Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Orvis flies....50 cents

  1. Default Orvis flies....50 cents

    check out the great deal on Orvis flies; go to the fly fishing section, then under Whats new then under super fly deals.

  2. Default Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by tippet View Post
    check out the great deal on Orvis flies; go to the fly fishing section, then under Whats new then under super fly deals.
    Not sure whether to think Orvis has great prices or ORvis has great profit and are fleecing the willing. I *COULD* believe that they somehow did something to get great pricing, and are passing it on to customers, OR

    that they were always paying under $.50 a fly (selling them for 4 times that much) and now they are discontinuing those flies so selling them at clearance price, just a small profit instead of a whooping profit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,019

    Default Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
    Not sure whether to think Orvis has great prices or ORvis has great profit and are fleecing the willing. I *COULD* believe that they somehow did something to get great pricing, and are passing it on to customers, OR

    that they were always paying under $.50 a fly (selling them for 4 times that much) and now they are discontinuing those flies so selling them at clearance price, just a small profit instead of a whooping profit.
    I doubt Orvis is making much if anything on a fly they sell for 50 cents. I realize it's popular in some circles to bash Orvis, but frankly I've found their gear to be pretty decent--- and their flies to be well tied. Certainly better quality than other 50 cent flies that unravel with just a hard stare.

    Oregon, I think Tippet's post could be very helpful to forum members that don't tie, or are just starting out and are looking for decent flies at a good price.
    Mark

  4. Default Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
    I doubt Orvis is making much if anything on a fly they sell for 50 cents. I realize it's popular in some circles to bash Orvis, but frankly I've found their gear to be pretty decent--- and their flies to be well tied. Certainly better quality than other 50 cent flies that unravel with just a hard stare.

    Oregon, I think Tippet's post could be very helpful to forum members that don't tie, or are just starting out and are looking for decent flies at a good price.
    Hi, do you know how much fly tiers from Africa sell their flies for? $2.50 a dozen. I do not disagree that Tippet's post could be very helpful.
    Also flydealflies.com at 43 cents a dry fly to just over 50 cents for a beadhead is another good source. flydealflies is not making a exhorbiant profit but they are making close to %100 markup.

  5. Default Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
    Not sure whether to think Orvis has great prices or ORvis has great profit and are fleecing the willing. I *COULD* believe that they somehow did something to get great pricing, and are passing it on to customers, OR

    that they were always paying under $.50 a fly (selling them for 4 times that much) and now they are discontinuing those flies so selling them at clearance price, just a small profit instead of a whooping profit.

    steel,
    ......either way between work and the kids I have zero time to tie flies so at 50 cents I'm buying a few. Thought others might like to know and pick up some flies at a decent price wasn't trying to start another orvis debate
    Thanks for the other link, I'll check them out. Have you bought from them? good flies?
    Last edited by tippet; 07-26-2010 at 07:18 PM.

  6. Default Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

    Orvis also has Silver Label Hy Float fly line for $11.40 ea. Sizes left are 1,2,3,4,7,8,9. Never used that line, but it's cheap enough to play around with. I have 5 or 6 Silver Label rods and of the two that I use (1 and 5 wt.) their action is like my Superfine I bought used from a friend.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Orvis flies....50 cents

    Thanks for posting this! I went and picked up a dozen as patterns to try and copy, and some that i just know i can't tie.

Similar Threads

  1. Common Cents Sytems, who is using it?
    By cidme in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 12:01 AM
  2. Common Cents system, who's using it?
    By cidme in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 12:05 AM
  3. Your 2 cents on a first timers outfit
    By FowlHabit in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •