Discount Flies??

JeffK

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased flies from The Angler's Dream, Blue Fly Cafe, or Big Y Fly Co?

I found these companies on the web, and the prices seem great. Will I be "getting what i pay for"????

Thoughts?

wtex50

Reaction score
Blue Fly Cafe - Yes but not the other two. Blue fly is great -good flies, great price and fast delivery. The Fly Shack is another I use that I am very satisfied with.

brookie

Reaction score
anglers dream, I actually did buy flies from there once and they actually were pretty decent

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
anglers dream and big y are great! once I didn't receive a order and I contacted um and they sent out another order to me.

MBWCC

Reaction score
I have placed several orders with both Blue Fly Cafe and Big Y Fly Co. Service has always been great, flies are certainly good for the price, and obviously the experience was consistently good enough that I went back and would go back to either.

tlcrep

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased flies from The Angler's Dream, Blue Fly Cafe, or Big Y Fly Co?

I found these companies on the web, and the prices seem great. Will I be "getting what i pay for"????

Thoughts?
I have ordered from the blue fly cafe and big y. It has been a long time since I have ordered from blue fly, but as I recall they had exceptional quality. I order from BIg y on a constant basis, and I am not sure I should, I have problems with things like prince nymphs breaking (not breaking on fish, just breaking by having mono tied to the hook bend), have bought yellow stimulators for stonefly dries and the "yellow" was a funky green, ordered fox pupae and the chenile was tied down with *thread* instead of wire.

Gotta give them their props, they are excellent marketter, that free shipping on $35 and %5 credit keeps pulling me back in even with my troubles. Elk hair caddis seem to be a safe bet

stevem

Reaction score
I can give a big thumbs up for Blue Fly Cafe. I placed my first order with them last week and it arrived at my door today, 6 days later. That's some kind of record for any item I've ordered from the U.S.

Flies seem to be very good quality and their prices are great.

troutslayer

Reaction score
I've ordered from the FlyShack and have been very satisfied! I'll have to try Angler's Dream. Used to get some from Angler's Vice until they went out of business.

plland

Reaction score
I've ordered from Blue Fly Cafe. Their flies seem pretty good quality, though sometimes they're tied a little more "basic" than something you'd find at a local outfitter. For the price they're hard to beat, and they ship Priority Mail.

Yukon Jack

Reaction score
I have had great luck with Big Y Fly co, and like the free shipping on orders over $35. The one thing I don't like about Blue Fly Cafe is half of there images of the flies are not available.

Yukon Jack

Lambster

Reaction score
I'M a Fly Designer for Big Y Fly company based out of OR and they do have quality flies, I know Cameron personaly and he and co-workers check all of the flies as they make them....... he tells me that they want quality control plus give a good price to the flyfisher. We designed Mr.Copper as well as 6 other streamers that will become available next year. I have a photo of the new streamers but its a large photo in which I'll try to load for your viewing. Godbless! Tightlines!

Lambster
GeorgiaFlyGuide

yatahey

Reaction score
I received my first order from Anglers Dream a couple weeks ago and fished some of the flies at Elevenmile Canyon and Deckers. They have held up as well as the $1.50-1.75 flies I've bought at the local fly shops and they catch fish. I do feel a little guilty about not buying as many flies at the local shops. I do support them with other purchases, and the shops have some patterns I haven't found online that work to good not to have. Some fly designs at any price get chewed up pretty bad after just a few fish (web wing caddis for instance). Shipment was prompt and the order was correctly filled. They also gave me a credit for one free fly on my next order. The price is so low I order a bunch of each fly. I hate running out of the fly that's working.:( One caveat is they don't offer some of the really small sizes I need for those tiny bug eating Chessman Canyon fish (#24-26).

gvillevol

Reaction score
I recently ordered from Blue Fly Cafe and Mad River Outfitters a week or two ago. Mad River is way more $$ but had some things I couldn't find on other sites. They were well made but Blue Fly really blew me away. They are cheap, quick (got my flies in 3 days) and the quality is outstanding. Now I haven't fished with them yet so I don't know how durable they are but they are great looking flies. I will definitely be buying from Blue Fly again.

WANTONJ

Reaction score
I have ordered flies form a lot of places over the years,I can tell you this the quality and the price from Anglers Dream is excellent,I have used their poppers, drys,streamers,nymphs ,Trout,and Bass flies all are good and well made,shipping is free on some orders and inexpensive on others,the owner Lamar is a very honest person,they bend over backwards to please their customers.they are located in Texas,it looks like a family run business,check them out the prices are real good.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service ,Valley Springs Calif.

axle27

Reaction score
Since I'm not into tying (yet), I ordered my flies from Big Y fly. Not that any of the others are any worse, but the service is good. Ordered the Eastern collection and the midge life cycle in a morel box. (also bought a morel in a different order) They are in Oregon and I'm in VA. Ordered Tuesday and got the order in by Friday. Nice turnaround.

smith950

Reaction score
Another site to consider is Brock's Fly Shop. The flies have been good quality and held up well.

Scott

liv2fish

Reaction score
stay away from Hills discount flies... service was great, they even check back with you to make sure you got everything but the fly quality was real poor upon close inspection. many smaller flies were tied right over the hook eye making tying them on impossible even had a few break on me.

bwo

Reaction score
I've been buying discount flies for years now from Little Dixie Flies in MO. Not only are the flies of excellent quality but I believe they are tied in the USofA.
The quality is excellent!
The prices are excellent!
The service is excellent!
Oy vey, what's not to like???

jclampwork88

Reaction score
I've bought a few flies from different places, but I haven't found anything cheaper than tying my own. On average you can get a set of 12 flies for $10. I tie mine for around 25 cents a piece depending on the pattern. (at times it comes out to be only the cost of the hook and a foot of thread for the simple ones)

John