Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Dries with wings

I am having trouble finding a fly that I've had in my flybox and used it Saturday on some very picky fish and it worked great. I think it was a caddis dry fly with swept back wings but the wings were made of something that look like duck wings, not any kind of hair. They looked like real wings. I cannot locate any on the web nor do I remember where I got them from. Any one see anything like that?
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

Default Re: Dries with wings

Might have been a Hemingway Caddis,

Schroeder's Parachute Caddis,

or possibly the Henryville Special.

These are all commercially available, but a bit hard to find as they're somewhat out of fashion.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

When I need a very realistic caddis topwater pattern, I ver much like to use a tape wing pattern -

http://www.eflytyer.com/patterns/tape_wing_caddis.html

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Any of the ones that Cliff posted will work.. I just like this one...
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the others are hard to get, these that you both posted look like they will work. The ones I had had shaped wings and looked just like swept back wings. The fish really hammered them when nothing else worked. One rainbow jumped out of the water and caught the fly in her throat on the way up like a polaris missle coming from a submarine! It was really cool!
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    . One rainbow jumped out of the water and caught the fly in her throat on the way up like a polaris missle coming from a submarine! It was really cool!
    That's why I'll take a caddis hatch over mayflies almost any ol' time.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

7. Default Re: Dries with wings

Where im from theyre called slow water caddis, and they come in black or brown.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Back when I lived in a place I needed caddis flies, I used to tie a very realistic wing version with the liner from a padded manila envelope. I have not seen these envelopes in years. But when I made them with them it was the best wings ever. It kind of had the feel of Tyvec.