Klinkhammer

shimloom

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone uses the Klinkhammer. I started fishing this fly last year and did so good on it I have been buying them in lots of sizes and colors. What are your experience with this fly.
Craig

lthrnk03

Reaction score
I haven't fished with them yet, but I have tied one or two of them up. Great looking flies that are supposed to be highly productive.

williamhj

Reaction score
I like it and find it to be a useful pattern, especially as an emerger. For that I tie it in 16's or 18's. As a 12 or 14 it can make a good 'indicator' for a small nymph or dry fly that would be hard to see on the water. You can tie it in really any mayfly pattern, just tweek the dubbing and hackle. Can also use a bit of foam on the top if you want a more buoyant indicator.

shimloom

Reaction score
I fished these flies last year (dry fly nut) and was struck at how productive they are. I only fished this dry fly (last year) in different sizes and colors and they all work very very well. It is a standard in the UK, when I lived there I am not sure if they were available or not. Going to see how well I do this year on them.

Craig:thumbsup:)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
It's one of the best emerging patterns around. Depending on size, color, and dress, a Klinkhammer could represent a caddis or a mayfly.

If you plan on tying them, I highly suggest using the Partridge brand Klinkhammer hooks. They have the right bend and gap.

Dennis

silver creek

Reaction score

shimloom

Reaction score
I don't do to much tying but when I try to bend hooks I break them. Even taking the barb down I break the point. I just buy them now and save yelling at the fly for having cheap hooks! I don't know why more American fishermen don't fish this fly, maybe they just haven't been exposed to it.

Craig

rayzor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I fish the KlinkHamer , I use a size 14 Tan KlinkHamer, Red Game Hackle, Use very fine mono on the Body for rib , it keeps body fraying after many fish. white post. great fly for fishing NZ (Klink n Dink). It is a fly that imitates an Emerging Caddis .

Some Rivers like the Derby Wye over here in the UK , they are not allowed as its DRY FLY ONLY ! No Emergers.

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Here's a bit of History on the Fly and its Master "Hans Van Klinken"

Hans van Klinken bio

Nice to Know the History

shimloom

Reaction score
My best results are from a size 14 pheasant tail CDC. I fish dries a lot and found this fly watching a Oliver Edwards video on you tube. It is now my go to fly. I have got a number of sizes and colors in this pattern. I have been telling my buddies and others like this forum about this fly, great producer!

Craig

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I was thinking of tying some up to use as crippled mayfly emergers. I figure a size 14 or 16 light wire scud hook, brown antron or pheasant tail abdomen, and cream dubbing on hot orange or chartreuse thread thorax might make a nice sulphur emerger, or the same thing with a fluorescent yellow or chartreuse thorax might make a nice attractor.