Texas River Fly Assortment

jernigan76

Reaction score
Fairly new to the fly fishing world. I'm looking for direction on where to go online to find a boxed fly assortment for general fishing in Texas rivers and ponds. I basically just want to increase my fly inventory in one or two purchases with flies I would use. I have a 5wt and an 8wt. Thoughts?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I would recommend that you send a pm to Jerry (aka hairwing530), let him do the leg work on what works in Texas and he will tie up some incredible flies for you at a very reasonable price.

jernigan76

Reaction score
Thanks Larry. I read some posts where it looked like he might be a good contact, but I wasn't sure how fast he could get them to me based on the amount of interest in his flies. I will contact him.

karstopo

Reaction score
I think a foam bug/spider like the chartreuse one in the photo are fun and effective. I'd definitely would want some little popper/hopper/foam spider flies in any mix I was thinking about getting. I didn't tie it but got it in a fly swap. Crawfish patterns are pretty good, too. Sometimes, the fish are deeper and a weighted crawfish can be good in that situation.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

fq13

Reaction score
Can you post a recipe for that crawfish!? Are those beads as a tail?
Thanks.

As to the Op I fished out of Austin for years. Are you aiming at lakes or rivers? Two different vibes. But gurglers, poppers, crawfish, wooly buggers, San Juan worms, spiders, hoppers, clouser s and sundry small streamers size 10 to 6 for pan fish and river bass with some larger frogs and zonkers and streamers for lakes should do. Don't miss out on the spring white bass runs either. Plus there are stripers and wipers, but they tend to hang deeper. Never had much luck on a fly with those.

karstopo

Reaction score
Can you post a recipe for that crawfish!? Are those beads as a tail?
Thanks.
The recipe is simple. Have one child, in my case my teenage daughter, go to Bass Pro Shops and surprise you bringing home an $8 crawfish fly. Eight dollars!

No bead that I could see, but it was pretty heavy with some coarse wire wrapped around to form the shell segments. I won't be able to study it as it now resides stuck on a log deep in the lake.

txshane

Reaction score
My top 3 flies for bass are:

1. Frog
2. Clouser
3. Woolly Bugger

For panfish and smaller bass:

1. Grasshopper/caddis/stimulator - or any terrestrial really
2. Woolly Bugger
3. Popper

fq13

Reaction score
The recipe is simple. Have one child, in my case my teenage daughter, go to Bass Pro Shops and surprise you bringing home an $8 crawfish fly. Eight dollars!

No bead that I could see, but it was pretty heavy with some coarse wire wrapped around to form the shell segments. I won't be able to study it as it now resides stuck on a log deep in the lake.
And that there is why we tie our own flies! At eight bucks I hope the guy who sold it to her at least threw in a beer at their restaurant.:D