First try at a crayfish

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I can still tweek the 'claws' and contour the tail 'joint area' some to make it more movable on the strip retrieve. I kinda needed to see it in a photo myself,,,shows me more really than just holding it in my own hand.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Looks like a pretty good first try. A couple of suggestions though. The eyes may make this ride upside down for what you have it tied. Actually with a crawfish riding point up works better because you can imitate a real one better. I tie mine to ride point up. I let it fall to the bottom, watch it closely as it does because they hit it on the way down sometimes. Then twitch it a few times and let it drop again, repeat.

Also you may want to lighten up on the claws a bit and if you do a couple wraps around the bases, you can get a pretty good spread and shape. I use Squirrel tail because it works good and they keep committing suicide in the roads I drive. :D

Also on the carapace, if you get a good shape you should make a pattern so you don't need to guess each time you make one. I use thin skin and it comes on a paper back so when you get a real good one keep the paper. Instant pattern.

Pretty good looking fly though. I'm sure it would catch fish. :thumbup:

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I feel kinda embarrassed that I didnt consider that the eyes could roll this guy over. I did try it in a bowl of tap water,,and it 'seems' to be about equal,,on how it lands...but I sure will keep that in mind on the next go around. I used fox squirrel tail hair 'claws' on this,,but i did it pretty thick,,and while I 'can' lighten up the claws out front,,I can't the base of the hair. So,,I see what you are saying about going lighter on the thickness,,it would indeed make it easier to cinch in. That was a major 'head scratcher' for me when I tied it,,and to make it work,,,the face of the 'craw daddy' came out a big long as I had a lot of bulk in front of the eyes. So,thanks,,I'll sure head your route next time.

I wanted to do a couple bigger ones,,this is a size 4,,,I can throw them at bass on the river,,and even if they arent perfect,,a big hungry bass has no discrimination about food ! Then,,when I get a method down good,,,I'll do me some that are small,,,trout size..for the streams here were I have both smallies and trout. Excellent idea about keeping a pattern ! You bet I'll do that.

I appreciate your thoughts on this Dan.

Mike

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I say this all the time, but I'm not sure that I've swayed too many opinions...

Big claws may look cool to us, but from the fishes point of view, they'd rather deal with small
Big pinchers hurt.... experienced fish know that.

thorsten

Reaction score
Wow, for a first trial it looks already extremely good - CONGRATULATIONS :clap::clap:

jaybo41

Reaction score
For a first attempt, I think you did an exceptional job! Very well done. If it makes you feel any better, I did exactly what you did the first time I tried one. I put the eyes and carapace on the same side, which as Dan says puts that on the bottom. That's an easy change to make, and now you know what you need to do to correct it.

I'm also of the opinion that you could thin out the claws a bit. I constantly am reminding myself-- "less is more" when it comes to materials. Also, now that I have more time logged at the bench, I'm much more deliberate with my steps. This is especially true with new to me patterns. Dan gave a great suggestion to make a few wraps at the base of the claws, that will help them keep their form when moving through the current. Maybe add a few strands of flash in the claws too, on a few of them.

Great looking fly though, very nicely done:thumbup:

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the encouragement. Yea, I already have slimmed and even shortened the claws...it DOES look less intimidating,,esp if I were the size of a fish !
Dave, I very much appreciate the visual of the one you tie,,,very kewl indeed. Been gone about all day,,,and I'm tired to the bone,,so I might not tie anything tonite,,but soon as I do another crawdad I'll see what ya'll think of that one.

Mike

tbblom

Reaction score
a little lighter and fuzzier (for a soft landing), and you got yourself a killer carp crayfish. Maybe bead chain eyes and a weed guard too for snaggy conditions.

chased

Reaction score
They look really good can and should definitely produce some fish! I tie a crayfish pattern that was originally intended for carp, but I've found that just about anything that swims will take it. I normally tie them with the eyes on top of the hook near the the eye of the hook, so it rides hook point up in the water so it doesn't foul up as much.

It's about 3 inches long, so normally the small fish shy away from it :D

-Chase

random user

Reaction score
I can still tweek the 'claws' and contour the tail 'joint area' some to make it more movable on the strip retrieve. I kinda needed to see it in a photo myself,,,shows me more really than just holding it in my own hand.

If you're not completely satisfied with it, I'll PM you my address. I'll gladly play 'keep-away" with the smallies with it.