Standard Material on hand

meathelmet

Reaction score
So I have started to try and tie flys and have been pretty overwhelmed at the all the material to purchase. What do you guys/girls always keep on hand for your go to or standard material? Do you always have certain feathers, hackle, thread, wire, etc...?

Thanks!

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've been at it for 12 years or so and as a result I the materials I've got on hand borders on obnoxious. The materials can be daunting to build, so what I'd recommend is focus on the flies that you want to tie and buy the materials for those. Over time, you'll build up your supply.

Specifically, the materials you will want to have on hand are going to depend on what type of fish you're targeting and the types of flies you use. If you can help us out there, I'm sure you'll get suggestions.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You can absolutely go broke buying materials when you start out. As Jaybo said give us a clue what you are chasing and we can help you narrow it down. If you tie the same style for awhile, i.e. woolies, nymphs, soft hackle wets, scuds or whatever, you can tie multiple patterns without feeling you need to order new materials everyday.

gt05254

Reaction score
uh, yeah, standard material on hand:

35 years ago I started with this:

I've broadened my horizons, I guess, on what defines "standard materials on hand", LOL....and I only took one pic of that closet.
Gary

meathelmet

Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I typically fish bass, bluegills, crappie, and the occasional carp. I intend to chase steelhead soon in either Michigan or Steel head alley in Cleveland.

gt05254

Reaction score
LOL, on any given day, I think I know about what I have. But I think I'm afflicted with hoarders syndrome. Like yesterday, I bought 2 golden pheasant skins and 4 whiting American hen necks...but you see, they were great deals (can't pass those up!) and, well, American hen necks are, uh, scarcer than hen's teeth. I just wish I had planned as well for my financial future as I have for my fly tying future!!!
Gary

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I don't know what "standard" you're talking about! I've been collecting materials most of my life! I tied commercially for many years & still have supplies I bought then. Plus, all the other tying items I've added in the last 10 years since I gave up commercial tying just to have on hand. Yep, I may even be classified as a hoarder too! :rolleyes:

I don't have pics like Gary, but I likely have enough supplies to stock a fly shop!

This is one wall in my basement, & this is some of the hooks I tie on! I have a lot more tucked away in boxes! In all these years as a fly flinger, I've accumulated materials to tie just about anything, including jigs for use with other tackle. About the only flies I never tied were classic feather wing Salmon flies. I can cover most others! :)

BTW, I'm not just a fly angler, I make lures too and have plenty of supplies for that as well!:shades:

The advise given about getting what you need for specific patterns to get you started is right on the money! :thumbsup:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You guys are out of control :)

Meat you may not need a bank loan with your species list. For the gills and crappie I would suggest chenille in black, yellow, chartreus, white etc. Hooks in the 8-12 range. Lead wire for weight. Pheasant tail and peacock for some nymphs. Always need some wet hackle feathers. There's no end to it but that's a short list of things I try to never run out of for warmwater species.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Ok, so after looking at Gary's materials I don't think mine borders on ridiculous anymore. By comparison, my materials are a modest collection:p
Ditto, but on further inspection I said to myself you just can't have enough fire orange thread.

To the original question there are a bunch of flies that you can tie with just a few materials like peacock herl; pheasant tail; black thread; copper wire; bucktail. Like most said I just buy material to tie a new pattern. Your collection will grow faster than you think that way.

dakotakid

Reaction score
I don't know what "standard" you're talking about! I've been collecting materials most of my life! I tied commercially for many years & still have supplies I bought then. Plus, all the other tying items I've added in the last 10 years since I gave up commercial tying just to have on hand. Yep, I may even be classified as a hoarder too! :rolleyes:

I don't have pics like Gary, but I likely have enough supplies to stock a fly shop!

This is one wall in my basement, & this is some of the hooks I tie on! I have a lot more tucked away in boxes! In all these years as a fly flinger, I've accumulated materials to tie just about anything, including jigs for use with other tackle. About the only flies I never tied were classic feather wing Salmon flies. I can cover most others! :)

BTW, I'm not just a fly angler, I make lures too and have plenty of supplies for that as well!:shades:

The advise given about getting what you need for specific patterns to get you started is right on the money! :thumbsup:
I'd say you are better stocked than the Cabelas near me. :)

repperson29

Reaction score
I've also been wondering this as I want to get in tying. Mostly will be fishing dry flies for small creek brownies. Any suggestions on what type of material? (Manufacturer too, if possible)

Ryan

gt05254

Reaction score
Ryan, my first thought is that you might determine what fly(flies) you wish to tie, then look up the "recipe" for it. That will pretty much tell you what you need to have in stock to tie the fly.

There are any number of reputable fly material dealers out there; several must be sponsors of this site.

Gary

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've also been wondering this as I want to get in tying. Mostly will be fishing dry flies for small creek brownies. Any suggestions on what type of material? (Manufacturer too, if possible)

Ryan
If you get some tailing materials like Antron yarn, Pheasant Tail, Coq De Leon or hackles from an inexpensive cape you will have your bases covered. I love CDL for tailing material, its very durable.

Dubbing in a variety of colors for the body and you can use CDC feathers and fine deer hair for the wing. I got a good piece of advise years ago when I started tying flies and was contemplating the capes for dries. Go with fine tipped deer hair and tie them Comparadun style until you know you want to keep tying. Capes aren't cheap.

UTC 70 thread Gordon's Griffith, or Veevus are my go to's for dry flies.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Ryan, my first thought is that you might determine what fly(flies) you wish to tie, then look up the "recipe" for it. That will pretty much tell you what you need to have in stock to tie the fly.

There are any number of reputable fly material dealers out there; several must be sponsors of this site.

Gary
This would be my advise as well. You may wish to start with patterns you have already used with success. Perhaps 2 or 3 patterns and perhaps 2 sizes if it's applicable to your fishing. Some folks will have success with a single size of a specific pattern.

If you've been buying your flies, then keeping a sample will allow you to know what the end result should look like. Research the recipe, and there are many online & in books, and select what you need from the recipe list.

Then browse some suppliers & compare prices, and as Gary indicated there are many reputable sources. As far as brand names, some shops will have materials with their own labels, ( many only re-label, not actually process the material) while others will be selling supplies from the various wholesalers.

Wapsi, Hareline, Umpqua, Raymond Rumpf are a few of the brands you may see on display. Then there will be the hackle producers, such as Metz, Whiting, Collins, Keough and others. All of these process & package materials, and any of them can be good brands.

Keep in mind that any natural material, fur, hair & hackle will have some variations in quality and use for a specific purpose or pattern. Most experienced tiers develop a preference for obtaining specific materials from a specific supplier or brand. Until you get into tying, & gain some experience you really won't know what you'll prefer.

However, as long as you purchase reputable brands & from reputable sources, you should be fine. Beyond that, ask plenty of questions, particularly if you're unsure about what you need or whether you need it!

repperson29

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm trying to figure out what hatches are around my areas and when, is there a resource on the net for this type of stuff? I know mayflys are common here. I'm going to call my local fly shop tomorrow and see what's common around here.

But again thanks for all the help

Ryan

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'd like to think that I can tie useful flies from anything that I have lying around the house ....

That's a big temptation for me and it wouldn't be that hard for me to go that way but I've got tons of accumulated **** lying around after tying for almost 50 years. :rolleyes:
Personally, if I have fur for dubbing (almost any kind), game bird hackle, peacock herl, bucktail, saddle hackle, thread and hooks,... plus normal household materials. I can tie almost anything that I need.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm trying to figure out what hatches are around my areas and when, is there a resource on the net for this type of stuff? I know mayflys are common here. I'm going to call my local fly shop tomorrow and see what's common around here.

But again thanks for all the help

Ryan
Ultimate Angler?

I think you mentioned in another post that you fish Pine. Sandfly, a member here has a shop there. You should get in touch with him if you haven't been to it already.

These books are pretty solid. The first has more on the streams themselves and the second will really help you hone in on the hatches.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Streams-Hatches-Pennsylvania-Complete-Fly-Fishing/dp/088150453X"]Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania; A Complete Fly-Fishing Guide to 140 Rivers and Streams: Charles R. Meck: 9780881504538: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KuZ%2BGw-dL.@@AMEPARAM@@51KuZ%2BGw-dL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pocketguide-Pennsylvania-Hatches-Charles-Meck/dp/0979346053/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386807611&sr=1-1&keywords=pocket+book+of+hatches+pa"]Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches: Charles Meck, Paul Weamer: 9780979346057: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51u07rC3gmL.@@AMEPARAM@@51u07rC3gmL[/ame]

C

changler

Thanks fellas, I typically fish bass, bluegills, crappie, and the occasional carp. I intend to chase steelhead soon in either Michigan or Steel head alley in Cleveland.

Lots of patterns work well for both warmwater bass and panfish as well as coldwater species like steelhead. Muddlers, bunny leeches, and palmered marabou patterns like the Alaskabou flies all work well for warmwater species and trout/steelhead.

If that's your focus, I'd load up on marabou, bucktail, bunny strips, schlappen/rooster saddle, wool patches..basically anything which breathes when it's soaked in water. Add some flash material- flashabou, krystal flash, lite brite..as well as rubber legs and sheet foam. Black, purple, chartreuse, white, gray, brown/orange/yellow have all been proven effective for me, but your mileage may vary :)