Any Good Colorado Midge patterns?

mike63

Reaction score
As we head into fall and winter I'm hoping some of you may be able to provide some midge (or other) suggestions for the Front Range (Arkansas, South Platte, etc).

I've heard the Zebra Midge, Blood Midge, Pearl Jam, and even small RSIIs are good choices. Any other late fall or winter suggestions? Too bad the regular season is drawing to a close, I hope to try and get out some during the colder months and make the best of it.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I hope other folks chime in because I am in the same boat as you. TBBlom suggested in a different thread a winter warrior in black (you tube video is available). Other than that I have been going off this webpage and then mixing in a few variations

Flies for Fall and Winter and…. « PlanetTrout

I picked up the midge jaws for my peak vise yesterday so now I can start doing more 22's and 24's

planettrout

Reaction score
I tie a lot of Midge patterns for use in tail waters I fish here in CA. A lot of the patterns are based on stuff from CO tiers like Pat Dorsey, Steve Parrot, Jude Duran and a lot of other guys that fish the front range and San Juan...

Send me a PM if there is anything I may help you with...:)

Some more Midges...

PT/TB

nicknick222

Reaction score
Try this one out! Its a very simple pattern and its one been probably the most consistent patterns on my home waters, the tailwaters of the sierras, for the last 3 years. Its also worked well in idaho and montana.

I dont have any pictures because im not at home with all my tying gear but its not too difficult.

Take your favorite curved shank midge hook slide an extra small mercury bead onto the shank, lay down a light dun thread body and rib with 8/0 uni thread.
Coat the whole thing in UV knot sense. This thing is simple, realistic and bombproof.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Once again you guys are awesome,love the Poudre site as I plan to spend some weekends up there soon.

PlanetTrout I see you tie a lot of bead head midges do you find you tie them both ways as in

Beadless for fishing surface or just barely subsurface

Beaded for fishing deeper than 6" below subsurface all the way to the bottom ?

PS as a side note, best midge Ive tied and hammered fish on was a purple variation of Charlies Poison tung

tmc 2488 or Dai-Riki 135 size 18-22
Gold brass bead to fit
Purple Uni Thread
XSM Gold wire rib
Ice Dub UV Blue thorax

planettrout

Reaction score
"PlanetTrout I see you tie a lot of bead head midges do you find you tie them both ways as in

Beadless for fishing surface or just barely subsurface

Beaded for fishing deeper than 6" below subsurface all the way to the bottom ?"

comeonavs

This is the East Walker River, in Bridgeport, CA:

...in my experiences there, the Trout are rarely looking up...when I use Midges there, they are fished deep in the water column...whether they have no beads, glass beads, brass beads or tungsten beads - that includes both larva and pupa. On those rare occasions when the fish are taking Midges as emergers, I will fish them as trailers off a dry Caddis or May fly imitation about 8"-12" off the bend of the larger fly pattern...I will use dry Midges like the "V" Midge on the Lower Owens River when I see the sippers working...

Here a a couple that kill, down deep, on that river...

SIMPLY RED…(And, PURPLE)…

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12-B, #18
THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black
BEAD: 5/64 Black Nickel, (4 wraps 0.10 lead)…or Tung
ABDOMEN: Red Krystal Flash
RIB: Wapsi, Silver, xsm
THORAX: Spirit River Iridescent dyed peacock eye, Purple

CREAM MIRACLE MIDGE…

THREAD: For ABDOMEN, Tiemco 16/0, White…For HEAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black

HOOK: TMC 2487, Daiichi 1130, #18 – #22

RIB: Lagartun, x-fine, Copper

* Coat with SHAN or Loon UV Knotsense for durability…

MOO’S (TRUE) BLUE MIDGE…

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12-B, #18 – #20

SHUCK: Blue Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN: Blue Holographic Flashabou

RIB: Lagartun Silver wire, x-fine…*NOW coat with SHAN or Loon UV Knotsense…

THORAX: Spirit River Iridescent Peacock Herl, Purple…twist around thread and stroke to the rear…

BEAD: (HARELINE) Plummeting Tungsten Bead, Blue, sized to hook..

Moo is my son Michael...here is one Brown he caught on that pattern...

PT/TB :thumbup:

Reaction score
As of lately, I have become a big fan of the Blue Poision Tungs, Ju Ju midges as well. The way I see midges is if they are simple to tie they will most likely be killer.

comeonavs

Reaction score
As of lately, I have become a big fan of the Blue Poision Tungs, Ju Ju midges as well. The way I see midges is if they are simple to tie they will most likely be killer.
Me too, I neer fished a poison tung until I started tying and I tied that pattern because it looked easy enough to tie. It is now one of the first midges I reach for. I also tied in a purple body with gold rib and gold bead and have hammered fish on it here in the front range.

reels

Reaction score
I'm a bit partial to my own patterns that are born/tested here in Colorado and bring fish to the net year round: Midge Patterns | br fly fishing
If you click on a pattern it'll bring up more info about that pattern including field testing notes and suggested techniques.

If I didn't strictly fish my own patterns, I'd probably consider some of the patterns Forrest Dorsey ties on Tailwater Junkie: Midges Archives - Tailwater Junkie

They look like some decent trout munchies to me.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Disco Midge. Good pattern for stillwater trout too.
Second that. Catches trout all across the country. Red in an #18. #18 All Day Midge is another good one for still water. RS-2 previously is staple though not a midge pattern.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I'm a bit partial to my own patterns that are born/tested here in Colorado and bring fish to the net year round: Midge Patterns | br fly fishing
If you click on a pattern it'll bring up more info about that pattern including field testing notes and suggested techniques.

If I didn't strictly fish my own patterns, I'd probably consider some of the patterns Forrest Dorsey ties on Tailwater Junkie: Midges Archives - Tailwater Junkie

They look like some decent trout munchies to me.
beautiful flies and photos!!!!!!

FlyFisher23

Reaction score
Hi mike, i am in the colorado area too, and some of my favorite midges are the caddis pupa, copper john, flash back phesant tail, Hare's ear, poison tung, mercury midge, and WD-40