walleye fly fishing.

oaktree

Reaction score
Hey guys! I will be doing some walleye fishing this spring when when spawning. This is the first time fly fishing for walleye and need info on what flies are best. Also what kind of line?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Well you came to the right place on this one. I'd check your local regulations or where you plan to fish though. Most places will not allow you to fish during the spawn. I'm not a big fan of going after fish during the spawn in the first place. It's also probably not the best time to try and do it either. Spawning fish tend to focus on the spawn and not so much eating. Some fish that nest will bite, but it's often a 'protect the nest' reaction rather than eating. Prespawn you will have the biggest females around coming in, but you will still have very cold water to deal with.

First thing let me ask you a couple of questions. Where do you plan to do this at? Is this a lake or river? Up here where I live we have a huge lake population that are river spawners. We also have some of the most liberal seasons around, and we are not allowed to fish during the spawn. In fact it's the only time we can't fish for them.

Just as a point of information, I do fly fish for Walleye a lot. I do pretty well at it also. I get them all Summer long. I get them in the Spring. I get them in the Fall. Every season has advantages and disadvantages, but you can still get Walleye fly fishing.

A bunch of flies that I have found that work on Walleye.

oaktree

Reaction score
Hey DD

In the state of Kansas walleye fishing during the spawning season is permitted. I believe all walleyes in Kansas, spawn along the dam. Non in the rivers that I am aware of.

Looks like you have some great looking flies. What size are they? And what are they?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey DD

In the state of Kansas walleye fishing during the spawning season is permitted.
I'd double check that one. Plus as I said, it's probably not the best time to target them. If you tried looking on the Internet about fly fishing for Walleye, most of the information on there is not only wrong but absolutely stupidly wrong. Normally I would have inserted a cuss word in there but this is a family forum. I kind of doubt that along the dam thing to. Unless you mean the shallow rocky areas off to the sides of it.Walleye prefer shallow gravel to spawn in. If you know where those are, then you can target them when they stage up for the prespawn. I would suggest that over the spawn. As I said, spawning fish tend to focus on the spawn rather than eating, so it's not the easiest time to fish for them plus I don't advocate basically molesting fish while they are busy insuring you have good fishing in the future. At the very least I'd suggest you not clobber any females.

The flies on the left are Clousers with the exception of the top one. Most of the time that's the best fly for Walleye. A lot of people will tell you that suspended Walleye don't bite, but that's nonsense. Every last Walleye I got last Fall was suspended. Thats what the rest of the flies are for. Walleyes that are on the top or suspended. And yes, you can also get Walleye on top. I'm not sure why you are so set on the spawn thing, but if it's because of the bad info on the internet, trust me it isn't the best time. If you let me know what lakes it is you plan to try this on, I'll look at them and see if I can't figure out a plan of attack for them that will give you good shot at getting them.

oaktree

Reaction score

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for posting all of that Oaktree. There are are not a lot of people that fish Walleye with a fly rod. Most of what you see on the internet is not very helpful. I'm glad you started this thread, so we can put some useful information out there for our members and see if we can make it a more mainstream thing. Hopefully it will help you as well. There are a couple of other members that do fish for them, both Canadians, Dark Cahill and Didjeridoo. Hopefully we can get them to add their wisdom and experience to this thread as well.

As I had said before, this is not a real common fly fishing target. Before I really got good at it, I googled it and got a large pile of steaming..... wrongness. Things like "you can only get them shallow in the Spring, then you have to tie a bottom bouncer into your leader and troll for them." Bottom bouncers are large wire and lead things designed for regular 'hardware' guys. You are not fly fishing if you are trolling a leader with a 1 1/2 ounce bottom bouncer in it. I don't care if it's on a fly rod or not. Secondly, you can get them in shallow water from ice out to freeze up, and in fact in rivers, I have learned it's the bigger fish you get shallow. At least in rivers that's true. There is a different strategy somewhat for lakes. The idea that they go deep in Summer is a well established idea among Walleye anglers. However, here is a fine example of why that needs to be reconsidered, at the minimum. This is a Walleye I got in the very end of June a few years back. I got big fish like this all the way through July and would have kept getting them, but had another spot where I was fishing them and got just as big fish.

Notice a couple of things here. First, the bank is steep all the way down the river and very brushy. Second, I'm not wearing waders. By the way, there was a wild rose bush there I pulled my fly out of a lot. This is why I started spey casting for them. The river does get pretty deep pretty fast, but you are not going to be doing any 80' casts from a spot like this without getting well into the water, which by the way might get you an extra 12 or 15 feet here. I've decided that after catching a lot of big Walleye like this all through Summer, none of which were ever more than 12 feet deep or so, big Walleyes in the river like the shallow water. I think it's because the current is less closer to shore and big fish like to fight the current less.

Not all shallow water is created equal. There are certain features that will attract bigger fish. These places will almost never have a smaller 'eater' fish, so if that's what you are after, you will need a different strategy. Man has been nice enough to create a few of those features for us. Bridges are a good example. They put a bunch of rock down to stop erosion which attracts food for Walleye. Older railroad bridges have a ton of snaggy metal on the bottom. This does provide more structure, but it is seriously snaggy. I have learned a few tricks to minimize fly loss here also. It attracts Crayfish, minnows, etc. They also provide shade. Big Walleye will go much shallower on a bright sunny day if they have shade.

Interestingly, small Walleye do not seem to like the same spots. I get maybe one or two small Walleye a year. I have a couple of ideas on why that is, but I'm kind of guessing. I think smaller Walleye like us, when young don't mind swimming against more current, and I think big fish run the little ones off. Walleye are willing to go cannibal. I've seen this 'run off the little guys' thing with other species.

Another good place to look for big Walleye is where another river comes in. Especially if it has rapids or falls where it meets. This is going to sound really wrong, but the big Walleye will hang right in the very fast water where it meets the bottom of the rapids or falls. There are spots in those that if it has been left alone, will have a big fish in it almost everytime. Notice tha fast water behind me in this photo. This Walleye is typical of what I get out of these kind of spots. This fish came from behind a big rock right at the bottom of very fast rapids.

Spots like tis are good for a couple of fish then generally it's over. If you can get more than three you are having a banner day. Once you get the two or three fish up in the end of the fast water, it does pay to cast around the slack pools and the current seams. Most of the time it isn't Walleye you get, but Pike and Smallies, but they are fun to. In fact I have pulled some monster pike from those seams in spots like this. Occasionally you do however get a big Walleye out in the Pike/Smallie zone. I've even had days where I got more than one out there. Keep in mnd, These are not Spring or Spawning type things, but dead on Summer. Note the lack of warm clothing.

There's a lot more, but I'll save it for another post or three.

rockriver

Reaction score
I might have accidently clicked unlike on this Dan. If so, please accept my apologies in advance. I learned on lot on this subject and will be trying it out this year since we also have walleye. Everyone I know insist you can only get them by jigging with spinning gear.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I might have accidently clicked unlike on this Dan. If so, please accept my apologies in advance. I learned on lot on this subject and will be trying it out this year since we also have walleye. Everyone I know insist you can only get them by jigging with spinning gear.
No problem. No apology needed.

I hear stuff like that spinning/jigging thing all the time. Better yet, even our chamber of commerce says you can't get them at night here, and yet we do it. Are you going to be fishing for them in a river or lake? If it's a lake there are some very effective ways to get them in a lake as well. You need a boat for some of it though. For example, in late Summer, you can get Walleye in shallow bays next to weed edges feeding on leeches. A leech pattern works great. The thing with targeting Walleye in a lake rather in a river, is you get more fish but you don't get the size. I you have ever drifted spinner rigs with bait, you understand the basic boat strategy but switch the bait rig for a clouser or leech pattern with a long leader or a sink tip line. Most of the time when this effective it's early in the season and the Walleye are shallow. These is a lot to catching Walleye all of the time and everywhere, but if you fished them before with bait you already know a lot of what you need to. Just adapt it to fly fishing.

theboz

Reaction score
As always Dan great info . Adapting to what the hardware guys do has worked for me also . Recently I've been fishing a small lake where the only real structure or inlet is the dam . All of my walleyes come from in an around that dam but there seems to be a small feeding period. The last hour before dusk no matter what season they turn on and then for about a half hour after dark. Very rarely do I catch any at other times. Anything with white or pearl flashabou seems to do the trick. I'm guessing that they move in at dusk to chase the bluegills against the walls of the dam then move out. And they seem to be all bigger fish as compared to whAt I've seen picked from the rest of the lake.

rockriver

Reaction score
Dan, I really haven't fished walleye much at all. I used to fish pike a lot with spinners and bass. It seems like I have a bunch to learn on this one. A lot of friends are walleye fisherman, so I want to add that to my list of fish to go after. I don't have a boat, but I do have canoes that I've used for fishing and love it.

rockriver

Reaction score
What weight do you recommend for walleye useing a single handed rod? What type of line, floating, sink tip, or what? I appriciate any info you can give.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What weight do you recommend for walleye useing a single handed rod? What type of line, floating, sink tip, or what? I appriciate any info you can give.
Sorry I missed your post for a few days. A six weight is fine in most cases. You are aware I'm sure, you can cast heavier flies better on a heavier rod, plus you can cast farther. There are situations where a 10wt. would not be out of line. I tend not to look at rods as a 'this fish = this weight rod' idea. I look at it as I need to deliver a specific fly a certain distance and that's how I decide what to use. The waters, the prevailing location of the fish at the time, all play a role in what rod you should use. So when I say a six weight rod will be fine in most cases, that's probably a fair statement, but don't go out a buy a six weight based on that. If you were going to go out and buy just one rod to fish Walleye, an eight weight might be better for the days where you need the bigger flies and longer casts. Let me ask you a quick question or three. What rods do you have now? Where are you planning to fish? Do you tie flies?

As for the line, again this is a thing that changes. Most of the time when I used a single hand rod for them I used an intermediate line. Now that I'm using a Spey Rod, I use a floating line virtually all the time. I have however, when I needed to get deeper, gone to a longer leader. Early this last summer I was casting a 20' leader. Before you freak out on that one, I never use less than a 15' leader anyway, so it's not that much of an adjustment. You would have a lot of trouble casting a leader that long on a single hand rod but the longer leader thing may still help you one of these days.

I want to toss a couple things into this real quick. I do fish with regular gear, on what may be one of the best Walleye lakes on Earth. I am good at it, but since I started going after them with fly rods, I have changed my mind about alot of what Walleye do. Especially big Walleye. My Canadian friend that I fish with and I have in three years only managed to get about a half dozen Walleye under the 19 1/2" slot we have here. When I say about, it's because Bill got one that was right about the 19 1/2" and we let it go without slapping a tape on it. Between the two of us this Fall never got a Walleye smaller than 24 1/2". I seriously don't think there is a better way to get big Walleye than fly fishing. Bill by the way, fishes with a single hand rod. You don't need to flinging flies into the next county with a 15' Spey Rod most of the time. I do think you have an advantage with a Spey Rod though. Late this last Fall was one of those times where it was an advantage. Bill is a world class distance caster, but you can cast farther with a big Spey Rod. Most of the fish were way way out. Someday I will make him start using a Spey Rod. By the way, I'm building a 17' 11wt. Spey Rod, and I wish I had it last Fall. I would have caught more fish, but keep in mind this is big water here. Your mileage may vary. :D

By the way it would help me a lot if I could google Earth the waters you plan to fish. That would give me some basis for advice.

rockriver

Reaction score
I have a 4, 6, and 8 weight, 9 ft. Z-Axis and a Fenwick 7 ft. 5 wt, so I'm set there. As for lakes, there are just too many to fish them all seriously. I'm looking at a 4 county area with hundreds of known walleye lakes. I'll get it down to a handful and send you the info by p.m. Thanks for the help.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll get it down to a handful and send you the info by p.m. Thanks for the help.
That would be great and you are welcome. When you send the PM include your phone number and time that would be good to call. I'll shoot mine back. I'd like to see you get into Walleye. It's fun, it's not a common target species with a fly rod, and it's fun. I know I mentioned fun twice, because it's fun.

gfig19

Reaction score
Hello Diver Dan,

I'm a fly fisherman from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I keep hearing our local rivers have walleye. But most of the fishermen use a traditional rod with bait and so on....my question is....do you have any tips for southeastern PA. I mostly fish for trout pretty much all year long and do well enough. I also catch small mouth bass and among other types of warm water fish. But this walleye has really caught my attention and I'd like to try and get me one via fly fishing. I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter, Good day to your sir.

gfig

theboz

Reaction score
Dan will be able to give you alot of good info on fly fishing for walleye.I can give you a little Pa info. I fish the Susquehanna and Delaware rivers as well as Lake Wallenpaupak . I've found that the same shoreline spots that I consistently catch SMs during the day are the best spots at dusk and nighttime for Walleye. Clousers and crayfish patterns are my go to flies but occasionally during evening mayfly hatches I get them on drys. Sometimes during the summer the Walleyes hit within a few feet of shore in the rivers.
Hope this helps and like I said I'm sure Dan can fill in any other info you need.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello Diver Dan,

I'm a fly fisherman from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I keep hearing our local rivers have walleye. But most of the fishermen use a traditional rod with bait and so on....my question is....do you have any tips for southeastern PA. I mostly fish for trout pretty much all year long and do well enough. I also catch small mouth bass and among other types of warm water fish. But this walleye has really caught my attention and I'd like to try and get me one via fly fishing. I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter, Good day to your sir.

gfig
Howdy and welcome to the forum. I have never fished SE PA. but Walleye are Walleye where ever they are. I have found that for Walleye you can't beat the Clouser Minnow. On rare occasions you do get Walleye feeding on top and I have flies for that also. My Canadian fishing buddy and I spent a lot of time last Fall working on top water flies for Walleye and we came up with a few that work pretty well. In the Summer, especially late, like August, in many places Walleye will come shallow into weed edges. I suspect they are looking for leeches, and even if they are not, they will hit a leech pattern pretty well. With the Clousers, it pays to have a lot of color patterns. They do not have to look like native baitfish either. Walleyes are a fish that like odd bright patterns sometimes. Look at the colors they have on Reef Runner lures. I have some tactics for them that work pretty well. If you let me know what kind of area you plan to be fishing I can help tune you into a strategy that will hopefully put you on some Walleye.

As a side note, we have a few years under our belts on the Walleye on a fly thing, and have come to the conclusion, if you want to get big Walleyes, flies work better than any way I have ever tried. The average size we get up here fly fishing, if I told you, you would think I was telling a tall fish story.

P.S. I'm PMing you my phone number. Call me. I stay up pretty late.

gfig19

Reaction score
thank you gentlemen for your response. I didn't realize how quickly the replies would come, this is a great forum. I think I'll have re evaluate my fishing equipment....I'm not sure if I'm equipped to handle a fly like a clouser minnow for my rod size and proportions. I'm currently fishing with a LL Bean Quest II 8'6' 5weight. I'm thinking the walleye around here does not fit that rod size. Well anyhow, I'm willing to purchase a rod able to do the job.

The rivers and reservoirs in my area that have walleye population are as follows.....The Conestoga River and its smaller brother, the Little Conestoga, Pequea River/Creek, Octoraro Reservoir, Speedwellforge Lake(currently emptied), and our big boy the Susquehanna River([ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susquehanna_River"]Susquehanna River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]) which is basically the western border of Lancaster County, where I reside.

here is the website....PA Fishing Near You

whitedice

Reaction score
got a lot of good information here. When I have some more time I will look through it all. I just got back from Nebraska and while I was up there I went walleye fishing with my uncle. I had never been before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus it tasted way better than the catfish I normally eat. :) I might look into trying to catch one with a fly rod. I noticed you mentioned you fished in kansas? If you wouldnt mind sending me a pm if there is a major reservoir or state lake that you find works well for walleye. I also live in Kansas and I wasnt even aware that there were walleye in kansas just because I had never heard of anyone catching them. Thanks, just reading this thread makes me want to go try it :thmbup: