Midwest Fly Patterns Question (please dont be too upset)

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Hi all!!! So I must admit that I am scared to ask for this advice but I really could use the help here. I am new to fly fishing first of all. I have been spin fishing my entire life in the northwoods of WI, but now at 27 am getting hooked on fly fishing. My problem is I am having a heck of a time deciding what flies to bring with me on my outings. I have been studying the bugs of the rivers, and looking and watching countless different patterns, and it is a bit overwhelming. So here it is:

If you could bring 5 dry flies and 5 nymphs with you to fly fish in MN and WI what would you bring. Targeting brookies, browns and bows.

I will be making a trip to a major fly shop soon and of course will ask advice there, but I like lots of opinions. So far the flash back pheasant nymph is one that I locked in.

Thank you in advance for helping out a very green fly fisherman.

williamhj

Reaction score
I'm sure folks who fish up there more will jump in but I wanted to say welcome and don't worry about asking for advice!

I've fished up there a few times (in-laws have a cabin) and been successful with bushy dries like humpys as well as parachute adams, and some picky trout hit soft hackles nicely! That said, it's only been July that I've fished there and only a few times for trout (usually went for bass). Depending on where you are in the northwoods of WI, talk to Bill at We Tie It Fly Shop in Boulder Junction. I've stopped in there a few times while we were out that way and he's nice and helpful.

klunker

Reaction score
Sounds like your going to be chasing stream trout. If I were you I'd ask a local fly shop what they recommend. I don't know what shop your going to go to but I would say this. Go to a shop that specializes in fly fishing. Don't waste your time at a Bass Pro shop or a Cabelas or some similar type place. My experiences at these type of places have been very bad. Rarely will you find an employee that is a hard core fly fisherman at these places. I had a guy at Cabelas "fly Shop" in Richfeild tell me that I need to carry at least 4 or more rods with me when I go fishing. Said he always does when hes out trolling for Walleye in Lake Winnebago.

I started out the same as you about 3 years ago. I went to Tight Lines in DePere, Tim and Charlie gave me lots of help. Helped me pick out some flies, how to fish them and even specific spots on a river to fish. I managed to catch 2 steelhead on my 3rd time out because of their help.

Good Luck!

Where are you in Northern Wisconsin? Anywhere close to the Brule?

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I actually live in Minneapolis now unfortunately. I grew up in Hayward until I was done with high school. I make it back often to hunt and fish with family though. I actually fished the Brule last spring for the first time, and thats what got me into fly fishing. I was using sponning gear for steelhead, and envied the guys with the fly rods. There is a nice fly shop in Hayward I will go to, but for now I plan on visiting Summit fly shop in St. Paul and The Fly Angler in Blaine, MN. Just need to find the time to get there!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't help with WI fly patterns, but if it were me I would go to the fly shop that is closest to where you plan to fish, they will be dialed in on the current conditions and be able to give you better advice than a shop that is say 200 miles away.

alexs

Reaction score
I strongly recommend you to read some of Rich Oshthoff's books before starting to fill fly boxes with"this week's hot patterns". He lived and fished WI his whole life.
I would suggest "Active nymphing" and "No hatch to match". You might find them in libraries or jut buy them (I did and I am glad I did) and re-read them a couple times. The two books overlap a bit in content; if i'd have to pick only one I'd get the second one. He prefers simple flies custom tailored for his style of fishing (patterns are given). The most important thing is the fisherman's skill/technique ("it's not the arrow, it's the indian") and advice on how to handle various situations is given.
There is lot of info on fly shop websites regarding local water conditions, insect activity (hatches), and so on. You don't whant to fish mayfly immitations when the trout is gorging on caddis pupas.
For people starting out in fly fishing for trout, I strongly recommend Joe Humphrey's book "Trout Tactics". It will shorten the learning curve tremendously!

It looks like I am digressing from the subject, but I believe that fly patterns should be the least of worries for a beginer. Skill and kmowledge of what is going on under the surface of the water is 90% of having a successfull fishing day.

I hope I am not offending anybody, it is not my intention. Tight lines.

Alex

ghocevar

Reaction score
I second klumkers advice on going to Tight Lines Fly shop...the know all the rivers, hatches, etc...throughout the state.

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
I agree with needing to learn more tactics without a doubt. I absolutely take no offense to this at all. I'm sure I will never become an expert which makes the sport all the more fun. I guess what I was asking was more of what would be a good staple to have in the fly box. I am assuming that people have a select few flies that always go out with them regardless of the conditions. I could be wrong, but that was more what I was trying to find out.

Thanks for the book titles, I have already flund them cheap online and placed my order :) I definity understand the concept that it is all the fisherman and less the gear. It is much like walleye fishing or crappie fishing in that aspect. Tactics out fish tackle everyday. Thanks!

klunker

Reaction score
I have fished the Brule for several days each of the last 2 falls. I know several of the people that guide the river and what they like to use. I can maybe steer you in the right direction as far as fishing the Brule for Fall Steelhead. I would assume these would also work for spring Steelhead.

Egg flies and Nymphs are the go to flies. I don't know how close you are to Superior but Matt at the Superior Fly Shop is one guy that guides on the Brule. He can be very help for as far as flies go. Give him a call, He's a great guy, He'll point you in the right direction.

here is a link to Superior fly shop

Superior Fly Angler

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
There is a very good book for that area. It's called "Fly Fishing the Arrowhead" by Shawn Perich.

One of the best wet flies he mentions is the Professor. I have had a few others that are bigger names mention that fly also. It's about the only fly in the book he does not give a recipe for. I have tied them and have the recipe if you decide to tie them.

I have a list of them here someplace in case you can't find the book, but I don't know where I stuck it right this minute. :confused: I'll look for it.

Hares ear nymph was on the list. The Arrowhead. I would put the Adams on it. He had a mink leech I liked a lot on it. I'll think about it and look for the list. It was a friends book and I copied the fly recipes out of it when I first moved to Minnesota.

In the mean time, the same guy made this list on the web; Northern Wilds: North Country Favorite Flies

ted4887

Reaction score
I'll throw in my $.02 on this topic. When I'm fishing the streams in the northwoods, the flies I will NEVER leave home without are:

Nymphs:

1. Pheasant Tail
  2. Copper John (red & copper)
  3. Pink Squirrel
  4. Bead Head Hares Ear
  5. Brassie

Dries:

1. Adams (sz 16)
  2. Elk Hair Caddis (sz 14 & 16 in both tan and gray)
  3. Blue Wing Olive
  4. Hoppers (usually tan or green bellies)
  5. Beetles & Ants (Do not overlook this. Some spring and summer months I will fish these, and only these all day long)

Streamers:

1. Black Wolly Bugger (Sz 8, I like them flashy)
  2. Olive Wolly Bugger (Same as above)
  3. Crawdads

If you want to pm me the streams you tend to fish the most, I can probably help narrow down the flies a bit more for you.

L

Liphookedau

I haven't Fished The Midwest however I have a Book "Trout Unlimited's Guide to Americas 100 Best Trout Streams" by John Ross.
Even though it's a few years Old it gives The Maps for different areas,Accomodation,Fly Shops & how to Fish each River,etc.
The other thing is you can't beat Local Knowledge which ted 4887 has Given.
Brian.

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Thank you all again for the wealth of knowledge! I have been tying all night. I've got quite a few "one off" flies that I have made based upon your suggestions, but the materials I have force me to improvise.

Looks like I have a lot of reading in my future. Again I really appreciate your time in answering my noobie questions. I am sure I will have many more. I'll be lurking around here soaking up the knowledge. Sure glad I found this forum!

Josh

L

Liphookedau

One Thing about This Forum no-one minds answering & helping anyone,also you will find guys in The US who have Fished about everywhere.
Another thing is we are a Broad Based Group,situated all around The World & The Internet has really made it easy to comunicate.
If you have any more Questions don't hesitate to ask as someone will surely have The Answers.
Brian

Jackster

Reaction score
Try doing a search on hatch charts in the areas you plan on fishing. Most fishy areas have charts such as this and they are usually very close to being realistic.

Jackster

Reaction score
Try doing a search on hatch charts in the areas you plan on fishing. Most fishy areas have charts such as this and they are usually very close to being realistic.

Sorry 'bout the double post. I would delete one but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so.

Last edited:

pszy22

Reaction score
Alot of good advice has already been given, I'll add my two cents.

I'd start out with a few generic looking flies. I find most times a fly that looks a little bit like alot of things will out fish a fly that looks exactly like one thing. Granted 2% of the time that exact looking fly will catch fish when nothing else will.

If you plan to buy a dozen flies, don't buy one each of twelve different patterns. Although it logically may make sense to do so, I can guarantee when you find a fly is working, you will lose it and be bummed out the rest of the day. I would suggest you buy 3 or 4 copies of a couple of patterns and learn how to fish them effectively. You may want to vary the size a step or two.

If you are just getting started, I'd concentrate on sizes 12 - 14, maybe a few 10's, maybe a few 16's.

One last piece of general advice, when you are out fishing, don't be afraid to try different presentations, particularly when fishing a generic looking pattern. If you aren't catching fish using a dead drift, try swinging you fly. I very rarely change flies during the course of a day, but I do frequently change the way I present my fly until I figure out what works.

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Awesome! I will definitely have to look into different presentations. This is something I overlooked. I was concentrated more on the dead drift. Once again thank you for the help. Ill post my first catch. Might have to wait for the last Sat. in march unfortunately. If I post some pics of the flies I have tied maybe you guys could tell me what you think?