The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  117
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 PM
easterncaster

Default Re: Is it the pattern or the presentation??

Was Bob Wyatt's book, "What Trout Want" mentioned? ... apologies if so.

It is a very good read.
YMMV

What Trout Want: A Beautiful Fiction | MidCurrent
Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I just want to say all these are very good answers and wonderful opinions. As for mine fly fishing over the years I have seen all sorts of things, fish that have eaten cigarette butts, pieces of survey ribbons, even saw fish that ate blackberries that fell in the water. With all that info stuck as useless information stuck in my head I carry way to many flies, I read way to much water as to where the fish are holding and feeding at any givin time and I present way to many cast to water that holds no fish just to see if I can land the cast in a tight spot with out a lot of splash. I also fish line to short and line way to long. Flies to small and some way to big, but with all this I have found that we don't need many patterns to catch fish or perfect presentation. We just need to enjoy time on the water, the company we fish with or the solitude of being out on the water alone. All else will work out and we will catch fish.
Likes spm, busbus, tcorfey liked this post
Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM

spm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulator2 View Post
We just need to enjoy time on the water, the company we fish with or the solitude of being out on the water alone. All else will work out and we will catch fish.
Amen, brother. Amen.

steve
Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 PM
easterncaster

For me, simply put:

Presentation
Size

I think about all three. Size vs Profile is an on going conversation. Presentation is the best I can do given the situation. Presentation is why I cast. Size and Profile are why I tie.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

and for those that think we don't have Callibaetis in the East, I present central NY's:

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

.... which obviously looks just like these:Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

or these:

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

and let's not forget, royalty, Mr. H :

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes busbus liked this post
Old 02-03-2015, 07:57 PM

goat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the rough

I say a little of both...but it's all about that drag free drift sometimes!

Good topic, it makes ya think
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes busbus liked this post