What would one call this ugly thing...

gatortransplant

Reaction score
So I tied up a fly reminiscent of a highlighter last night, basically just tying mats on as I went, with a basic general intent. It looks like this in the vise:

While after a steelhead munching on it, it looks like this:

To me, it's like a bugger variant with a wing and a BSed soft hackle, but I was wondering if there is a name for a fly that looks like this. I can't complain though, it caught a fish, and my first steelhead on a fly rod for that matter!

Thanks guys!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The way I see it is that you can name the fly whatever you want until you find something published.

I like your reasoning behind the name. Ellicott Special is very suitable.

Dennis

darwin

Reaction score
It reminds me of a straggle cat's whisker (variant), but not exactly. Nice fly and I am sure it will do you well. ;) Is that deer on the wing?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
The fish weren't really having the streamers today, plus I was targeting browns instead, we went to a different spot. The ES will get another run on Sunday, I hope! I have to tie some more, sent a half-dozen off to Eunan for some actual product testing!

vitesse304

Reaction score
looks similar to a slumpbuster.

Nice variation on materials!

I tie mine up a couple wraps of lead to keep it from falling head down in the water. It gives it a more horizontal appearance in the water on the pause as it sinks.

Awesome that you're catching fish with it!

gatortransplant

Reaction score
The E.S. as I tied it does have a good amount of lead wraps on the body, so yeah, it does have a nice horizontal action in the water, and you're the second to say it looks like a slumpbuster, I'll have to check it out! I still need to tie more of these, but I'm really hoping Eunan kills it with these this weekend :D