Clouser Minnow for trout

fly505

Reaction score
Hi there, just wondering what is the most popular pattern/color for tying these up for browns and rainbows? What has worked best? I know people have and tremendous success with bass and other freshwater species but what about large browns or rainbows? Thanks and look forward to any replies.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Color choice will depend on the food supply available to the trout.

Light olive over white with a hint of pink for a lateral line can represent a small rainbow trout.

Dark olive over light olive could represent a sculpin. Same goes for brown over tan.

I also use chartreuse over white. I'm not sure what that represents, but it works sometimes.

Dennis

fly505

Reaction score
Nice!! Gonna hve to tie up some that represent small browns and rainbows for sure, got a great sculpin pattern that I've had success with...Sculpzilla. Thanks for the suggestions! Would you tie with brass eyes or bead chain for small to medium sized rivers?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Nice!! Gonna hve to tie up some that represent small browns and rainbows for sure, got a great sculpin pattern that I've had success with...Sculpzilla. Thanks for the suggestions! Would you tie with brass eyes or bead chain for small to medium sized rivers?
Sculpzilla is one of my regulars in the fly box.

As for brass or bead chain? Both. Actually I use a lot of lead. If you want the fly bumpin' bottom like a sculpin, you need to put some serious weight on the fly. If you want the fly to fluctuate a lot like a dace or a baby trout in the current, the lighter bead chain fly along with a slightly longer streamer leader (no more than 7 or 8 feet - normal streamer leaders for me are no longer than 5 feet) and sink tip line are recommended.

Dennis

fly505

Reaction score
Great! Thanks Dennis for the recommendations. I use furled leaders and one of the ones I use for streamer fishing is one made from very soft Fluorocarbon. Sinks well, not long and turns over decent sized streamers. I'll try to tie some up with lighter bead chains and brass dumbbell eyes...lead maybe more than what I wanna throw with my 5 weight. Thanks for all the replies:)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Have you ever tried dead drifting a Clouser Minnow or a Sculpzilla? It is not a technique that gets mentioned a lot since both flies are considered streamers. You may be surprised with the results.

Dennis

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My trout Clousers include Micky Finns, black ghosts, black nose dace, and grey ghosts, (orange, silver, grey)

fly505

Reaction score
You know what I don't think I've tried dead drifting the Sculpzilla. I bet it would be deadly through some rifles and into the head of a pool, like an injured baitfish. Been really wanting to tie up clousers but thought they were primarily for warm water species. Some streamers for trout that I want to tie and try are McKnights Home Invader and Hawkins Triple Double....anyone have experiences with these?

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Hook size 10-4 and about the size you see in the picture as an overall fly. Sparse seems to work best:

\

And, here's another one, although a bit tough to see the Clouser:

:D

Kelly.

fly505

Reaction score
Woah! Beautiful cutthroat! That clouser looks to be a nice imitation of a small brown trout....thanks for sharing the pics :)

wannafish

Reaction score
Color choice will depend on the food supply available to the trout.

Light olive over white with a hint of pink for a lateral line can represent a small rainbow trout.

Dark olive over light olive could represent a sculpin. Same goes for brown over tan.

I also use chartreuse over white. I'm not sure what that represents, but it works sometimes.

Dennis
Your post inspired me to give these a try. My first clouser;

I think I'm gonna like these! Thanks.:cool:

Also; anything I'm doing wrong? Should the head be olive? Tail too long? etc thanks (sorry if this is a hijack)

fly505

Reaction score
Seriously no worries on hijacking...this is great! Wanted a good discussion on these types of streamers....love when pics are used. Very nice clouser might I add. Looks just like a juvenile rainbow. What dumbell eyes are those?!

wannafish

Reaction score
Seriously no worries on hijacking...this is great! Wanted a good discussion on these types of streamers....love when pics are used. Very nice clouser might I add. Looks just like a juvenile rainbow. What dumbell eyes are those?!
Thanks, the eyes are Spirit River inc. "Real-Eyes Plus" 7/32" nickel/red

John

fly505

Reaction score
Nice! Those look great...gonna have to pick up some of their eyes for sure. Love the hint of pink bucktail. Well....now I'm just gonna have to tie some up :) thanks for sharing.

fly505

Reaction score
Don't mind in the least! Looks great! How does the Mickey Finn fish compared to the ever popular chartreuse/white? Man you gotta get some water time with those and let us know which fished better. Thanks!

wannafish

Reaction score
I haven't fished a Mickey Finn much but some guys here swear by them for trout AND salmon (without the weight btw as it is illegal here). It represents a general baitfish pattern; not anything specific that I know of. Definitely going to try these May 1st when the season starts on the river. I was just about to tie one with Chartreuse/white now that you mention it.:)

fly505

Reaction score
That's great! I need to venture out from my usual Bugger, sculpin, leech patterns and start tying out other baitfish patterns for the trout out here in the SW. We have some big browns but havnt really targeted them yet this year with anything other than buggers. Your clousers are lookin good, keep up the good work :)