Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New to tying-bendbacks

Great discussion on bendbacks...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    You can get the same style of hook from Allen at a fraction of the price. I won't say that the Orvis hooks aren't a little better quality, but I do just fine with Allen hooks and my wallet is better for it.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

*EDIT*

Just checked and didn't see them.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

*EDIT*

Just checked and didn't see them.
    Check this link.

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    Check this link.
    Hmmm, how did I miss that?

Not quite the same hook. That is not to say it won't work better than AVG, it just doesn't have the complete profile that I like about the Orvis Hooks.

Still, I will buy some and try them.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Hmmm, how did I miss that?

Not quite the same hook. That is not to say it won't work better than AVG, it just doesn't have the complete profile that I like about the Orvis Hooks.

Still, I will buy some and try them.

I've have the Allen ones in 2 different sizes. They work well for me. If you do buy some, they always seem to be larger than the size listed. Then again, it seems like hook sizes are never what I expect, and every company seems to do it differently. I can never tell whats what with those damned things.

Nick, & Mudbug, that Allen hook looks like the Tiemco 8089 hook. Nice hook, but pricey( Tiemco). I've not tried any of the Allen hooks, but have in mind to give them a try next time I need hooks. Which for the hooks I already have will be about the year 3030 I think.

Mud, I have some Mustad hooks that look like the hook you posted, more so than the Allen that Nick posted. The ones I have were also intended to be plastic bait hooks I think, they have some lead molded on them, but it's easily removed. First time I saw them my mind started churning & I knew they would work just fine as a fly hook!

Of course, my thought was they would be a good hook for topwater bugs. Never gave the bendback idea much thought. Thanks!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12