Source for "Bread Flys"

Tracker12

Reaction score
I am in need of a source for a bread fly imitation. I have a few ponds I want to carp fish for and would like to try this fly. Any suggestions?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Tracker12,

You can get some egg yarn and tie one with a little imagination. Or there is a Bread fly from Feather-Craft if you don't tye.

Frank

Yarn Bread fly

Feather-Craft Bread Fly

BigCliff

Reaction score
To me that feather-craft bread fly looks like its velcro, felt, or a furniture slider pad. All could be easily superglued to a hook, but I don't know how well they'd float.

Another option would be to superglue sections of sponge to a hook. One could also add flavor/scent to the sponge, but you didn't hear that here.

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Hers a couple links. One of them is the egg yarn one that was posted by Frank before but theres a deer hair fly with it.

Bread Flies
BREAD FLY - FLOAT
Tying flies for carp
These are a few. I will look for more. These aren't my Ideas, but you could try a sucker spawn on a dry fly hook w/floatant, or pom pom balls.

Heres another link. Check out the second and third on the list:http://augustaflyfishing.com/carpflies.html
Heres an article/pattern:http://blog.barracudaguiding.co.uk/blog/_archives/2009/4/18/4156470.html

Heres a recipe:My favoured hook for this job is a Partridge Barbless Shrimp hook, Size 16, a good strong hook with an offset point to assist setting. White tying thread is wound down from the eye to the start of the bend and then dubbed with small pinches of white rabbit fur pulled from a typical zonker strip, when twisting the fur onto the thread i chose to ensure i only catch in about 10% of the furs length, and i wind the thread as many times as needed till the fur stands up vertically, working back toward the eye as we build it up should eventually amount to a pattern.