Czech Nymphing

crabacle

Reaction score
Ok

It's a specific method of fishing for trout and grayling using a team of weighted flies on a short line. - It's a killer method - in the right circumstances.

Rather than explain it in detail - have a look at Czech Nymphing - What it's all about

That should make it clear.

It works for small and large fish alike - my best trout is 6lb using this method (which is a monster in small UK rivers).

Tight Lines!

It wou

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Over here we would call it high stick nymphing. Especially good in smaller streams. When I high stick I use 2 flies and just fish the leader like they do in Czech Nymphing. My 9' 6" 5 weight works just fine for me.

troutbum20

Reaction score
i have been czech nymphing for about 3 years. i do it in big and small streams. it can real deadly. the key is to use a non tapered or slightly tapered leaders. so i use all 5lb test or start with 8 and go down to 4. you need the line to cut the water and you need to feel some strikes. i use some czech nymphs up to size 8. if you hit a pod of fish on the bottom you could hook or land most because you stick the flies right in thier face.

troutbum20

Reaction score
i am also starting this year to nymph with straight mono...no fly line .....suppposed to be really effective ......anybody else here of it/use it?

makubwa

Reaction score
I am still coming to grasps with the whole concept. Can it be used in large lakes etc?

crabacle

Reaction score
You can use it in Lakes - but its' really designed for rivers.

The key is a constant control and connection with the flies, - you can detect the smallest bite (my record so far is a 1 inch long parr), if the line stops, hesitates, just looks abnormal it's usually a fish. - I once fished 2 miles of river downstream doing step.. cast.. step and had at least one hook up each run through.

Remember that the flies fish at the bottom - or just off - and that you are always in control of them. - Tapered leaders aren't really necessary as you aren't too worried about a gentle landing and unfurling of the line - what you are bothered about though is the correct presentation of the flies, - and always make a strike at the end of the run through.

Also - use fluorocarbon for your leaders - as it's nearly invisible in water. Don't worry too must about going too fine as you may snag regularly - but don't use a washing line for a leader either.

Finally the flies are the killers - and you will be surprised how small you can go and hook up the bigger fish.

If anybody needs any more help - you know where I am!

Joni

Reaction score
Over here we would call it high stick nymphing. Especially good in smaller streams. When I high stick I use 2 flies and just fish the leader like they do in Czech Nymphing. My 9' 6" 5 weight works just fine for me.

Frank, it really isn't high sticking. If anything it is Short Lining.
It is not done on stillwater, it is done on fast moving deep pooled rivers with VERY heavy flies. They also use up to 5 droppers, but in this case, the bottom flie is the very heavily weighted fly (NO SPLIT SHOT) with the others dangling off the leader, like tree branches.
By heavy flies, I mean this flies are weighed in grains and you can feel how heavy they are. You will be amazed as to how big of flie will catch fish. Huge scuds, that you would never think would work. You are dragging the fly across.
Alot of people have gotten confused on the difference between high sticking and Czech Nymphing.

Plus a 10 foot rod is really nice for this.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Frank, it really isn't high sticking. If anything it is Short Lining.
It is not done on stillwater, it is done on fast moving deep pooled rivers with VERY heavy flies. Alot of people have gotten confused on the difference between high sticking and Czech Nymphing.

Plus a 10 foot rod is really nice for this.
Hi Jonie,

You are confusing me, what does still water have to do with my comments? OK so they can Czech Nymph and I will High Stick Nymph using the same type of flies and the same technique. They use a high rod position, I use a high rod position . They fish just the leader, I fish just the leader. We can call it what ever but to my mind they are basically the same technique.

