The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 AM

ames11b4 is on a distinguished road
Default Fluorescent Green Bead Heads

Does anyone know where to purchase fluorescent green bead heads, like for use on smaller woolly bugger type streamers? I can't seem to find any that are the really bright, almost chartreuse color bead heads online anywhere. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bigjim5589 liked this post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fluorescent Green Bead Heads

Please clarify your request. Fluorescent green means the bead will GLOW green under UV light BUT the without UV light, the color is NOT green. So do you mean a bead that looks chartreuse under regular light OR a bead that fluoresces green?

The color under UV and non UV are not the same. For example Chlorophyll is green but fluoresces red under UV light. See example below.

Click the image to open in full size.

Non UV Chartreuse beads:

Tungsten

Slotted

https://www.mfe-fishing.com/en/world...-fl-chartreuse

Non slotted

Tungsten Fly Tying Beads Chartreuse: Rip Lips Fishing

Brass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Chartreu...-/331477384915

Hot Yellow Beads:

Tungsten Fly Tying Beads Hot Yellow: Rip Lips Fishing

UV Glowing (Phosphorescent) Beads:

Tungsten Fly Tying Beads Glowing White: Rip Lips Fishing

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, bigjim5589, jpbfly, camren liked this post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Scroll down:

Beads/Cones/Eyes Steelhead Flies

Plummeting Tungsten Beads

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, bigjim5589, jpbfly liked this post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 AM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

Allen has a brass ball bead in chartreuse color for a great price.

Brass Ball Beads - Allen Fly Fishing

Likes mcnerney, bigjim5589, jpbfly liked this post
Old 05-08-2017, 10:16 AM

I just started tying my own flies this past weekend, and I am not fully up to speed on all the various materials and terminology yet. Here is a pic of the color and type of bead I am looking for:

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bigjim5589, kentuckysteve liked this post
Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Tungsten Fly Tying Beads Hot Yellow: Rip Lips Fishing

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Likes mcnerney, bigjim5589, kentuckysteve liked this post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:31 AM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

Hareline Dazzle Brass Beads | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Tungsten is much heavier per equal volume than brass and usually costs more. You might check to see what type of metal bead was used with the fly in the photo. You could get tungsten and brass beads and tie using both to see if one type works better in the places you fish.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM

wf0 has a spectacular aura aboutwf0 has a spectacular aura about

I was fishing the Guadalupe (TX) this last weekend. They've lowered the flows, and I hooked into some tippet, and pulled up a fl. chartreuse BH nymph that I tied and lost during the higher flows a month earlier!

This is where I get my colored tung bead heads.

Tungsten Regular Bore
Likes bigjim5589, karstopo, kentuckysteve liked this post
Old 05-10-2017, 11:24 AM

bigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
almost chartreuse color
There's a good descriptive phrase for choosing a color!

With that one phrase, if you ask 1000 anglers to show you a color like that you'll get 1000 answers. Painted beads are actually easy, wait until you try to get hackle that color! LOL!

I used to get worried over colors & shades, but no longer do. As you get into the tying more, you'll find such things as colors are for one, difficult at times to reproduce, and seldom matter a whole lot. Any of the chartreuse, fl. yellow, fl. green shades have been good for me, and although I like specific shades best, like the opaque green in that group that PT posted, the fish really don't seem to care most of the time. At times, you'll notice preferences from these fish we chase, but they're usually exceptions rather than the norm.

BTW, you will never go wrong with asking such a question here as the folks who have given you sources are some of the best tyers and anglers you'll find anywhere!
Likes karstopo, kentuckysteve liked this post
Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 AM

That little beadhead streamer in the picture was given to me by a guide a couple weekends ago, and I meant to buy some off of him but at the end of the day I forgot. It was a brass bead, which seems to look a lot like the Hareline bead karstopo put a link to. Thanks to everyone for your replies, I appreciate all the info.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo, bigjim5589 liked this post