Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog dubbing ?

Default Dog dubbing ?

I have a Pom ,,that when I brush him,there is this jet black dubbing that looks like it'd be the stuff for fly tying. Is there any reason one should not use it ? Scent,,maybe ? Anyone ever try dog dubbing ?

Just curious

Michael

Default Re: Dog dubbing ?

I'd dub it on a hook and put it in a glass of water to see how it looks. Some dog fur just disappears.
    - William

You know, I've often wondered the same thing. My dog weighs over 200 pounds, so you can imagine the abundance of dog hair around my place.

I had a wonderful friend who was mostly a spin fisherman but who would give fly fishing a try now and then as long as he didn't have to spend money for flies. He made a fly out of synthetic rope material - called it the Crow Fly - and it used to anger me how well he would do with that "fly."

I don't know why it wouldn't work...I met a guy who was catching fish after fish, I couldn't take it any more so I went and asked him what he was using. He said it was made with poodle hair.

Are you sure that 200lb dog isn't a small horse? I couldn't imagine cleaning up after that thing

Let me know how it works out, we have a Pom that's tricolor, and her shedding would be perfect for about 1,000 hare's ears
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

Yep, we have two standard big poodles, one in brown and one in charcoal silver. Have used them both. Will tie some up and show little later.
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

I've experimented with it. Looks ok, but when it's wet it smells like, well, wet dog...

Quote Originally Posted by chased View Post
    I don't know why it wouldn't work...I met a guy who was catching fish after fish, I couldn't take it any more so I went and asked him what he was using. He said it was made with poodle hair.

Are you sure that 200lb dog isn't a small horse? I couldn't imagine cleaning up after that thing
    English Mastiff. He is the most gentle dog on the planet - and the biggest baby. Had him three years and I've never heard him growl, even at the coyotes. Turkeys walk by him three feet on the other side of the fence and he just nods to them.
    But you are right, I get a lot of exercize bending down.

Tess, my golden retriever on the right, had good fur for sulphur dry fly dubbing.

My current dog Kate has soft long black fur that I use for dubbing.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I have a hound mix, fur is white and ginger. Attempted dubbing some of her fur the other day and it didn't even come close to working. The hair is too stiff and wouldn't twist. The alternative ? I used the hair as wings for my caddis flies. I haven't tested the flies on the river yet but they look like they may work
    "The core of mans spirit comes from new experiences" - C.J. McCandless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast