Help Identifying more flies

dcfoster

Reaction score
Here's some more flies that I need some more help identifying. If anyone could provide the name of the fly, what it's supposed to imitate and the species that it's designed for that would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if I wanted to add more photos, should I add it to this thread in a reply or should I start a new post?

fshng2

Reaction score
The first two are Black Gnats.
Either the second is missing the tail or it is a variant.

Capital City Fly Fishers — Affiliate of the Federation of Fly Fishers — Southern Council

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Third one is very similar to the "Mascot" wet fly Classic.
Classic Wet Flies - Fly Fish Food -- Fly Tying and Fly Fishing

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Last one is a Mrs Simpson

Tying a Mrs Simpson (Variant) by Davie McPhail

Species: Most likely panfish (bream) and trout

bigjim5589

Reaction score
The Mrs. Simpson originated as a New Zealand Trout fly tied in what is called a "Killer" style. That style has hackle, usually some type of spade hackle tied flat along the sides of the hook shank. It's a good fly for trout, and bass.

Your last group of flies, the top fly is a Lefty's Deceiver, of which there are many color variations. It's a style, not a specific pattern.

The next fly looks to be one from Edgewater Flies, which I don't believe is still in business. They manufactured that style of foam head, so it could just be someone tied that fly with an Edgewater foam popper head.

The third one looks like either an Umpqua Swimming Frog, or one of Dave Whitlock's patterns.

The 4th one is a basic popper with a hair tail tied on a stinger style hook.

5 th pic is a deer hair bug and there are many, many variations of that style. It's also tied on a stinger style hook.

The last one is some type of crayfish pattern.

dcfoster

Reaction score
The Mrs. Simpson originated as a New Zealand Trout fly tied in what is called a "Killer" style. That style has hackle, usually some type of spade hackle tied flat along the sides of the hook shank. It's a good fly for trout, and bass.

Your last group of flies, the top fly is a Lefty's Deceiver, of which there are many color variations. It's a style, not a specific pattern.

The next fly looks to be one from Edgewater Flies, which I don't believe is still in business. They manufactured that style of foam head, so it could just be someone tied that fly with an Edgewater foam popper head.

The third one looks like either an Umpqua Swimming Frog, or one of Dave Whitlock's patterns.

The 4th one is a basic popper with a hair tail tied on a stinger style hook.

5 th pic is a deer hair bug and there are many, many variations of that style. It's also tied on a stinger style hook.

The last one is some type of crayfish pattern.

Thanks for your help. I have a question about the deceiver. What fish would you use the deceiver for? Pike? Bass? Salmon? It was given to me in Egypt for Nile Perch/Tiger Fish but I’m not sure what it would work for here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Lefty Kreh tied the Deceiver originally to target Striped Bass in the Chesapeake Bay in the 50's, and since that time it's taken just about every fish that swims & can be caught on a fly rod, so take your pick. :D

It's one of the 2 best baitfish style flies ever devised, with the Clouser Minnow being the other. ;)

fshng2

Reaction score
Thanks so much! And how about the long orange one?

Also, are the the black gnats wet flies? And what would I use them for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The orange one, I would call a no name streamer good for any predator type fish trout, bass, etc.
The gnats and the Mrs Simpson are all wet flies.
They will definitely catch trout, bream and smaller bass.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Thanks for everyones help.

Here are some more pics that I need help identifying:

The top one is a Dahlberg Diver and the bottom one in MHO mimics it.
The DD was created by Larry Dahlberg. For bass he usually ties it as a size 1 and up.
Both of these flys will swim similarly.
Attached is a response from Larry and how he fishes it.
hi Guys
IF you're having trouble either making a diver work or catching fish on them I'd have to surmise they are not tied correctly.
They should float at rest, pop and dive if you pull 'em, then resurface if you quit pulling.
I typically fish them pretty fast with pops, strips, and sometimes long three foot bubble chains. Sometime even on sinking lines and let them grind bottom like a crank bait.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish

dcfoster

Reaction score
Thanks again for everyones help with this. It won't last forever!

Here are a few more:

The following two pictures are of flies that were given to me for Nile Perch/Tiger Fish... any ideas for over here?

Also, one guy called these baitfish patterns. Is there a more specific name?

I know this one looks like the deceiver I posted earlier but it's a bit different... not sure if it would still be considered a deceiver? Would this also be good for Pike/Bass?

fshng2

Reaction score
Thanks again for everyones help with this. It won't last forever!
Here are a few more:
#1 Reminds me of a bomber with a mouse tail.
I'll call it a Floating Mouse.
#2 Clouser Variant (estaz and maribou is added)
#3 Baitfish is correct
#4 Weighted Mickey Finn Variant (black bucktail on top is added)

Any of these patterns can be used for predator type fish.
If it fits in their mouth they will at the right time try to eat it.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Actually, that # 2 in that last group of pictures is a Whistler, originated by Dan Blanton. It's an excellent Striped Bass fly, for which it was originally tied, and can be used for other predatory fish as well.

The last one is a bucktail streamer, not necessarily based on the Mickey Finn, which is also a bucktail streamer. That last one looks to have a body wrapped with copper wire, which would add a bit of flash, and weight without getting real heavy like lead wire would do. There are many, many bucktail streamer patterns. If that particular fly had a tail of bucktail, it could have very well been based on the old Joe Brooks Blonde series of bucktail streamers. There are several color combinations in the Blonde series.

The two "baitfish" flies look to be tied with some type of synthetic. That type of fly has become popular, but fact is there are many variations on the same style, and those may not even have a "name". Even though synthetic hairs have been used for many years now, Enrico Puglusi, a very talented fly tyer who specialized in tying with synthetic materials, popularized that baitfish style. Others have followed, but the basic fly style is the same or very similar. :)

philly

Reaction score
The first appears to be a mouse pattern of some sort. or a Bomber with a tail. Certainly would work for bass, pike and larger trout. The second one could be Whistler, initially a salt water fly, color would work for bass. I'd call them badly tied, but that's just my opinion. The black and purple really doesn't match any bait fish that I know of but those colors and combinations of them are popular colors for soft plastic baits used for bass by the dark side anglers. Second, color doesn't match any bait fish I know, but if it creates the illusion of a bait fish, no reason it shouldn't work. Depending on it's size you should be able to catch bass or pike on it. I don't tie "traditional" flies but it's a hair wing streamer. Excellent color for pike. Should be able to catch bass and trout on it also.

kevind62

Reaction score
Not sure about the bottom three, but the top two are definitely "Bigfoot Flies". You can tell easily by the blurry, grainy, quality of the photos.
:lol2:

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Here's some more flies that I need some more help identifying. If anyone could provide the name of the fly, what it's supposed to imitate and the species that it's designed for that would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if I wanted to add more photos, should I add it to this thread in a reply or should I start a new post?