Fly names that make you smile

yikes

Reaction score
I saw a fly today called the Shop Vac, and I had to grin, because it perfectly brags about its purpose.

It seems like fly names are like names of bands, or horses, or boats: yes there are formal and pompous-sounding names, but also plenty of names that will make you laugh at the joke, nod at the cleverness or perhaps snicker at the double-entendre.

So, what are the funniest/goofiest/cleverest fly name(s) you've heard?

(I don't know if this thread has been done before - if so, I couldn't find it - please post the link.)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I like the ones with clever names too. The only ones I don't like are the ones I wouldn't care to discuss with my mother. Named for no other reason than shock value to make them famous and nothing to do with fishing. I assign more class to this sport than that. Won't buy them or tie them whether they work or not.

I'll try to be more positive and edit in a favorite fly later.

Lefty's "Decieiver"

Ard's "The Answer"

"Snake Charmer", not sure who ties it but a pike and musky fly. They are referred to as snakes by some. Especially pike.

Last edited:

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
"Grease Stain" is a funny name for a fly.I remember this one because i was a mechanic for yrs.

"The fly formerly known as Prince" made me laugh when i first heard of it.

tpo

Reaction score
My favorite is the "Swingin' D". Personally, I'd like to try it in 1/0, the "Big" Swinging D... Also, Charlie Bishart's "Pole Dancer" is a classic name.

planettrout

Reaction score

EVIL WEEVIL - in Black...

COW DUNG - SH/Variant...

The SHOP VAC was designed by Rowan Nyman when he worked for Craig Matthews at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. I carry them in #16 - #20 at all times. Some guy who frequents the threads here has also been known to tie one or two of them...:p

Shop Vac

I tie a version of it that uses Danville #47, 6/0, Tobacco Brown thread for the abdomen:

It literally cleans up on the Madison and a number of other places I have used it.

PT/TB

dharkin

Reaction score
I'm going to chime in with the Fat B*stard! It's similar to a Wooly Bugger.

However, there is another pattern that starts with the word "Montreal" that always brings a smile to my face:D:sorry:

Dan

flytie09

Reaction score
Greg Senyo has a bunch of them.

- sick puppy streamer
- shag nasty
- that 70s sculpin

ft09

Rip Tide

Reaction score
However, there is another pattern that starts with the word "Montreal" that always brings a smile to my face:D:sorry:
Ted Williams tied an all bucktail bonefish fly that he called a "*****" too.
I can just see someone asking him, "What did you catch that on ?" and him saying "This ***** right here"
That's the way he talked. :eek:

(***** = "hoe")

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This is a "Buffy the striper slayer"
You can probably guess the vintage. ;)
They may look like any other synthetic bait, but it's the way that they're tied that makes them unique

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
I like the ones with clever names too. The only ones I don't like are the ones I wouldn't care to discuss with my mother. Named for no other reason than shock value to make them famous and nothing to do with fishing. I assign more class to this sport than that. Won't buy them or tie them whether they work or not.
I agree. While a little different the Bit*h Creek nymph and the girdle bug always get me. And the Chernobyl ant. It in no way looks anything like any kind of ant. Much closer to a hopper than anything else...