Frank

Joni

Reaction score
Frank, the stillwater comment was to the post a couple up, not to you. When I hi-stick, I usually have an indicatoe or just keep the line up off the water like you said, but I just follow the fly down. With C Nymphing you lead the fly.
I don't use my 20 grain flies when hi-sticking, I just use a regular weighted fly.
When I Chzech Nymph, I use the 20 grain on the bottom, then here we are only allowed two flies, I tie another nymph of scub about three feet up. (as I said Deep Fast Pools) I then literally pull the flies down stream either bouncing the bottom or dragging. More Dabbing then free float.
As I said, most people call it the same thing, but it really is different.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
We are basically talking about nymphing in any case. I personally Hi-stick using dryflies as well. So, it's a matter terminology and technique. Whether it be from the Czech Republic or here in the states. The ideal of nymphing in general is fishing a fly or multi fly rig, submerged with weighted flies either with shot or the weight of the fly. Hi-stiching or Czeching are just terminology in my mind and nymphing is the technque.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

mojo

Reaction score
Click on some of the sites that were posted early on in the thread if you want to know about Czech nymphing or Google it. Czech nymphing, Spanish nymphing are used, like said earlier, with a long rod, soft tip, same length leader as the rod usually, HEAVY flies to get down FAST, and thrown upstream and drug down thru the run. You do not high stick like that. Apples and oranges in styles, but close enough results.

troutbum20

Reaction score
frank, sweetflies has a great new dvd that shows a couple of cabela reps who fished in europe ,tie some flies and descibe the method on the dvd.

madriverbrown

Reaction score
I'm with you. I've fished with a lot of people over the years and I've heard people call this very similar technique both Czech and High Sticking. Let's not make this an issue just remind our fellow anglers that some states limit the number of hooks per line so check your states regs. Thank You!

Joni

Reaction score
frank, sweetflies has a great new dvd that shows a couple of cabela reps who fished in europe ,tie some flies and descibe the method on the dvd.

So we can agree to dis agree. The two nymphers from Cabela's are Lance Egan and Ryan Barnes. They showed me the difference.

troutbum20

Reaction score
YES WITH CZECH NYMPHING YOUR ROD IS CLOSE TO THE WATER. AND YOU USE A LEVEL MONO LEADER.......... ANYBODY OUT THERE FISH NYMPHS WITH ALL LEVEL MONO. I AM TALKING MAYBE NO FLY LINE AT ALL. FISHING BY FEEL. ALMOST LIKE SALMON EGG FISHING WE USED TO DO HERE IN THE EAST. I GUESS THIS WAS DONE IN UTAH[?] BY THE OLD TIMERS. THE BOOK "SOME GUYS CATCH ALL THE FISH" TALKS A LOT ABOUT THIS. HE USES GOLDEN STREN. GETS THE FLY DOWN ESPECIALLY WHEN FISHING DROP OFFS OR DEEP HOLES. I AM GOING TO TRY IT THIS YEAR:army:

fyshstykr

Reaction score
YES WITH CZECH NYMPHING YOUR ROD IS CLOSE TO THE WATER. AND YOU USE A LEVEL MONO LEADER.......... ANYBODY OUT THERE FISH NYMPHS WITH ALL LEVEL MONO. I AM TALKING MAYBE NO FLY LINE AT ALL. FISHING BY FEEL. ALMOST LIKE SALMON EGG FISHING WE USED TO DO HERE IN THE EAST. I GUESS THIS WAS DONE IN UTAH[?] BY THE OLD TIMERS. THE BOOK "SOME GUYS CATCH ALL THE FISH" TALKS A LOT ABOUT THIS. HE USES GOLDEN STREN. GETS THE FLY DOWN ESPECIALLY WHEN FISHING DROP OFFS OR DEEP HOLES. I AM GOING TO TRY IT THIS YEAR:army:

Yes on the level mono with a spinning rod, have used the slinky set-up on the bottom and a couple flies on droppers, don't have near the drag issues and can cover alot more water in a much shorter amount of time.

So would you folks consider this a form of flyfishing? or spin fishing?

FlyGal

Reaction score
CN is not legal on my local waters....but High Sticking is....

Joni

Reaction score
CN is not legal on my local waters....but High Sticking is....

Why is it not legal. I understand maybe the fact the flies are very weighted, or the fact there are multiple hooks.
We can only use up to two hooks here, but you can still CN, thank gawd.