Thread coloring

runningfish

Reaction score
Being new to fly tying and not wanting to speed too much $ on the materials.
I colored my flat waxed white thread with red permanent marker.

My questions are
1. Will the red color stay on the thread?
2. I watched some fly tying videos where the finished flies were colored heavily by permanent markers. Will the odor from the markers deter fish away?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Being new to fly tying and not wanting to speed too much $ on the materials.
I colored my flat waxed white thread with red permanent marker.

My questions are
1. Will the red color stay on the thread? My thought is 'no.'
2. I watched some fly tying videos where the finished flies were colored heavily by permanent markers. Will the odor from the markers deter fish away? My answer again is 'no'
But that aside, what is 'not good' is putting on some 'chemical' into a fly. Fish have a VERY good sense of smell. As an example, I haven't used 'after shave' for probably close to 40 years.

Even think about what you use as soap in the shower before you go fishing. Best is to just take some 'river dirt/sand' and scrub down your hands when you get there.

Just more random thoughts.

audax

Reaction score
In the absence of solvent or mechanical abrasion which will remove the pigment, the marker color should remain. That has been my experience.

The source of the odor is the solvent in the marker. As the solvent evaporates, the odor diminishes.

If your goal is to alter the head color, you only need to swipe an inch or two of thread with maker prior to completing the head. The amount of marker pigment/solvent in such a small application is trivial.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I have not won a lottery lately and I'm guessing that you haven't either, but...................... A few spools of thread are one of life's cheap little thrills. Cut loose, get some black, gray, olive, brown and tan. You'll feel better when you look at them sitting there and know that they are all yours. I sometimes look at all the threads and tinsels I've collected over the years and consider how wealthy I really am.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I do it quite often, I have a hundred or more spools of thread, but it is just quicker than changing colors. I hear what Fred is saying, maybe that is why I never catch any fish. :D:D

williamhj

Reaction score
Only thread I've colors was a white 17/0 spool. Would use it for bodies on midges and would color it with permanent marker, generally black. The color held fine.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
So obviously all those spools of colored thread I have are proof of how those dam marketer's have taken advantage of me!

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I hear what Fred is saying, maybe that is why I never catch any fish.
And now to address this statement, it sounds like I've seen too many pictures Larry :D