Glass and Epoxy...Killer Combo

von behr

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with 2-part epoxy on some fly patterns for a while now. On some of the patterns, I slide glass beads on the hook and then cover with epoxy to get a nice baitfish pattern. I add oversize 3-D eyes before applying the epoxy to really give them a small fish bug eye appearance.

These have worked extremely well in size 10 on largemouth bass and trout. I've recently tied some on stainless steel hooks and will try them in saltwater soon.

The glass beads give it the appearance of having scales and do a great job of reflecting the light.

The bulbous shape at the head is the result of the stick-on 3-D eyes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

von behr

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I know they're not exactly "traditional flies" without a lot of fur and feathers, but they really get the attention of many fish. I used the one with the black tail and yellow eyes for largemouth bass quite a bit during the last year. They smashed it pre-spawn, during the spawn, and post-spawn.

It's only a size 10 hook, but I've landed quite a few bass in the 4-6 pound range with it. Other than getting the right amount of epoxy on there, it's a simple fly to tie.

-VB :thumbup:

von behr

Reaction score
Fred,

That's a great idea. I'll PM Ard to see if he's interested. A good friend of mine works at a local fly shop, and they've decided to sell a couple of my fly patterns, but they haven't gotten excited about this one yet, despite seeing it in action several times on a local lake.

I'm trying to get them to sell this one. I usually just trade for gear, so it all goes back to the store anyway.

-VB :)

Last edited:

von behr

Reaction score
Fred,

I just might have to give that a try with the Go Pro. I pm'd Ard and will be sending him a few to try later this week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

von behr

Reaction score
Fred,

I've never used ShooGoo. Does it dry as clear as the epoxy? If it's soft, won't it get beaten up when it hits a hard object?

-VB

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Fred,

I've never used ShooGoo. Does it dry as clear as the epoxy? If it's soft, won't it get beaten up when it hits a hard object?

-VB
Hi VB. Product is used to 'repair' rubber boots, tennis shoes, etc., so once set its not going anywhere. And it stays soft and flexable, the whole point of the product. Rather doubt that fish teeth, bottom rocks, what-ever, are going to phase this stuff. Have 10++ year old set of Wellington Boots that are cover with this stuff and they're still going strong.

Where this stuff may bring bring something to the Party is fish tend to spit out (ASAP) anything that's 'hard.' The soft nature of this stuff may make them hold on a bit longer? And a huge tube is "Cheap as chips" as the Brit's would say.

Just a guess on my part.
Edit: Forgot to respond to a major question: In a very light application it drys almost as clear as Epox. A very heavy applications (boots) a very light tan colour. But the product, out of the tube, is clear.

Fred

von behr

Reaction score
That would just make me even more mad at the tree that stole it.
Nick, Do you mean that you would be upset to lose them? I'm often slow on the uptake, so I don't quite follow.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Ard,

Your flies are ready and will be on their way tomorrow.

-VB :):)

von behr

Reaction score
VB, Thats exactly it. I'd be upset to lose such a nice fly to a old fashioned tree snag.
Got it. At first, I felt the same way, because it took me a while to make each fly. I actually used my rotary vise to spin them by hand until the 5-minute epoxy set.

Now I have an electric wheel to put them on, and the epoxy gets evenly distributed without my pathetic efforts creating lopsided bodies.

With practice, speed, efficiency, and quality have improved. Now I don't feel quite as tortured when I lose one like I did with the first few prototypes.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Nick, Do you mean that you would be upset to lose them? I'm often slow on the uptake, so I don't quite follow.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Ard,

Your flies are ready and will be on their way tomorrow.

-VB :):)
Very high 'Cool Factor' going on here. Can't wait for Ard's report back.

Fred

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Where do you get the glass beads?
Nick you should be able to get them at any shop that sells beads for sewing, etc. The thing you want to do is bring along a selection of hooks to try out 'the bend.' That's where you get hung up if its not 'round' enough or the hole too small.

If the bead hole is too large, not to worry, easy 'fix.' (Hook size dependent) Take 1 to 3 pound clear leader material and build up a base to slide the beads on. Head cement (the leader material) and you're good to go. You do want a snug fit.

Fred

Edit: Forgot to add. You'll probably have to pinch down the barb first.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Never done the Epoxy thing. Actually before this, never even seen same save for the heads on a few salt water patterns. But incorporating a glass bead into a tie really does bring something to the party. Things come round, oval, facited, long (for articulated ties, cut hook off at the bend-insert), etc. And almost every colour you can imagine.

Fred

von behr

Reaction score
Some of the beads won't make the bend, while others in the same batch will negotiate the curve. There's some minor product inconsistency, and a little bit of trial and error.

On smaller hooks, I just lay down a little thread before I slide the beads on. I build up a small bump of thread at the hook eye to stop the beads and allow a little space before the epoxy goes on. The thread gets covered by the epoxy, so there shouldn't be any issue of unraveling on these things.

I have some glass beads I've purchased from fly shops, and some from craft stores. Each of the flies shown has five beads on it.

Ard's flies are size 4 and size 6 saltwater hooks. The barbs are crimped, or the beads would not have made it on there.