Cheap Flies???

angelo1987

Reaction score
I figure not to tie flies after all :( but thank's everyone for explaining everything down to a T. Where can I get some good decent cheap flies? I have order some flies $70 worth ($4.00 for a half dozen) from Percy's flies and they held up pretty good (Besides my #18 Gnat's came apart after 10 cast's). But Percy's flies don't have what I want more Bluegill flies and a bigger selection on warmwater flies. Any1 know good website's that's worth checking out for discounted flies? How's The Angler's Dream Flyshop???? :confused: Thanks!

webrx

Reaction score
As mentioned in a similar thread a few days ago, I have had good luck with flies from the troutspot.com

d

williamhj

Reaction score
If you're looking for bass and panfish flies, I'd think you could find some cheap ones. I bought a popper selection at Dunhams a couple years ago. It was dirt cheap, like 6 poppers for 3 bucks, and looked dirt cheap, but caught a lot of panfish and bass. They didn't care if the fly was a bit shoddy. I also found I cared less about casting the cheap popper tight against the log jam or overhanging branches than I would have if I'd paid up for one. Now I tie them and the cork I use is really cheap so I make them how I want and don't spend much, just add feathers, rubber legs, eyes, and some sharpe for color.

I've bought from Anglers Dream in the past. Didn't have any particular issues, but if I remember right, hackled dries didn't seem to float as long as some I got from local shops. Personally I'm willing to pay for good hackle or good hackled dries since a dry fly turned submarine drives me nuts. For foam and hair flies, nymphs, and streamers, especially for bass and panfish, I'd buy from them again.

One tip, if you're worried about flies coming unraveled, when they arrive just sit down with a tooth pick and some head cement or superglue and put a dot on the head of each fly. It'll take some time but if you aren't spending much on the flies, the time might be worth it.

fish_4_all

Reaction score
Really depends on what type and what you consider cheap. Have seen them as low as 20/$4 for CHEAP flies and up to $3 each for good quality ones that will last a while and float well.

For me, tying has saved me a lot of money and I know I have exactly what I want. Not cheap enough to sell them for pennies but better than buying them for $0.50 each or more.

Flyshack
anglers dream

both I have heard of for having okay flies.

Eds I have been recommended to by more people than any other.

webrx

Reaction score
Interesting enought, I just saw a new retailer post this morning and it looks the Troutspot.com is now a vendor for this forum.

d

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I figure not to tie flies after all
Angelo,

I looked at your other thread when you asked about flytying. It's quite doable--and a lot of fun--, even on a budget with a basic kit.

I am a Benedictine monk, live on a most limited budget, and by nature, I'm cheap. I tie my own flies on a basic kit, using materials mostly scrounged up with a minimum of cash--a yard sale, a flea market, or a thrift store normally yields at least an item or two. Case in point: I went to a flea market the other day, and found a guy with some old furs--a couple of minks, an arctic fox, one that looks to be beaver, and a couple of others and we haggled to $12. I'd have to tie a million flies to use it all.

Part of the fun in fly tying is figuring out creative ways to find materials.

My only serious limitation is in dry fly hooks and hackles and that is easy to overcome. for one, I don't trout fish much, and as a master fly tier once told me "Any fly will float with enough floatant." I've also found that having a specific color hackle on a pattern isn't as crucial as people make it sound. I'm forever substituting one color for another--e.g. a ginger for a brown, etc. because I didn't have the exact one available. The fish generally don't care.

If I really wanted, I could budget the cash for some hackles or even save my change. $50 bucks accumulates in a piggy bank quickly enough. Heck, split one with another fly tier.

Walter1023

Reaction score
My first 10 years of flyfishing I never tied. Now I only fish with my own ties....however.....I used alot of vendors before I took the plunge and there are alot of decent ones. My favorite was Blue Fly Cafe priced out at about .65 fly.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
I can't remember the last fly I purchased, but I've heard NOTHING but good reviews from my friends who have purchased from here.

Fly Fishing Flies, The Fly Stop, Discount Fly Fishing, Trout & Steelhead Flies, Cheap Flies, Quality Fishing Equipment
I browsed the net looking for good cheap flys, this company kept popping up in various forums all with high marks. I myself was wanting cheap yet decent quality. Took the plunge and ordered 62 various flys to refill the dry fly box and top off the others. Hopefully they are as good as they are talked up too be.

notenuftoys

Reaction score
I tie my own midges and nymphs, but for dry flies I've had good success with Tonto Creek Flies.

edsflyshop

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words and support of my shop. I should have a lot more flies coming in next week. I do my best to keep the prices down.

Thank You,
Ed
Ed's Fly Shop

romanl

Reaction score
those are all good sites with pretty much similar pricing.
im going to go ahead and place my order with one of them (closest to me in CA) so maybe there's a chance ill get it before my trip on Friday. :icon_roll

flyfisher117

Reaction score
I recieved my order from "the fly stop" in 3 days. Its $3 1-3 business day shipping and their prices are good. Fly quality is IMHO just as good as what I can pay $1.50+ for at Cabelas.

romanl

Reaction score
I recieved my order from "the fly stop" in 3 days. Its $3 1-3 business day shipping and their prices are good. Fly quality is IMHO just as good as what I can pay $1.50+ for at Cabelas.
good to hear, thanks
yea for $0.60 - $0.65 / fly , im sure they'll do just fine.
i just started Fly Fishing over a month ago and already get :( thinking about buying more flies, as the ones at the 2 shops i've gone to so far in Los Angeles, all fly's are 1-3$ :eek:

do you live in So.Cal?
"theflystop" is in San Diego and im in Los Angeles,
i got my order in little after 11AM and emailed them to say thanks in advance if they can manage to get it out today, as im sure it'll get up to LA by Friday afternoon, that's when im taking of to Mammoth for weekend of fishing

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Nope I am in south western Idaho. Not sure how fast the mail sorting facilities are in the bigger cities but I would think that you would have it by friday, or at least the day of friday.