Dog dubbing ?

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I have a Pom ,,that when I brush him,there is this jet black dubbing that looks like it'd be the stuff for fly tying. Is there any reason one should not use it ? Scent,,maybe ? Anyone ever try dog dubbing ?

Just curious

Michael

williamhj

Reaction score
I'd dub it on a hook and put it in a glass of water to see how it looks. Some dog fur just disappears.

jsquires

Reaction score
You know, I've often wondered the same thing. My dog weighs over 200 pounds, so you can imagine the abundance of dog hair around my place.

I had a wonderful friend who was mostly a spin fisherman but who would give fly fishing a try now and then as long as he didn't have to spend money for flies. He made a fly out of synthetic rope material - called it the Crow Fly - and it used to anger me how well he would do with that "fly."

chased

Reaction score
I don't know why it wouldn't work...I met a guy who was catching fish after fish, I couldn't take it any more so I went and asked him what he was using. He said it was made with poodle hair.

Are you sure that 200lb dog isn't a small horse? I couldn't imagine cleaning up after that thing:wow:

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Let me know how it works out, we have a Pom that's tricolor, and her shedding would be perfect for about 1,000 hare's ears

jsquires

Reaction score
I don't know why it wouldn't work...I met a guy who was catching fish after fish, I couldn't take it any more so I went and asked him what he was using. He said it was made with poodle hair.

Are you sure that 200lb dog isn't a small horse? I couldn't imagine cleaning up after that thing:wow:
English Mastiff. He is the most gentle dog on the planet - and the biggest baby. Had him three years and I've never heard him growl, even at the coyotes. Turkeys walk by him three feet on the other side of the fence and he just nods to them.
But you are right, I get a lot of exercize bending down.

silver creek

Reaction score
Tess, my golden retriever on the right, had good fur for sulphur dry fly dubbing.

My current dog Kate has soft long black fur that I use for dubbing.

kicker19

Reaction score
I have a hound mix, fur is white and ginger. Attempted dubbing some of her fur the other day and it didn't even come close to working. The hair is too stiff and wouldn't twist. The alternative ? I used the hair as wings for my caddis flies. I haven't tested the flies on the river yet but they look like they may work

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Fly Guy, As Poms have real fur not hair, their undercoat should dub fine. My reluctance to use it though would be based on scent. Experiments with steelhead and salmon on fish ladders in the Columbia River evidenced that something crazy like 1 part per billion bear scent introduced at the fish trap on top had the fish turn around and flee! Dogs are not fish predators but are predators and it just makes me reluctant. Stick with rabbit.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I have a pom that has the most gorgeous black dubbing..but alas, I fear to use it for the same reason as S and S.
What's the saying 'a dog can smell 100 times better than a human and a fish can smell 100 times better than a dog.' (something like that)

I guess being an ol' trapper makes me paranoid but I even wash my hands in scent free soap and rinse many times before I tie flies. Always get my gas the day 'before' a trip so I can remove any scent..etc,etc,,I'm pretty obsessive about scent on things when I'm in the wild.

Mike

flyguy97

Reaction score
My German short hair pointer provides plenty of fine grayish dubbing. Only his head is brown so I don't get much of that. On flies fish seem to love it.

yonder

Reaction score
Fred, Yonder..do you guys have good success with the dog dubbing flies ? I'm curious. Maybe I been afraid for nothing.

Mike
The fish here in my neck of the woods are so opportunistic....that they seem to strike on instinct, survival, etc.......trust me.....if they will strike my ugly fly patterns....then they will strike anything......ymmv.........some of my favorite bluelines are definitely not anywhere near the technical streams of Montana or Colorado......I just find it amusing to tie flies from anything available....including my wife's blond locks of hair!! :)

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Yonder, I really am new to fly tying,,mostly. But what I tie catch fish...seems to really well. Now they wont impress you guys, but they do the job in the stream. So, who knows. I'm getting better. The advice to use as little material as possible as you can always add more,,made my flies stop looking like hair balls lol
But ya know,,I LOVE tying flies,,just a great thing to do instead of watching that damnable tv.

I can crank ol' Waylon up and I'll tie some stuff,,,what you call it I wouldn't be sure,,but it's STUFF !!