The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  140
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 PM

yikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant future
Default Fly names that make you smile

I saw a fly today called the Shop Vac, and I had to grin, because it perfectly brags about its purpose.

It seems like fly names are like names of bands, or horses, or boats: yes there are formal and pompous-sounding names, but also plenty of names that will make you laugh at the joke, nod at the cleverness or perhaps snicker at the double-entendre.

So, what are the funniest/goofiest/cleverest fly name(s) you've heard?

(I don't know if this thread has been done before - if so, I couldn't find it - please post the link.)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly names that make you smile

I like the ones with clever names too. The only ones I don't like are the ones I wouldn't care to discuss with my mother. Named for no other reason than shock value to make them famous and nothing to do with fishing. I assign more class to this sport than that. Won't buy them or tie them whether they work or not.

I'll try to be more positive and edit in a favorite fly later.

Lefty's "Decieiver"

Ard's "The Answer"

"Snake Charmer", not sure who ties it but a pike and musky fly. They are referred to as snakes by some. Especially pike.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 10-24-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 PM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

"Grease Stain" is a funny name for a fly.I remember this one because i was a mechanic for yrs.

"The fly formerly known as Prince" made me laugh when i first heard of it.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 PM

tpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of light

My favorite is the "Swingin' D". Personally, I'd like to try it in 1/0, the "Big" Swinging D... Also, Charlie Bishart's "Pole Dancer" is a classic name.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-25-2016, 01:58 AM
Fly names that make you smile

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fly names that make you smile

My all time fav. is a fly called 'The Good Wife ...' The hair wing is made from his wife's Pub. Hair.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:26 AM

weiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to all

My favorite fly name is a popular one here in the Driftless Area, the Hippy Stomper. I think it was originally tied by a Montana guide, FWIW.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-25-2016, 07:16 AM
Fly names that make you smile

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fly names that make you smile

Rat Face McDougal

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:34 AM

wildtigertrout is on a distinguished road

The "Professor", an old wet fly pattern that takes the fish to school and gives them an education!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

EVIL WEEVIL - in Black...

COW DUNG - SH/Variant...

The SHOP VAC was designed by Rowan Nyman when he worked for Craig Matthews at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. I carry them in #16 - #20 at all times. Some guy who frequents the threads here has also been known to tie one or two of them...

Shop Vac

I tie a version of it that uses Danville #47, 6/0, Tobacco Brown thread for the abdomen:

It literally cleans up on the Madison and a number of other places I have used it.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM

dharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to chime in with the Fat B*stard! It's similar to a Wooly Bugger.

However, there is another pattern that starts with the word "Montreal" that always brings a smile to my face

Dan
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GrtLksMarlin, mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post