Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Clouser Minnow for trout

I don't fish for trout much, but wouldn't hesitate to use a Clouser. Colors would be as suggested to imitate the local forage. However, I'm very selective about the materials I use, particularly for smaller size flies.

Wannafish, the only improvement I can advise on is to use finer textured bucktail. Otherwise you're doing a great job with those.

Don't over look other materials either, such as fox tail. Clousers Foxee series are excellent, and are a great choice for small sizes.

Another option is ostrich herl, which ties an excellent small fly. I like it in black as a leech in the Clouser style. This fly is about 3 inches long. Ostrich can be used sparsely, but IMO, a leech pattern with ostrich herl needs to be tied full, otherwise it slims down in the water way too much, unlike hair.

Last edited by bigjim5589; 04-10-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

2. Likes wannafish liked this post

That's a great looking leech clouser....especially in ostrich. I never thought to use it other than nymphs. I do like the looks of the foxee series. I am kind of intrigued by Ian Collins "Smack Em Spey" that Orvis has on their website. Very light weight, uses tape on eyes I think? But what it uses as a wing is red fox squirrel...perhaps another great alternative to bucktail.

I took a look at that fly on the Orvis website, it would work well I think!

Nothing wrong with fox squirrel tail either!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

5. Likes wannafish, random user liked this post
    Blog Entries

Bigjim5589,
    There is a variation of a Clouser Minnow that is called the Rusty Squirrel. It uses squirrel tail. It's popular in the surf zone in California.

Great lookin clousers! So many variations...oh so little time. Is there a preference on dumbell eyes with no eyes? Do they work the same or are the ones with no pupils lead for added weight for depth? Red fox squirrel tail looks great on a clouser might I say

Quote Originally Posted by kayo View Post
    I have great success with the Mickey Finn color.
    me too. i use holo tinsel on the hook shank for the finn, gold or copper holo for white/tan/brown patterns. they all can light up a sluggish bite!
    http://outdoorsnow.blogspot.com

Yellowstone Fly Goods out of Billings, Montana produces a couple of variations that are deadly. The Foxy Clouser (tied with Red Fox Body Hair) and the Coyote Clouser (tied with Coyote Body Hair). These particular hairs make the fly "breathe" as you strip. Should be able to find these at many fly shops in the northern Rockies.

During some high water last week I was fishing a black ghost Clouser on a sink-tip line for big brookies and land locked salmon.
    I did a lot better than those using nymphs under bobbers.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123