A question about barbless hooks.

ezypikns

Reaction score
I learned to use a fly rod (how well is certainly up for debate) when I was 12. I'm 60 now. You would think that I might have encountered the answer to my question before now, but I've lived in Texas all my life, and never even fished for trout until a few years ago (hatchery fish only).

I'm going to Yellowstone NP in late June. I noticed that only barbless hooks are allowed in the park. Can I smash the barb on existing flies or do I have to purchase flies with barbless hooks?

Thanks

Silver Doc

Reaction score
A little hint that I learned from Lefty Kreh. When you crush the bard don't use the pliers over the point, but use it on the side of the hook. Using it over the hook you'll find that it will snap the hook. Hope this helps Frans S.

wlb06

Reaction score
Silver Doc,

Thats still not very clear what you are talking about.. can you explain that again???

sorry

Silver Doc

Reaction score
Slide the point of your pliers past the barb and then close firmly. Don't clamp down at right angles to the hook. Hope this helps. S.D.

wlb06

Reaction score
Slide the point of your pliers past the barb and then close firmly. Don't clamp down at right angles to the hook. Hope this helps. S.D.
lol, i do know how to de-barb, im just trying to understand what you are saying. the problem is, you say right angles but which way is the hook facing/????

:wink:

Nooksack Mac

Reaction score
You can do it either way, with the pliers' jaws parallel to or 90 degrees from the hook point. But you have to be careful to keep the jaws in the same plane as the point, esp. with small hooks, or the point can easily be broken off.

And you have to flatten the barb clear to the hook shank, not just partway. Here in WA, wardens test the barb with fine cloth. If the barb snags the cloth, you get to explain yourself in court.

MBWCC

Reaction score
The biggest concern would be to use smooth jaw pliers or hemostats--you don't want serrations on the jaws as those will damage (dent) the hook's wire and cause the hook to break.

powerof2

Reaction score
Use the pliers of a Leatherman or a small pair of pliers to smash the barb down. Barbless hooks make life easier, but they tend to be expensive for some reason.

Peace,
j

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have found the Tiemco DeBarb pliers to be the best I have used. I kept a pair at the tying bench and did most of the de-barbing there. The smooth nosed pliers that are shown are good in the field. You can use them to de-barb your hooks and tighten loop knots. You simply tie the loop and place the closed pliers in the loop and apply pressure. Give a little jerk and you are good to fish.

Frank

Tiemco DeBarb Pliers

Smooth Nosed Pliers

JoJer

Reaction score
I tie everything barbless. I've never hooked myself (knock wood!) but if I do, I want it to come out easy. It doesn't seem to affect the holding ability on the fish, and I'd rather lose a couple than injure one unhooking. That said, I smash all the barbs at the vise... with the vice: I stick the hook point in the vise so the jaws smash the barb, then reverse and start tying.