Favorite nymphs

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Do you have some favorite nymph patterns that usually produce well? (I'm talking about all-purpose searching patterns, not matches to specific hatches that you only use for a few days a year when fussy conditions require them. You don't need to mention the ones everybody knows about already, either -- GRHE's, pheasant tails, princes, and zug bugs. with or without beadheads, with or without flashbacks.) What are they, what sizes, and how/when do you fish them?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
So far my own nymphing has mostly stayed in the traditional pheasant/hare's ear/peacock family, with a few ventures into Copper Johns in the last couple of years, but I'm eager to try new things. A few that have me intrigued include the Frenchie, Higa's SOS, LaFontaine's Bead Head Twist, and a black beadhead/green body caddis pupa tied with fluorescent or UV Ice Dub or similar dubbing. I'd be especially curious about any experiences any of you may have had with those. Also, any experiences you've had with other nymph patterns that include fluorescent "hot spots".

dc410

Reaction score
Here is one of my go to "nymphs" although I always thought that it takes more the form of a wet fly. Jack Gartside's Sparrow Nymph is a fairly large fly that I like to fish in tandem with other nymphs. I usually tie it on a 2XL size 8 or 10 nymph hook. It is an incredibly buggy looking fly that the fish just can't seem to ignore. As long as it is in the water you are in business (in other words there really is no wrong way to fish it). I am convinced that the movement of the materials in this pattern when it is wet is what makes it so productive. The one pictured is tied using red mink fur for the dubbed body to imitate a iso nymph. Gartside's original pattern called for some sort of mix of squirrell and rabbit for the dubbing on the body. The rest of the materials are all from the ringneck pheasant. Gartside was famous for designing some great flies using pheasant feathers. This is a serious fish catcher!

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Here is one of my go to "nymphs" although I always thought that it takes more the form of a wet fly. Jack Gartside's Sparrow Nymph is a fairly large fly that I like to fish in tandem with other nymphs. I usually tie it on a 2XL size 8 or 10 nymph hook. It is an incredibly buggy looking fly that the fish just can't seem to ignore. As long as it is in the water you are in business (in other words there really is no wrong way to fish it). I am convinced that the movement of the materials in this pattern when it is wet is what makes it so productive. The one pictured is tied using red mink fur for the dubbed body to imitate a iso nymph. Gartside's original pattern called for some sort of mix of squirrell and rabbit for the dubbing on the body. The rest of the materials are all from the ringneck pheasant. Gartside was famous for designing some great flies using pheasant feathers. This is a serious fish catcher!

Jack lived here in Boston and I watched him tie a few of those once. He was sort of casual about what dubbing to use, as long as it was grey and scraggly. I think what he used at that moment happened to be a blend of rabbit and squirrel and antron. The main tip he offered on tying the pattern was not the dubbing, but to twist one or two aftershaft feathers with tying thread in a dubbing loop to reinforce them before wrapping them in the collar, then moisten the fibers (which he did by licking his fingers) and stroke them back as you wrap to keep them from getting caught under succeeding wraps.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Here's a midge/mayfly emerger pattern that I use year round. I'll change the coloration and size for the seasonal bugs.

The great thing about emerger flies is that it can be fished in various ways. They can be dead drifted. They could be swung. They could be fished like a dry fly.

The picture is one that I use as a PMD emerger. I was too lazy to upload a winter color.

Here's the recipe that I'd use for a winter bug like a BWO or Trico emerger.

Hook - TMC 3761 size 16-22. Feel free to experiment with other hooks or even go smaller.
Thread - Uni-Thread 8/0 or similar in dark olive, iron gray, or black.
Abdomen - Clear Micro Stretch Tubing.
Wing Bud - Dun colored CDC Puff tip for BWO. Use white for a Trico.
Thorax - Ice Dub or your favorite nymph dubbing to match thread.

Dennis

comeonavs

Reaction score
Searching nymph tungsten surveyor, based off your criteria of not matching the hatch but general searching
Dai riki 730 size 12 or 14
Brass bead
Lead wire wrap under body
Tail is 6-8 pheasant tail fibers
Silver wire counter wrap
Rainbow scud dub
Orange scud dub thorax
Mylar flashback

Make a dubbin loop it's so much easier to work with while using scud dub

Last edited:

williamhj

Reaction score
JuJu Baetis, RS2 (fished deep or closer to the surface), eggi jaun kenobi (where san juan worms work), zebra midge, this version of a zebra midge/emerger to name a few!

