Favorite way to store flys

philbush1127

Account on hold
Reaction score
I feel like I have way to many and that I am overwhelmed. I never really liked the foam fly boxes I always used a 16 door

What's your guys solution to over crowding?

Last edited by a moderator:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
You could get a utility box made by Plano or Flambeau that has dividers that can hold your extra flies. I prefer one that I can set the dividers, so I can make space for the size of the fly.

Then you can replenish your other boxes from that storage box.

Dennis

Jimmie

Reaction score
Fly boxes; storage boxes for bigger flies; then two jars. One jar gets flies to recycle beads and hooks. The other jar gets flies to give away.
At least once a year I'll replace flies with better ties. The old ones go to the jars.

philbush1127

Account on hold
Reaction score
Sometimes I just feel overwelmed I guess I'll just have to start dividing them in separate fly boxes

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That is what happens to us Phil, I have a stack of them but only ever carry 2 on me. You might try the species specific box approach, or the wet / dry way. I used to carry a streamer wallet and a small dry selection when fishing the states.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
What I currently do is have 5 wheatley fly boxes and 2 cf design fly boxes. The CF designs get used for bass flies, they're deep and accommodate big poppers.

The 6" wheatleys are setup 1 for streamers, 1 for nymphs/wets/worms/eggs, 1 for dries, 1 for terrestrials and a 4" for tiny dries and nymphs on threaders. I usually end up with 3 or 4 boxes on the water. Sometimes I do mix a few patterns in each. But they're divided up for the most part.

Everything else goes into one of these from Plano:

It holds 4 separate plano boxes inside. Can easily grab the whole thing and throw it in the car.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I use various boxes & bags to both store & carry flies. I have 2 of the boxes that Dennis posted. They're my boat boxes. I use different size Plano/Flambeau boxes to keep my extra flies, several fly boxes for different types of flies that I'll carry, and a couple of the bags that are normally used for plastic baits. I use them for some bigger flies, and add some extra inserts so I have quite a few flies in a bag.

I don't have pictures of the bags, but do have some of the various boxes I use.

This is a Fox Box.

My 2 boat boxes. Same as the box Dennis posted.

Waterproof Fly Boxes.

Medium Plano/Flambeau box.

Large Plano/Flambeau.

Another Medium Plano/Flambeau box.

Flambeau box, polystyrene. Clear. I used these for display when I tied flies commercially. Don't like carrying them as this type plastic cracks easily, but they're great for storage.

Smaller Plano/Flambeau box.

Small Pocket Size Flambeau box. This one is several years old.

jaybo41

Reaction score
These guys have it nailed. Adjustable storage boxes from Plano for me. I have one smaller Myran that I use to keep dries in. For day trips, I keep them at the house, but when going out for a few days, I usually take them with me and replenish as needed.

philbush1127

Account on hold
Reaction score
I saw some of those water proof boxes big Jim has and I was thinking about getting a couple of those. Thankfully my collection isn't that large yet i don't know what I would do with myself if it was

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Phil, If you browse Ebay, that type of fly box is listed quite a bit by several sellers. It's likely they're being made by the same manufacturer & sold by different sellers & by different brand names. I purchased a few recently from Green Caddis Outfitters & they looked identical to some I had previously purchased from an Ebay seller. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but if you do decide to buy that type of box, look around & compare prices. The boxes I've got are IMO, good quality & are probably made in China.

Keep at this awhile & your collection of flies will likely expand exponentially! :rolleyes:

silvertip8k

Reaction score
I like small glass jars from jam or similar...for streamers similar colored nymphs and drys etc...cheap & airtight ..this is for overflow ...usually I have at lest 5-6 fly boxes full...so I need somewhere to keep any extra flies I tie.

I also like to keep a dozen of a kind or two snagged on a business card for gifts & tryer outers etc...

rockthief

Reaction score
My favorite place is in the corner of a fish's mouth. Other than that I have flies all over the place. THey are in my car, the bedroom, with my rods, some with my reels, in the fly supplies storage cabinet, on my tying table. Kind of embarrassing.

silvertip8k

Reaction score
RT...I guess they are sort of a fashion statement!!:doh:

I always have my recent fav hanging stuck from the visor in my truck...why...I havent a clue except I like to look at it...