Classic Wet Flies

Reaction score
Decided to start a thread for these flies I'm tying. If anyone else is doing winged or classic wet flies, please feel free to add to it.

I'll start with two i tied last night, Allerton and Golden Pheasant.
Bit different from the previous flies I've tied in that the Allerton has a palmered hackle and the Golden Pheasant has a tippet wing.

I got a bit adventurous in tying these, but i think they came out well. Still a few things to iron out, tips and ribs, but generally i'm happy with these flies as they are for fishing.

Allerton

Golden Pheasant

mikel

Reaction score
wow...I watch these threads and am always impressed. First thought was "those are just too pretty to fish". Nice work!

-m

Reaction score
Maybe my buddies, Holberton and Watson's Fancy will tide you guys over til i get the RLD sorted.

I only realised when i took the picture, that i missed half a wrap on body at the tail of the Holberton. Damn, I'm getting old - the eyes are starting to fail me, even without a beer to help!

P.S sorry about the pics, i really need to get a good camera. This cell phone ain't cutting it anymore

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's some wet flies heading to Maine in the morning for a guy on another forum who asked me to tie some up for him.
Larger hooks are size 8, smaller are size 10
4 Olive trout fin, 2 Golden Pheasant,2 Babcock (yellow and black wing) and 2 Parmachene Belle (white and red wing)

Reaction score
Few from tonight, two Jock Scott wet flies on size 8 hooks, and a Dolly Varden on a size 6.
The Jock Scotts are part of the set above, I had forgotten they were on the list to be tied until i checked the order this morning before i shipped it.
The Dolly Varden was just for fun and finished up a treat.
JS1

JS2

Dolly Varden - This is my best fly yet. Everything came together. Tip, smoothish body, 5 ribs, nice hackle, great wing setting and a small compact head!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Was tying fly orders again tonight (4 dozen laser eggs) but after they were done I got a bit selfish and tied an Irish Grouse wet fly from Bergmans book Trout.

Here she is.

Last edited:

madjoni

Reaction score
Was tying fly orders again tonight (4 dozen laser eggs) but after they were done I got a bit selfish and tied an Irish Grouse wet fly from Bergmans book Trout.

Here she is.
I truly understand you because I do same thing all the time :D
Tell me please,why is this called Irish Grouse?I dont see grouse on it?

Reaction score
Easy to tie. Do you have the book?
Here's the materials list i used

Hook: Size 6, though i guess any size smaller will work too
Tip and Rib: Gold mylar tinsel
Body: Orange floss
Hackle: Brown
Wing: Peacock Herl

madjoni

Reaction score
Thanks for recipe :cool:
No,I dont have that or any other book about fly tying,one more bad thing of growing up here :(