Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Wool Heads

Default Wool Heads

I recently bought some wool for the first time. Just cream colored so I could marker it. I tied my first wool fly and tied the wool in like i was spinning deer hair. Are there better techniques or is this the usual way to do it. Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

"I was born to fish." -Lee Wulff

2. Likes baseman1 liked this post

Default Re: Wool Heads

What you did works, but there are two other methods that will provide heads that are more dense. First is simply cutting the wool into lengths about 1-2 inches long & placing them in a dubbing loop. A dubbing loop is nothing more than a doubled length of tying thread, and the wool, or any other such material is sandwiched between the two sides of the thread. Then it's spun, usually with a weighted tool, so that a chenille or brush is formed. This is then wrapped & combed or trimmed to get the desired shape.

The other method is the same, but is usually done with wire, forming what is now commonly called a "brush". Enrico Puglisi made these very popular, and they can be made up in advance. Then it's tied onto the hook & wrapped, then trimmed or combed as with the dubbing loop.

It takes a little practice, but either method can produce some very desirable results. By alternating colors within either a thread loop or a wire loop, you can get some nice banded affects.

Hope this helps!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

4. Likes Ard, bigfishcatcher liked this post
    Blog Entries

Don't know if there are other techniques...but your little"beast" looks greatCongrats!

I dub quite often so next time I will have to try using the wool. It will be a wrap, pull back, wrap process correct?
    "I was born to fish." -Lee Wulff

Not sure what you mean, but here's a link to basic dubbing loops.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0yd5qpKaFQ]Mitch's Bobbin Whirler "Basic Dubbing Loop" - YouTube[/ame]
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

8. Likes Ard liked this post

The way I do it is to get a big 1/2" piece of wool and stick it straight over the hook eye and clamp it down. This is a lot easier if there is anything to keep it from spinning right like leftover wing material or thread. Also works great for deer hair.
    Last edited by bigfishcatcher; 05-05-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: can't spell

Royce Dam,The Buz Buszek Award is the highest fly tying award the FFF gives out. Royce Dam won it in 1994 and he is the foremost fly tier that uses wool for flies.

Get his book, The Practical Fly Tier.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...4_RoyceDam.pdf

wool bodied flies
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy