Some fly patterns to share

C

cariboo87

I have tying fever in the worst way so I figure id share a whack of my successful patterns. Dang I cant wait to get back into tying arghh

C

cariboo87

Wow, beautiful work. Way to go!. Now post some pictures of the fish those flies take.

Tom
Thanks guys, once I get tying gear again ill definitely post more patterns, I have lots of salmon and steelhead patterns to.

Heres are some pictures I could find quickly of fish caught by flys above.

lol

wabi

Reaction score
Some really nice looking flies there!

With snow on the ground and below freezing temps predicted for the rest of the week I just might give my vise a workout this week. :rolleyes:

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice patterns and very, very nice tying!

They're all well proportioned, clean, precise, and they look like they'll stand up to a few teeth.

They all look like winners to me!

We need to get you into some of our Fly Swaps. Any interest in that?

Pocono

silvertip8k

Reaction score
Some fly patterns to share, some home grown ties...

here are a few spey/steelhead baitfish ties ans two trout flies strictly using materials from harvests...Elk, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, White Tail, Buffalo, Wild Turkey, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Pheasant, Squirrel ect...even a few creatures that met a sad ending by less than natural terms...like my truck...

after using a stomach pump and seing quite a bit I started to relize that so many of the patterens we take for gospel are more of an irritant or stimulator to trout and larger species....a provocation rather than imitating a food species...I still tie some stuff w/ flash and striking colors too...but am sort of on a "kick" using my harvested materials that are more demure in coloration...

here are a few...

I call this one "drop tine" because of the wood duck wing pin feather imitation a lower fin...Moose and Elk mane & some buffalo tail wire for the tail...Buffalo dubbing, Gadwall outer wing and Wild Turkey fan sprigs...

to get an idea of the size...a larger/longer tie...I want to make a few of these w/ articulating hook a bit farther back too...

here is a minnow/ baitfish with some red cardinal hackle style to imiate a wounded baitfish...pretty common find in larger species bellys...

red spey1

this one started out as sort of a durham ranger turned mountain man...Elk and Mule deer fur for the outer body...wood duck for the side panel accent...

here is a version with a longer tail of wood duck wing feather and streamlined a bit...ands some white fur for a little hood...

"Pope & Young"

here is a wet fly that is real simple...buffalo wool dubbing...elk fur tail and gadwall wing...this fly is a great top fly in dropper rigs on the S Platte...you can fish it as a nymph or single as a small streamer...a hackle could be added and a fatter wing and be a good large caddis too...I have tied some w/ some lead wire & clipped wing w/ added legs for a good stone fly nymph...colors match real good what I find w/ the pump...

here is my favorite maylfy dry...a gray drake hair body and wing...mule deer for the gray body...elk, and gray squirrel for the hair wing...I dose this tie with some dry ginks real good and let it dry thoroughly...then fly powder too when I use it, to keep it floating with only a few contact points...

streamside...

I am not the greatest tyer...but I enjoy myself and do catch some fish with these...I just love using stuff from my harvests , especially with my home made bamboo trout and spey rods...ted

Last edited:
C

cariboo87

Nice patterns and very, very nice tying!

They're all well proportioned, clean, precise, and they look like they'll stand up to a few teeth.

They all look like winners to me!

We need to get you into some of our Fly Swaps. Any interest in that?

Pocono
I LOVE fly swaps but right now I have to regain what I had to tying materials and such as I had to sell almost everything I owned in February due to me being in a car accident (hit a huge moose) and having to pay bills and keep a roof over the family's head while I healed up. I made a post in the buy and sell area on this site looking for materials and such so I can get back to what I love most, tying and fishing. It was tough to get rid of what I loved most as you can see I take pride in what I do and am going absolutely bonkers right now not tying.

Thanks for the great comments and likes everyone, when I get back to tying I will post up alot more for everyone!

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

here are a few spey/steelhead baitfish ties ans two trout flies strictly using materials from harvests...Elk, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, White Tail, Buffalo, Wild Turkey, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Pheasant, Squirrel ect...even a few creatures that met a sad ending by less than natural terms...like my truck...

after using a stomach pump and seing quite a bit I started to relize that so many of the patterens we take for gospel are more of an irritant or stimulator to trout and larger species....a provocation rather than imitating a food species...I still tie some stuff w/ flash and striking colors too...but am sort of on a "kick" using my harvested materials that are more demure in coloration...

here are a few...

I call this one "drop tine" because of the wood duck wing pin feather imitation a lower fin...Moose and Elk mane & some buffalo tail wire for the tail...Buffalo dubbing, Gadwall outer wing and Wild Turkey fan sprigs...

here is a wet fly that is real simple...buffalo wool dubbing...elk fur tail and gadwall wing...this fly is a great top fly in dropper rigs on the S Platte...you can fish it as a nymph or single as a small streamer...a hackle could be added and a fatter wing and be a good large caddis too...I have tied some w/ some lead wire & clipped wing w/ added legs for a good stone fly nymph...colors match real good what I find w/ the pump...

here is my favorite maylfy dry...a gray drake hair body and wing...mule deer for the gray body...elk, and gray squirrel for the hair wing...I dose this tie with some dry ginks real good and let it dry thoroughly...then fly powder too when I use it, to keep it floating with only a few contact points...

I am not the greatest tyer...but I enjoy myself and do catch some fish with these...I just love using stuff from my harvests , especially with my home made bamboo trout and spey rods...ted

Nice flys. I have tons of patterns that are not as vibrant and eye catching also, just no pictures at this point. I find it all depends on the day and species of fish. The Grayling here LOVE the bright colored nymphs and such but some days a simple tom thumb will do the trick. Weather, water clarity, temperature all play factors into what trigger the trout to strike. Once I get my other computer back Ill post pictures of my mayflys and such as they are made with all natural materials and such.

Same with Chironomids, some lakes a basic simple brown chironomid is the key to success yet some lakes I have throat pumped a fish and bright neon green or purple chironomids are what it takes. If that color is what the fish are after then that is what is on the end of my line. Same when I go for steelhead. Some days a basic lady caroline works, next day could be a popsicle made with every color of the rainbow. Funny what can trigger a fish somedays.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

And the last few I could find on this computer (all the rest is on my desktop in storage)

Pocono

Reaction score
I LOVE fly swaps but right now I have to regain what I had to tying materials and such as I had to sell almost everything I owned in February due to me being in a car accident (hit a huge moose) and having to pay bills and keep a roof over the family's head while I healed up. I made a post in the buy and sell area on this site looking for materials and such so I can get back to what I love most, tying and fishing. It was tough to get rid of what I loved most as you can see I take pride in what I do and am going absolutely bonkers right now not tying.

Thanks for the great comments and likes everyone, when I get back to tying I will post up alot more for everyone!

Good luck re-stocking your tying materials. Life has a way of changing on you; sometimes when you least expect it. Adaptability is usually the thing that gets you through it best.

Maybe you should work up a pattern: Moose Meat - just to get even with the critter that whacked you. :D

Hope you're doing better now.

Happy New Year!

Pocono

PS we've got another person from Alberta on this forum; from Fort Saskatchewon, I think. His name is Kerry Pitt; you should try to hook up with him if you're not too far apart. His screen name here is: Kerry_ Pitt; also an excellent fly tyer.

C

cariboo87

Good luck re-stocking your tying materials. Life has a way of changing on you; sometimes when you least expect it. Adaptability is usually the thing that gets you through it best.

Maybe you should work up a pattern: Moose Meat - just to get even with the critter that whacked you. :D

Hope you're doing better now.

Happy New Year!

Pocono

PS we've got another person from Alberta on this forum; from Fort Saskatchewon, I think. His name is Kerry Pitt; you should try to hook up with him if you're not too far apart. His screen name here is: Kerry_ Pitt; also an excellent fly tyer.
He is actually a friend of mine!

silvertip8k

Reaction score
more homegrown w/ flash

having gone through a three year phase of so much flash...on everything... I started as I said a few posts earlier I got into some more basic stuff...

but that said...I know the value of flash when it comes to catching fish...but I am at lower level of opinion now more than ever as to the times...used to be a great added thing on those really bright and sunny days...fishing darker ties on the overcast or bad weather...but then recently I tried some on(flashed versions) on those dreary days too...??

now its never a given...I made a few of the other big ties w/ some flash too...blue /purple and yellow /green...I usually fish w/o first...then always try with if no aggressive hits come...

these ties look more like something I used to buy with the strands on it...there is something about deer or elk hair with that blue / purple stuff!...after looking at the pics I should have combed them out a bit...I got them wet to see how they looked and they dried a bit rough...next time...

here are a few different ones...with flash...the guinea hen ones are real producers...

the guinea hen one w/flash...

and a few others...

the angle really changes the color a lot...

btw...happy new year to those here...being the non party person...I got up early looking for something to do...might even go fishing later...no competition today...especially from my younger angling friends...LOL...

cariboo...I really like the hair wing's...I guess there are a lot of folks that use them...I still buy(or bought) chernomids...I still have dozens and dozens left over from years past...besides...size 18 and smaller arent my strong point...I wish I could tie the small ones ...just streamers , nymphs and drys 18 and larger...

Last edited: