Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cray fish

Blog Entries

Default Re: cray fish

The patterns that I use have some sort of weighted eyes. I will use split shot or tungsten putty to help get them down in deeper slots.

Dennis

same here. I usually add a nice heavy set of dumbbell eyes to the front of the pattern so when it presents the tail is sticking up.
    Proof Fly Fishing High quality fly rod components.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I've only ever tied one crayfish pattern and they were pretty realistic. I found the recipe for this in the September 1981 issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine and had no rest till I had tied so many that I still have a few that were not lost on the bottom of some pool too deep to wade.

[IMG][/IMG]

I made them with dyed hair too and drifted them like giant nymphs. I never caught what I would say was a huge fish on one but I caught some nice size trout and a few small mouth bass also.
    Ard I really like this one! Very nice pattern. Did you wrap extra weight into the body or on the hook?
    Thanks for sharing that one.

That is sweet! Is that amber D rib?
    Proof Fly Fishing High quality fly rod components.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I've only ever tied one crayfish pattern and they were pretty realistic. I found the recipe for this in the September 1981 issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine and had no rest till I had tied so many that I still have a few that were not lost on the bottom of some pool too deep to wade.

[IMG][/IMG]

I made them with dyed hair too and drifted them like giant nymphs. I never caught what I would say was a huge fish on one but I caught some nice size trout and a few small mouth bass also.
    that is an awesome looking pattern!!!

6. Default Re: cray fish

That is a really nice crawdad Hardyreels. Will have tie a few of those up for trout and steelhead this year.

Pretty generic ties but trout seem to like them. The body is a laced/crocheted method with Larva Lace. Bottom one needs some work to make it prettier with the thread color but I wasn't worried about pretty and the fish didn't seem to care.

Blog Entries

Wow, since the thread is back to life I discover a bunch of questions that went unanswered

The abdomen wrap was (at the time) known as Swanandaze, I believe it has went extinct. The larva lace on the other patterns looks to be the same thing. The color can be altered by changing the wrap to rust red or gray and using a marking pen on the moose mane. You can make these out of dyed buck tail also and it sinks better.

As for weighting them, I did this with many and it did get them down but due to all the rocks and rubble on the creek & river bottoms many were lost because of the weight. If you decide to use lead wire under the body don't get carried away or they will get snagged often. They are too hard to tie for you to just go out and lose them. I found that unweighted and used with a lead head leader they worked well dead drifted and then allowed to swing.

To fine the tying instructions type the words 'Moose Mane Crayfish' into your search engine. The last time I looked the web link was still there with a history of the fly and the man who created this very realistic pattern.

Glad you fellas liked that

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes darwin liked this post

Those are some nice crawfish guys.

Here is what I have had sucess with . The claws are porcupine quills.

Blog Entries

Jeez,

Now those look real! I'll bet they do work well!

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

And Fred,

Welcome to the world of posting to our forum

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks Ard .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast