McMurderer?

yahootey

Reaction score
This is my first post and you guys have a lot of info on here so thanks for that. My dad and I just booked a week long trip to Lawrence Bay Lodge and I'm going to try pike on the fly. The lodge recommends a fly called the McMurderer but I can't find a pattern anywhere. I'm going to call the lodge but thought someone on here might know of it. Thanks

M

mridenour

Welcome. I don't know the fly but that is sure an interesting name for one. Might be a local variant for something more well known. Chances are someone on here has seen or even tied them.

king joe

Reaction score
Ouch....

I am not one for being to overly picky or sensitive about things like fly names or the like...and definitely can laugh along with the others about things so mundane...but this one....grates on me. Perhaps that is why you're not finding it in your searches. Its a little off-colour.

Just sayin' is all.

King Joe Outa Here!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and best of luck Pike fishing at the Lawrence Bay Lodge. After looking at that pattern, I'm guessing any big dark streamer pattern would work, especially one of the big articulated patterns. Check out Kelly Galloup's web site for some ideas on big streamers. He also has some tying videos on Youtube that might be of interest.

Edit: Take a look at this streamer tied by fishtooth: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ng-flys-tonight-here-some-pictures-share.html

Larry

Last edited:

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and best of luck Pike fishing at the Lawrence Bay Lodge. After looking at that pattern, I'm guessing any big dark streamer pattern would work, especially one of the big articulated patterns. Check out Kelly Galloup's web site for some ideas on big streamers. He also has some tying videos on Youtube that might be of interest.

Edit: Take a look at this streamer tied by fishtooth: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ng-flys-tonight-here-some-pictures-share.html

Larry
I think the effectiveness of the "McMurderer" fly is in the deer hair head. Have you ever paid attention to the disturbance a deer hair popper will make if you fish it on sinking line? MASSIVE! That thing pushes a ton of water and creates a big bubble. I think that really attracts certain fish like pike. I know it works very much so on smallies and musky. I do think that there are other species that may find this amount of movement to be off putting though. Pike, are extremely aggressive and I doubt they would be scared of it.

However, I think that almost any rabbit strip streamer would work well out there given the super clear water and reputation of aggressive fish.

And thanks, JP!

joshw

Reaction score
I fished a lot of canadian pike on fly in lakes in Sask. and Manitoba. Early (june) fish were all over black leech patterns and bright pink leech patterns. Other colors had there days but if you are sight fishing ice out pike, pack those two colors. I liked to tie them unweighted and weighted with bead chain and lead dumbell eyes. 4.5-6'' patterns were all that was needed. I liked using magnum rabbit strips on the unweighted for really skinny water. The weighted patterns I tied with standard rabbit strips. If you want some bulk to the heads I liked tying them like John Barr's Bouface. They were easier to cast than patterns that used palmered rabbit for heads. One more thing, GOOD Hooks. My favorite hook is a Diiachi XPoint 452 saltwater hook. This hook penetrated the mouth of the pike extremely easy. The other well known hook would be a Tiemco 811S. The plus side on the Tiemco is they are easy to resharpen while the Diiachi don't resharpen well.