J

james w 3 3

Sawyer's Killer Bug. An oldie but goodie.
Size 14-16, bouncing across the bottom.
Doesn't look like much, but oh my it works!

flyfischa

Reaction score
General Tungsten Nymph
Hook Varivas 16#-12# Wet
6-12 turns of .010-.020 lead wire
Tungsten Bead
Tail Coq de leon
Ultra Wire Rib Chartreuse (vary the colour)
Abdomen Turkey Wing Quill, Mottled Oak
Thorax Hareline Hare's Ear Plus Tan
Wing Case Partridge

I fish it dead drift as a nondescript mayfly pattern varying the size, colour rib and beads depending on conditions. Simple pattern but it works ;)

Tung-1 by fly_fischa, on Flickr

Tung-2 by fly_fischa, on Flickr

Claret Beadhead Nymph
Hook Kamasan B110 16#-14#
Black tungsten bead to match hook size
Thread Uni wine 8/0
.015 Lead wire
Tail brown pardo
Rib wine sm ultra wire
Body wine uni thread
Wing case brown turkey
Thorax claret seal fur

I fish this fly dead drift to sighted fish, it gets down quick due to the skinny profile and materials used. I don't use an indicator and for some reason find this colour combination deadly on late season trout that have seen a lot of traditional nymphs over the season.

Claret Nymph by fly_fischa, on Flickr

dayhut

Reaction score
Do you have some favorite nymph patterns that usually produce well? (I'm talking about all-purpose searching patterns, not matches to specific hatches that you only use for a few days a year when fussy conditions require them. You don't need to mention the ones everybody knows about already, either -- GRHE's, pheasant tails, princes, and zug bugs. with or without beadheads, with or without flashbacks.) What are they, what sizes, and how/when do you fish them?
Briminator - that's it.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

U

uintahflyshop

I can tell you what my customers are buying right now. Midges are by far the most popular. Personally I like the smaller sizes, but my top seller is the #18 Rainbow Warrior. Can't make those fast enough. The black Zebra is second. Ours is a bit unique because our ribbing is a little heavier. I'll try to post pictures of them below.

Also, our Woollies sell really fast, especially in darker colors like brown and black. Not trying to explicitly sell you, just telling you what our customers are buying. And we've sold to almost every US state. Best Regards.

unicoiboy

Reaction score
Around here rainbow warriors are selling like hot cakes as well. So are girdle bugs and squirmy worms.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Uintahflyshop, I may be visiting the Upper Provo above Jordanelle Reservoir this summer. Would rainbow warriors and zebra midges be good bets there and then? What else?

And where in SLC are you located? I checked your website but couldn't find an address.

U

uintahflyshop

The Upper Provo flows into Jordanelle through the Rock Creek campground, part of the Jordanelle State Park. This is really the only part of the Upper Provo you can fish without going into the Uinta Mountains. The ground between the two is mostly private land.

I fish the Rock Creek Upper Provo area more than any place else in the state. It's blue ribbon water that is 30 minutes from my house. I call it my fishing park. You pay the $7 entrance fee and its fly fishing Nirvana. You can fish over 2 miles of the Upper Provo from the park. I think the most fly fishermen I've seen out there is 5. It's awesome. In addition to the main river, there is a gorgeous set of tributaries with smaller fish but totally secluded.

If you go to our website, you will see our very first blog post is of a huge brown my little brother plucked out of there last October. He used our olive #12 Woolly. Depending on when you visit and the hatch times, a Woolly could still be effective. I've done well with dries in the summer using basic PMDs. One thing you should remember is the water can get quite deep as you approach the outlet into the reservoir. Channel runs probably 8 feet deep at times. We generally use 5 weight rigs. If the current is moving strong and deep, I'd switch back to my diving nymphs like Copper John and my beaded Prince. But again, if you catch a nice hatch, you can do some matching.

We're just an Internet business. We run the entire shop from my basement. It's just my Dad and I. We tie flies and have fun. He's retired so its been great fun for him. My kids are now learning to tie so its quite the family affair. We live in Murray in the dead center of the Salt Lake valley. But if its June - September, we pretty much live in the Uinta Mountains, then we hunt in October.

If you come out and want someone to show you around, let me know. Free guide service!