Coyote fur.

rockriver

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, don't they have wanton waste laws in Michigan? :confused:
Only for game animals that people eat. The coyotes in this area kill everything that they can catch and the population is growing. A hugh number of them have major parasite or mange problem which nobody would touch.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I would definately double check that law. I seriously doubt Coyote are exempt from the law. I'd have checked myself for you, but your DNR is even more scewed up than mine. If you try and call them it's a friggin nightmarish waste of time and their website is of no help. Look in your regulation book and double check that. If you do it wrong, and they can tack more than one violation on you, it can mean loss of all hunting and FISHING privledges. Better safe than sorry.

L

Liphookedau

It's a shame you haven't Tanned any of The Coyote Skins,I myself from time to time shoot The Ferals & not always are The Skins worth taking.
It looks really Nice Fur,I bought some last year from The US which I haven't Tied with yet however I've used Fox,Dog & Dingo for many years which are easily to Tie with,The Coyote looks a little softer.
I think if you did Tan any Good Skins you get there would be a market for it,also they would make beaut Matts & Rugs.
Brian

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a shame you haven't Tanned any......I think if you did Tan any Good Skins you get there would be a market for it,also they would make beaut Matts & Rugs.
Brian
There is a market for it, in fact a good skin used to get a pretty good bit of change if it was the right kind. Montana Blue Coyote used to be spendy. Not sure now days. There used to be a pretty good market for skeletons. You could skin them and bury them in burlap and chicken wire. We used to use a bug box or sand and water boxes for doing it when I worked at the museum. We did a big Leatherback Sea Turtle by burying it in a friends yard that worked there. We did a Rino that had a fatal 'mating' encounter with another Rino at the zoo. That was the smelliest thing ever. We did a smaller Gray Whale in a big sand box. Before my time there so I can't testify to how bad that one smelled. There's all kinds of things you could use them for. Teeth for Native American jewelry. If you got a good one I'll bet there are taxidermists that would love to get them. Taxidermy schools if you have one in the area.

dean_mt

Reaction score
My father-in-law is a trapper, now more of a hobby for him but he still runs an active line every fall. He gets a few coyotes a season. Skins and sells everything he traps of course. There was time, in the 80s, when he actually could make some money at it. At any rate, I don't get shooting just to kill. If you're not at least going to take the pelt for use or sale, it seems like blood lust.

il_wi_fishing

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods the populations are ever on the increase. We have a decent size pack that will come into our neighborhood pretty frequent. They have carried off household pets and animals from a neighboring farm. The farmer lost 6 goats in only a few months.

My neighbor opened up his garage this summer to screaming just to find a yote strolling down the street with a cat in its mouth.

We could use some thinning.

dean_mt

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods the populations are ever on the increase. We have a decent size pack that will come into our neighborhood pretty frequent. They have carried off household pets and animals from a neighboring farm. The farmer lost 6 goats in only a few months.

My neighbor opened up his garage this summer to screaming just to find a yote strolling down the street with a cat in its mouth.

We could use some thinning.
I guess it's different here. Coyotes are "classified" by the state FWP as a "non-game predator" and can be killed year round. And a lot them are. But Montana is feaking huge. Out on the E side of the state, if you see a coyote and have a rifle in the rig, and you don't shoot it, there is something wrong with you. I've found it kind of strange. And I'm not against hunting or trapping. I hunt and like I said, my father-in-law traps and I've gone out on his line with him. I find it quite interesting, he is a smart guy and when it comes to knowing animal behavior, he understands it well.

I digress, in the mid-west with exploding populations of wildlife and ever expanding suburbs, there will be more and more conflict. The populations do need to be controlled. I think farmer and ranchers should always be allowed to shoot on site if their animals are threatened. But shooting animals from the road just because it's there and you can and leaving it for the ravens and vultures ... well, I just don't see it.

williamhj

Reaction score
I hear a lot about the coyote problem in parts of Denver metro. This past Fall colleague's son let the dog out one night in the subdivision (fairly heavily populated area). When the dog was doing it's business several coyotes jumped their fence and killed the dog in front of the kid. They are getting pretty bold. I talked to a horse rancher a bit South who'll sit on his back deck and pick one off some evenings, I know they've killed cats and chickens and I think they've gone for foals as well. Seems wanton waste to me, though if one killed my dog (or foal) I'd lose compassion rather quickly. But if you are able to use what you kill it seems odd to leave it.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think what Dean is trying to say is, just shooting it and leaving it to rot is kind of wrong and I agree. It might not be technically wanton waste there, I'm pretty sure it technically is here, but even if it isn't that does not make it right. If you shoot it you should do something with it. And while I'm making observations, I hope the Coyotes get every darned Cat around. Cats are a furry little environmental disaster. They should never be let outside to run around and kill small birds and animals by the tons. They do more real damage than most of the stuff so called environmentalists think are causing problems. If I had to pick which I think is worse, Coyotes or Cats, I would have to go with Cats. Cats do not belong outside.

sandfly

Reaction score
eastern yotes are bigger and have longer fur than the western ones, they have excellent fur for tying..tails make superb wings on streamers and steel head flies..

Rip Tide

Reaction score
. We did a smaller Gray Whale in a big sand box. Before my time there so I can't testify to how bad that one smelled.
I once fished a beach in Nova Scotia where there was a rotting dead whale.
The stink was so powerful that you could smell it at a distance much further than you could see
Of course I had to go look. Turns my stomach to this day :icon_neut

sandfly

Reaction score
Cats are a furry little environmental disaster. They should never be let outside to run around and kill small birds and animals by the tons. They do more real damage than most of the stuff so called environmentalists think are causing problems. If I had to pick which I think is worse, Coyotes or Cats, I would have to go with Cats. Cats do not belong outside.
They do make great coyote bait though !!!

wt bash

Reaction score
Cats are a furry little environmental disaster
I hate cats but my girlfriend's brings home a steady supply of moles. You know you're in a lasting relationship when you significant other catches you shaving a dead mole on the counter and stays with you!

eastern yotes are bigger and have longer fur than the western ones
My neighbor showed me some pics from his trail camera and I couldn't believe how bloody big those buggers get! I still haven't seen any around here but sometimes you can hear them cackling after a kill and I live right outside urban Akron.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
To the original question, which some have already responded, coyote fur is an excellent tying material. I also used to do a lot of trapping, but because of my job, no longer have the time. Here in MD, coyotes can be killed year round because they've become such a nuisance. I understand how killing off such a nuisance animal can be viewed as necessary, but personally, hate to see anything wasted. I've never trapped or killed one, they say they've been reported in every county here, but I've never encountered any. During the years when I trapped, I caught several hundred foxes, and recall killing 2 that had mange, but neither were left to spread the disease. I buried both of them, and quite deeply to keep them from being dug up.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once fished a beach in Nova Scotia where there was a rotting dead whale.
The stink was so powerful that you could smell it at a distance much further than you could see
Of course I had to go look. Turns my stomach to this day :icon_neut
It is a horrible smell isn't it. When we did the Rino, you could take a shower and still stink. There was a guy doing fish skeletons in the bug box on the museum roof and that was nasty as well. When we did the big turtle, we left it buried for well over a year and then had a Turtle Daquiri Party. Everyone one went over and we had chips and drinks. Good fun till we got down to the turtle. It wasn't done yet. :faint: I have thought about doing a fish skeleton. They are pretty cool.

The way they did the whale was put in in a really big box with a liner and then covered it with sand. Then you fill it with water and every once in a while, pull the drain and put in new water.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

you can hear them cackling after a kill and I live right outside urban Akron.
I used to see them walking down sidewalks in Oceanside California when I lived there. I had three or four watch me while they walked down the side walk on the other side of the street as I walked the other side. They run around pretty openly in San Diego as well. The way they built the city is to flatten off the tops of the hills and build on those. There are essentially wild canyons running all through everywhere there. There is a ton of wildlife right in town. I had Deer tracks in my yard in Oceanside and I wasn't even on the edge of town. I have seen Mountain Lions there, all kinds of stuff. When nobody hunts or harasses them they get pretty bold. They also eventually hit a natural balance. Really have to watch the small pets though. One time a lady left a kid in a car seat while she brough the groceries into the house and came out to find a Coyote trying to drag the kid out of the car by his pampers. That kind of got the Coyotes in trouble for a while.

wt bash

Reaction score
I lived in San Diego for a while and they were everywhere but scrawny compared to the trail cam shots I saw. I always viewed things like that as making that place interesting, foolish as it sounds when a lion was spotted in Balboa Park I had to go looking never found it thankfully. I used to walk from my place in University Heights to a girlfriends in Golden Hills and whatever the road was took you through a small canyon section where you could see them in every passing headlight scrambling around on the canyon floor. Dan were you stationed out there? I still have my clearance papers and ID badge to get into the Sub Base rattling around here somewhere.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dan were you stationed out there? I still have my clearance papers and ID badge to get into the Sub Base rattling around here somewhere.
Nope, I went to Boot Camp there. Also A School and BEE School. Then I went to Groton for Sub School and off to Pearl Harbor. I moved back there after I got out of the Navy. I worked at the Natural History Museum in Balboa Park. I used to walk around behind rippers and dozers looking for fossils. Best job I ever had.

Speaking of critters in Balboa Park, the best one I ever saw was one day when I was actually at the museum (spent most of the time in the field), I went outside to have lunch by the fountain. There is this bum setting there and feeding pidgeons with bread he got from a trash can sandwich. He kept dropping them closer and closer till he got one up on his lap. Then he grabbed it, snapped it's little neck and shoved it in his jacket pocket and casually strolled away. :eek: