Hook design and leader knots-which with what?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Great Thread going on in the UK 'Mother Board' on up/down/ring eye hooks and what knot(s) to use with each for best effect.

First time I've ever seen/read a discussion on this topic. Fascinating to say the least, as in 'who knew???':secret:

You're log in info here is the same as 'over there' if you want to join in the discussion.

up eye and down eye hooks - Fly Fishing Forums

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fred,

We can talk about this here if you like also. I have found that for me the knot that I have come to know as the Orvis knot is the best all around connection. I vary the number of tag end passes through the loop from three (on fine tippets) to two on heavy lines like 25 lb. I have been using it since the early 90's for everything from #20 dries, - Salmon hooks. The slip knot effect allows for streamers to swim better and I just plain have faith in the knot.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Indeed we can Ard, indeed we can. What has been your findings (experience) with one hook eye style over another. Given a choice, I have the greatest 'confidence' in a ring eye style hook as the 'pull' is straight ahead.

All be it years back I can remember experimenting with up/down eye hooks stuck into a bit of wood, with an attached bit of leader, just to see what happened next.

I didn't like what I saw ... even worse if the bend of the hook was around a bit of line so it could really (for a lack of better term) 'swivel.' Exaggerated what was happening in a fishes mouth? Since, I've always suspected that most of the fish 'I've hooked' may really have hooked themselves.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For streamers I came to use the ball or ring eye because of the perfect swiveling action the flies have when attached with the knot I use. For dry flies I started using Tiemco hooks # 100 I think and I have not went to see what the eye configuration is on those. Salmon hooks are the break from the norm eye wise. I tie on up eye and ring eye depending on the style of fly. I attribute the fish that come lose from the hook to my hurrying them to shore more so than the choice of hook.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the UK link Fred.

I have always preferred the ring eyed hook for all applications. I always thought the up eye or down eye should be tied to the shank of the hook instead of the eye. I have never done any testing or have never read anything about what is best. It just seemed logical to me. The problem is with a fly you don't have access to the shank for a knot. With very small wet flies the down eye may reduce the gap but I am not sure of that either.

With a stinger hook an up or down eye with the line tied to the shank may be a good choice. A snelled tie to the shank would be my choice instead of tying to the ring eye of a stinger. In most cases I would use an up eye hook for a stinger with the tie on the shank.

This is an interesting thread. Thanks again Fred.

Frank

fredaevans

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the UK link Fred.

I have always preferred the ring eyed hook for all applications. I always thought the up eye or down eye should be tied to the shank of the hook instead of the eye. I have never done any testing or have never read anything about what is best. It just seemed logical to me. The problem is with a fly you don't have access to the shank for a knot. With very small wet flies the down eye may reduce the gap but I am not sure of that either.

With a stinger hook an up or down eye with the line tied to the shank may be a good choice. A snelled tie to the shank would be my choice instead of tying to the ring eye of a stinger. In most cases I would use an up eye hook for a stinger with the tie on the shank.

This is an interesting thread. Thanks again Fred.

Frank
Great points all Frank, especially the 'highlighted' one above. In the occasion I tie something up with a 'stinger' I'll usually do a loop coming off the 'real fly' and tuck the end of the loop through the eye of the trailer. Effect is a ring eye straight pull and (the odd time) you want to replace same pretty easy to do.

But back to the link, my point was to get 'thoughts juiced' on the subject.

Fred

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I use a lot of Clousers and have used both straight eye and down turned eye hooks. In the case of flies like Clousers the down turned eye is far better than a straight eyed hook. It helps keep the fly riding upright. It will ride upright with less weight making the fall slower. I fish a spot pretty often that is really rocky and has a lot of old junk tossed in the river from the 1910 fire that burned the town down. Even though Clousers ride hook point up, I still hung up fairly often, so I came up with the idea of using Eagle Claw Gold Aberdeen hooks for them. They are a straight eye hook, but I put them in my vice and bend the eye down. These are a softer less brittle wire so I can do it with these. Some hooks it just snaps the eye off. The reason I like these is that if I snag the bottom I can straighten the hook out enough to pull free and not loose the fly.

Last edited:

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Guess I'm just old fashioned, but I like a turle knot and either a down eye or up eye hook for most of my flies. Easy to tie and the line comes out perfectly straight. Yeah, the break strength is only 80% but hey, just use a slightly heavier leader.
For dry parachutes, I MUST use an up eye and here is why: The parachute sits flat on the water and a down eye makes a small dimple in the surface film which is totally unnatural. I have been using a clinch knot for my dries and smaller flies, but after reading some threads on here I am going to try a Davy knot next summer. Higher breaking strength is important when using 6X tippets!

silver creek

Reaction score
I don't think that the direction of the eye has any effect on the hooking ability of the fly, ie, the so called "hooking or penetration angle". Take a look at pg. 178 of Designing Trout Flies by Gary A. Borger. The angle of a hook eye has no effect on the angle of pull on the hook.

It was once thought that down eyed hooks had a better "hooking angle" because the down eye was thought to create a downward pull on the hook, and that this downward pull would "bury" the hook. Apparently this belief still continues and it is untrue. Mustad has an example of a hook penetrating a foam block that presumes to show the importance of the angle of the eye but this is wrong for reasons discussed below.

The first point is that the angle of pull is actually determined by the position of the hook in relationship to the tip of the rod and not the angle of the hook eye. Also the strike occurs when the fishes mouth is closed on the fly which places the hook in direct contact with the mouth of the fish.

Secondly, once the point of the hook enters the flesh of the fish, all angles of pull will bury the hook because the bend of the hook causes the point hook to rotate down into the fish, which then buries the hook until it the bend of the hook causes the hook point to rotate out of the flesh.

I also once believed that penetration angle was important, but as I read more, I've changed my view. Therefore, I have some disagreement with what Mustad has written about how important the eye position is in hooking. I think any effect is very very minor. The reason is that hooking angle does not stay constant as the hook on foam block illustration would suggest. A foam block is not flesh. Flesh is dynamic and deforms in response to penetration. A foam block does not.

Once the hook point penetrates flesh, the hook pulls on the flesh deforming it and simultaneously the hook rotates in line with the angle of pull of the line. The eye of the hook no longer rests nicely at a 90 degree angle to the flesh as it does on the foam block.

The angle of pull on the shank and the hook point are pretty much equal when the hook eye does not rest on the block. I believe that this angle of pull drives the hook point further into the flesh at pretty much the same angle which is determined by the angle of pull on the eye rather than the angle of the eye of the hook.

So the slight offset of the up or down eye from the straight eye really makes no difference on hookability. What does make a difference is the sharpness of the hook point and whether the hook gap is limited and the whether the hook point is offset.

If the hook point is sharp, I don't think eye position matters much. The hook point will enter the flesh regardless of the difference in hook eye position. Hooking gap and offset have a greater effect in my view because they affect the probability that any fish flesh comes to lie against the hook point.

I think hook eye postion is more about the aesthetics of the fly and the ease of tying the fly than any effectiveness in hooking.

For the same reasons, the type of knot makes no difference on how the well the hook will impale the fish. It does make a difference on manipulation of the fly such as the making a surface fly skate but as to hooking fish, all knots are equal. Once the point enters the flesh, all knots will rotate the hook into the fish.

Some fishers also think that a down eye hook somehow "narrows" the hooking gap and negatively affects the hooking ability of the pattern. That is not true either. The gap is the distance between the hook shank and the point and is not determined by the direction of the eye. What narrows the hooking gap is the material that is tied onto the hook at the location of the gap.

So the direction of the eye is not a significant factor in hookability of the pattern.

For the best hooking ability in midge patterns, a 2X short hook with a relatively wide gap for hook length and an offset point (gap) will improving hooking compared to a standard hook with no offset.

gt05254

Reaction score
I like turned up, return eye hooks for my salmon flies, and turned down eye, return eye hooks for my streamers. Why? Because I like the way they look, and I like tying on return eye hooks better than on ring eye hooks. I'm a victim of tradition and my own taste, lol. Trout flies I don't much care.

Oh, and turle knot on the up eyes, clinch on the down. Same victimology as above.
Gary

silver creek

Reaction score
I like turned up, return eye hooks for my salmon flies, and turned down eye, return eye hooks for my streamers. Why? Because I like the way they look, and I like tying on return eye hooks better than on ring eye hooks. I'm a victim of tradition and my own taste, lol. Trout flies I don't much care.

Oh, and turle knot on the up eyes, clinch on the down. Same victimology as above.
Gary

That is a most reasonable approach.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this thread is alive again I'll keep with the resuscitation.

I like Ring or Ball eye on wets and streamer hooks and whatever is on a salmon hook including the fish. Whether trout or salmon fishing the knots never change, Orvis style slip knot with 2 passes for heavy line & 3 for light ones (line). All loop to loop splices are simple perfection loops and they are the weak link comparatively speaking. The loop will always break before the knot to the fly. The loop will also break before my leader to line, or more importantly my line to backing connection. This is very important, every thing going forward on the line / connections must be weaker than the line to backing connection :)

seajay

Reaction score
As far as the type of eye the typical hook has a ring eye that is either turned up,down or straight.As far as the knot used a loop would work better on a sub surface as to allow more action. I would think on a dry fly a cinched down knot would work fine. As far as an up,down or straight eye would depend on the fly itself. As stated a Clouser a down turn eye may give a more jig type action and less bottom snags.
With using small tippets I would inspect the ring eye to insure that it has been turned in tight to the shank as to not allow the tippet to slip thru. I do not know if there are hooks for fly fishing that have a welded eye.
Now the knot to use is always a personal preference.