Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carp Flys

Default Re: Carp Flys

I just talked to my brother a few minutes ago and he said that he took off today in a smaller river and saw quite a few carp in some areas that would be real easy to catch with flies. He managed to get a nice 1lb Largemouth. Might have to get out and try some carp flies

Blog Entries

Good luck WinXp, bring some larger egg-type flies as well, sometimes you'll get lucky and carp will be eating seeds or berries off the surface, and an egg fly which lands with a *plop* will usually interest these fish. I had 4 takes in under a half hour under using this approach before I left for Sweden. Otherwise, with sinking flies, try and drop the fly 2-3 feet in front of the fish or place it so the fly is in the fish's path, giving it slow, tiny twitches as the fish approaches. With a sunken fly, you want the fly to create a puff of silt on the bottom, kind of like you are working a tiny popper underwater. Carp will often key in on this puff of silt as it mimics the creatures they are bussy vacuuming up off the bottom. I've even done this with wooly buggers and watched a number of carp all rush the fly at the same time. Joni on the forum has been having luck with carp running a double rig with a sinking fly and a glo-bug egg-type fly dropped off the sinker. This will give you an option to run both methods I mentioned. Good luck, and be prepared to hear your drag sing, carp like to run!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Gator thanks a million for these tips!!! Ya I know they run because I have caught plenty on regular baitcasting and spinning reels and rods. Fly fishing is another story and glad that I can get info from here Can't wait for next weekend now hahahaha!

My father and brother are gonna have a trip mode going on when I get some hahaha

Thanks again!

Great looking flies! The rust colored, 2d photo, looks especially carpy.

Them flies should work for sure. I tie some that are very similar to that and they absolutely slay the carp. Some of my favorite flies for carp are crayfish imitations, woolly buggers, and back stabbers. I look forward to seeing some big nasty carp pictures in the near future!

6. Default Re: Carp Flys

Sweet looking flies! I would love to catch a carp on a fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12