

Reaction score
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/f39/fly-tying-tips-sticky-9117.html

I found it on the website on a sticky. This is great news. I have some Flexament but did not want to buy the thinner, when I knew there was something else I could use, and cheaper.

Vinyl cement types like Softex, Dave’s Flexament- thin with Goof-Off, Toluene, or Xylene. You can make your own vinyl cement with a tube of Household Goop thinned with Toluene or Xylene.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Umpqua_Dave_s_Flexament/content_255665475204
I found this review on Flexament and it is very good, I highly recommend it for newbies.

kelkay

Reaction score
I tried to edit my message, but was not able to because of a fifteen min time period to do so. I knew Toluene was not a very safe chemical, so I decided to check on Xylene...it didn't look too good either...to have in my house. So then I just knew Goof-Off would be safer than either of the previous two...wrong again. I tried to see what the Flexament thinner was at the store, but I did not see what the ingredients were. At least it is in a smaller quantity. I may just buy it instead of a much bigger can of Xylene. Too bad I cannot thin it with Denatured Alcohol, or better yet...Rubbing Alcohol. Oh well, that is how it goes I guess.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi kelkay,

I tried to thin a brand new bottle of Flexament and it turned to a messy jell.

I am posting the section of the sticky about thinners below for all to see. Thanks again for Mark putting together that sticky.

Frank

Thinners for head cement and other tying liquids- (peregrines) There are different types of head cement so you have to know which type you’re using to get the right thinner. Always test with a small drop to make sure it doesn’t go cloudy to make sure you’ve matched up the type of head cement with the right thinner.
Lacquer types- “Deep penetrating” nitrocellulose based lacquers with that nail polish smell – thin with lacquer thinner from hardware store.
Water based- thin with water or rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) it’ll dry faster when applied to heads if cut with rubbing alcohol (or vodka!), instead of water. And if you sip some vodka too it’ll seem even faster.
Vinyl cement types like Softex, Dave’s Flexament- thin with Goof-Off, Toluene, or Xylene. You can make your own vinyl cement with a tube of Household Goop thinned with Toluene or Xylene.
Epoxy- thin with acetone or isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) or vodka.

Bigfly

Reaction score
This goop recipe saves the day since I can't find fleximent anymore, got to have it for hopper wings.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Dave Whitlock is now on contract with Rainey's Flies. All of his signature products, including Flex Cement, will be distributed by Rainey's. For now, you can get some generic vinyl cement and thinner through a shop that carries Wapsi fly tying products.

MP

sandfly

Reaction score
Been using the goop for years now, best stuff to use for a flexable glue. I thin with Toulene, I keep some in a old thinner bottle in the house and the rest out with my paint supplies in the garage. I make several different glues for my self.