Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Have you made any of your tieing tools?

Have you made any of your tieing tools? If so, please share your ideas.

On the left is my bodkin cleaner. It is a film canister with a hole on top and steel wool inside. Jab it in there twice and it gets any glue or head cement right off.

The middle is my bodkin that is a little beat up but I still perfer it over my store bought one. It is the biggest sewing needle my wife had epoxed into the end of a wooden dowl. File one side of the handle flat so it don't roll off the bench and stick in your leg.

On the right is my dubbing twister. 1 paper clips, some beads from my daughter's craft kit, and a piece of dowl. Works as good as a store bought
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*

2. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

I made a fly drier once.... still use it today. I used a discarded electric motor from a popcorn popper, some wood, a cord from a broken iron. and some alligator clips. It dries epoxy flies really well. Most of the parts were free... I think I spent a couple dollars for the clips. I'll post a few pics later.

3. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

That sounds interesting. I take it you don't use 5 minute epoxy. Does you device put off heat to assist in the drying?
    Mitch

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*

4. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

Here are some pics of the drier that I made. I use 30 min epoxy... and I still have to work fast. It puts off no heat. It works great.

5. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

That's cool! You don't have to worry about flipping your flies over a couple of times before the epoxy sets. I nerver tie that many at once, then again I don't tie to many that need epoxy. I usually use 5 minute epoxy and mix a little on a piece of cardboard and put it the fly while it is still in the vice then move the fly to a piece of foam after it sets. I know, it takes longer. I like your dryer.
    Mitch

Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

Steve,

A good setup and a lot cheaper than a commercial one. I like yours better than the ones with a foam face. A Bar-B-Q motor works also.

7. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

http://users.adelphia.net/~mstatig/vise.jpg Sure it may look ugly but I can tie a fly with it. Poor mans Vise.

8. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

Quote Originally Posted by lryansl View Post
    http://users.adelphia.net/~mstatig/vise.jpg Sure it may look ugly but I can tie a fly with it. Poor mans Vise.
    I bet you can! Do you have midge jaws for that vice too? *LOL* Sorry! I couldn't resist.

Is that your primary vice?
    Mitch

9. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

Being how cheap I am I just cant bring myself yet to spend the money on a kit, but eventually I will. Yup its my primary, the smallest hook ive had in it is a size 12 I think anything smaller then that would just be impossible to tie.

10. Default Re: Have you made any of your tieing tools?

That fly so far has landed me 3 nice size carp on my 5 wt and Im loving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast