What are your favorite foam flies?

Stevew

Reaction score
I do alot of panfishing and recently have used several foam flies with great success.My favorite so far is a foam ant i make with 1/4" black foam tied over brown chennile.It has red rubber legs tied in the center in an X pattern with a brown hackle feather tied in the center of the x.All tied on a #8 hook.Works great in the local ponds.Usually slow drifted.
What are your favorite proven foam flies?A recipie with hook size and colors would be very helpful.Fishing patterns would also help.Photos would be great.Thanks.

SteveW

BigCliff

Reaction score
I like Chernobyl Ants, and foam poppers. I forget who they're made by, but they're made from the same foam as cheap flip-flops, have the hole for the hook shank, and a cupped face. They're tough, and they decorate pretty well with a sharpie.

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
My favorite is a pupae: take semiclear whitish packing foam. The sheet stuff used to pad picture frames and such from China. The paper thin stuff. Cut a small strip ..wrap around hook to form tapered body...and finish with dubbing to form thorax and use thread to form mandible area on head. Always black thread. Brookies love em.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Short legged golden stone tied chernobyl style, and a black closed cell foam beetle with a peacock herl underbody.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
My favorite is a pupae: take semiclear whitish packing foam. The sheet stuff used to pad picture frames and such from China. The paper thin stuff. Cut a small strip ..wrap around hook to form tapered body...and finish with dubbing to form thorax and use thread to form mandible area on head. Always black thread. Brookies love em.

aroostookbasser, your mentioning of the packing foam reminded me of a fly that Gary LaFontaine was very big on, it was called the "Airhead", are you familiar with it?